Adams minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adams minutes

Reaction Score
He's a low ceiling, high floor player who generally doesn't make mistakes and is therefore kind of a security blanket for Hurley.

That said, Hurley needs to get out of his comfort zone if we're going to be a truly dangerous team.
Totally agree.

As to the low ceiling, high floor player who genetally doesn't make mistakes. We already have that in Gaffney, when we have both Gaff and Adams in the game we don't turn the ball over but we also don't really do anything. I think Jackson's athleticism alone will make some things happen with more minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All the COVID stoppages are going to hurt the freshmen more. It isn't a surprise that Jackson struggles a bit with his role. He'll get there. Last night, I think it could have been one of those times when you say "You've been playing basketball your whole life. Take the ball and do what you do. Drive and dish or drive and score. Lockdown your guy. Don't worry about the rest of it right now." In the first half we were struggling for answers.

Understood on the freshmen being behind. Jackson also had the nagging knee injury which needed time.

All that said, I'm still a bit confused over Hurley throwing the hype on him. Freshmen, even those who are ready on Day 1, are notorious for being inconsistent. Hurley could have easily avoiding putting unnecessary hype on Jackson.

Reaction Score
Adams was recruited to play at Rhode Island, not Big East power UConn. He is a mid-major talent and should be considered such. We have seen enough of him to understand that he is not a difference maker in any sense of the word. Give him 10 minutes a game and no more. Martin is a mid-major player as well but his defense and rebounding is valuable. Most people on the board say Jackson can't shoot and is lost out there. Well, nobody else can shoot or score either so let's develop the young man. His upside is higher than anyone else on the bench.

Reaction Score
He's a low ceiling, high floor player who generally doesn't make mistakes and is therefore kind of a security blanket for Hurley.

That said, Hurley needs to get out of his comfort zone if we're going to be a truly dangerous team.
No doubt. He also isn't going to learn if we don't get him minutes. If our two top 100 recruits are both barely seeing the floor and developing that is a problem. It looks bad to recruits, and we're not developing our talent for the future. Maybe Creighton wasn't the team to do that against, but it needs to happen soon.

Normally Hurley wouldn't have to do it right away, but we're already into Big East play because of this crap COVID season. But on the other hand, we've had so little full practice time because of said COVID that guys like Jackson, Sanogo and the injured guys likely haven't even gotten the normal number of offseason practices in, and we're in conference game play.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. I don't blame Hurley for relying on experience and steadiness under these conditions. When you have James B Bouknight to carry the offense, you can be competitive then as long as the defense is stout. And team defense is only as good as your weakest link.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt. He also isn't going to learn if we don't get him minutes. If our two top 100 recruits are both barely seeing the floor and developing that is a problem. It looks bad to recruits, and we're not developing our talent for the future. Maybe Creighton wasn't the team to do that against, but it needs to happen soon.
Yeah, I don't disagree, but COVID had a big impact here. Only minimal pre-season cupcake games and now we are into the Big East games. It's quirky. I have no doubt that they'll get minutes. I also think Jackson, for all his limitations (defense, shooting) is going to be a special player for us. I agree that he's got to out on the court for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I am always critical of adams and I will give him his due and say his defense was very good yesterday. Even with that he just shouldn’t have gotten as many minutes as he got yesterday.
I think Jackson should get time to learn and make mistakes on the court.
I thought our best lineup yesterday was gaff Cole bouk Martin and Whaley. So if Jackson’s minutes are going to stay low that Lineup should get more time than the lineup with adams in it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Understood on the freshmen being behind. Jackson also had the nagging knee injury which needed time.

All that said, I'm still a bit confused over Hurley throwing the hype on him. Freshmen, even those who are ready on Day 1, are notorious for being inconsistent. Hurley could have easily avoiding putting unnecessary hype on Jackson.
[Shrugs] One man's "unnecessary hype" is another man's giving confidence to a start freshman...

I feel like Jackson is going to have a break out game within the next few weeks (against an easier opponent) and the BY will be all, he should have been getting 35 minutes a game since the start of the season. It's a process.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Brendan Adams has 57 minutes played in the last 3 games and has contributed a total of 4 points and 1 assist. Not looking to bash the kid but that ain't working.
What would it look like if you did want to bash the kid?

Reaction Score
Here's a few reasons that ultimately added up to Brendan getting the minutes he got:

#1- 4th game of the season after a 17-day layoff against one of the best offensive teams in the Big East...need someone who will be as reliable and stout as possible on defense. Adams wins this over Jackson & it's not even close
#2- Foul troubles and situational matchups as the game progressed
#3- Offensive-wise, it became clear that it was less important to have another offensive threat out there given that Bouk was having his way vs. pretty much anything Creighton threw at him. Jackson wasn't going to solve our 3-point woes during the game, nor was his *potential* better passing abilities going to have any signifincantly tangible influence on how our offensive game plan was progressing thru the game (Bouk show)

I'm as big a Adams fan as any on this board, but I think he will start to see fewer minutes in the upcoming few games based on lower-quality opponents and situational matchups that may favor Jackson (and Martin, Gaffney). The only thing that might change this is if he catches fire from beyond the arc. I'm always hopeful, but can only be cautiously optimistic

Reaction Score
Yesterday was a unique circumstance, coming off an extended layoff within only a small number of games played and a game against an experienced top 10 team. Hurley clearly leaned more on the older guys. I would not read too much into the rotation- I am sure he appreciates the importance of bringing the freshman along in the big picture and in the context of this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
[Shrugs] One man's "unnecessary hype" is another man's giving confidence to a start freshman...

I feel like Jackson is going to have a break out game within the next few weeks (against an easier opponent) and the BY will be all, he should have been getting 35 minutes a game since the start of the season. It's a process.

Saying something along the lines of "He has bee progressing well in practice and is proving to be a key player on our team as we strive for national excellence" implies he is doing well and will contribute.

Saying you think he can be one of the best freshmen guards in the country sets up a whole 'nother layer of expectations.

I'll add the few times I saw Jackson on the court, he really looks big. Broad shoulders and definitely looks like a 3/4 more than a 2/3 player going forward.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hurley said in the presser that Jackson and Sanogo were lost on D and that is why they didn't play more. I want to see more playing time for both but I also like that Hurley is going to make them earn it defensively.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Here's the article and quote from November. I think there were plenty of toned down ways to say Hurley wants Jackson to improve and play with confidence without going as far as Hurley did.

Newcomers will continue UConn men’s transformation to Dan Hurley’s type of team - Hartford Courant

Hurley says: “He’s a freak athlete in every way, a tremendous passer, he’s going to help us on both backboards, he could guard 1 through 4, he could play point guard or any guard spot and he’s shot the ball better than we were anticipating. As a freshman, he’s going to have a major impact and compete to start and have a chance to be one of the most impactful freshman guards in the country.”

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with the o.p. in the sense that rosters generally shrink as the season goes on. He brings some hustle and some D, but not much else. His minutes probably disappear if Akok and Polley return. His minutes may shrink even if those guys do not return.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Totally agree.

As to the low ceiling, high floor player who genetally doesn't make mistakes. We already have that in Gaffney, when we have both Gaff and Adams in the game we don't turn the ball over but we also don't really do anything. I think Jackson's athleticism alone will make some things happen with more minutes.
Gaffney doesn’t turn the ball over because it’s really hard to turn the ball over taking one dribble then passing to a player two feet away. Jackson is a high high high ceiling player and needs reps now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jackson brings way better passing/ball movement than Adams, I think Jackson is the best passer on the team.
I think he is too. It’s his situational awareness in regards to his coaches schemes on both ends that are killing him/us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he is too. It’s his situational awareness in regards to his coaches schemes on both ends that are killing him/us.

Great line. I don't think he is clueless like Jumpman was clueless, but Jackson is lost. He hasn't figured out how to do what he does in the schemes Hurley is running. Jackson and Adams seem to stick out like a sore thumb when they're on the court.

August_West

Reaction Score
don't think he is clueless like Jumpman was clueless

Defintiely not at Kwintins level or close, or to harken back to the great old days, of Enoch guarding people with his ass, but I watched him hard yesterday because I love his upside and he's got serious gifts, but he just doesnt know what hes doing yet. He'll get there. I know he will.

August_West

Reaction Score
Great line. I don't think he is clueless like Jumpman was clueless, but Jackson is lost. He hasn't figured out how to do what he does in the schemes Hurley is running. Jackson and Adams seem to stick out like a sore thumb when they're on the court.

Sanogo has a rough time on the defensive end too. I dont expect him to be Whaley or even Carlton, (at this point of his freshman season) but hes kinda really lost on hedges, helps and recovery's. Which is too bad because he is way more effective on offensive end than AJ right now. (or really any of our bigs just if you are talking raw offensive post talent)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sanogo has a rough time on the defensive end too. I dont expect him to be Whaley or even Carlton, (at this point of his freshman season) but hes kinda really lost on hedges, helps and recovery's. Which is too bad because he is way more effective on offensive end than AJ right now. (or really any of our bigs just if you are talking raw offensive post talent)

Sanogo is rough at everything on defense but at least he can grab a rebound when the ball misses.

Reaction Score
This was discussed in quite a few of the post-game threads. The move is about now and the future. Adams' defense is really isn't anything great. He's a zero on offense and often makes selfish plays. He made a few bad mistakes yesterday that weren't punished by Hurley. Like many others, I was stunned to look at the postgame stat sheet and see he played 27 minutes. I would have guessed he played ten. Jackson gets lost on some rotations, more than Adams, so that must be the reason for the rotation being as is. But Jackson is the best passer on the team, he can rebound, he plays the passing lanes. He's not a complete zero on defense. This team needs a shot in the arm on offense when it comes to creating looks, ball movement, etc. Jackson should be able to provide that. In a measly 8 mpg, he's tied for 3rd in assists.

On a day like yesterday where we got nothing offensively outside of superhero Bouk, Jackson at least made two nice entry passes to the bigs who sealed inside vs the zone (at least I think it was vs zone both times). None of our other guards were looking inside or getting anything else going besides playing Hot Potato on the perimeter and throwing up a terrible jumper at the end of the shot clock or driving into traffic and throwing up a prayer.

Reaction Score
This was discussed in quite a few of the post-game threads. The move is about now and the future. Adams' defense is really isn't anything great. He's a zero on offense and often makes selfish plays. He made a few bad mistakes yesterday that weren't punished by Hurley. Like many others, I was stunned to look at the postgame stat sheet and see he played 27 minutes. I would have guessed he played ten. Jackson gets lost on some rotations, more than Adams, so that must be the reason for the rotation being as is. But Jackson is the best passer on the team, he can rebound, he plays the passing lanes. He's not a complete zero on defense. This team needs a shot in the arm on offense when it comes to creating looks, ball movement, etc. Jackson should be able to provide that. In a measly 8 mpg, he's tied for 3rd in assists.

On a day like yesterday where we got nothing offensively outside of superhero Bouk, Jackson at least made two nice entry passes to the bigs who sealed inside vs the zone (at least I think it was vs zone both times). None of our other guards were looking inside or getting anything else going besides playing Hot Potato on the perimeter and throwing up a terrible jumper at the end of the shot clock or driving into traffic and throwing up a prayer.
I say you have to play Dre' because he has the upside that Adams doesn't. So what if he's lost right now, let him play and get comfortable because the risk is worth the reward. Give him a few plays with ball at the high post and guys moving and cutting, and show off his passing. As he gets more comfortable and confident, he'll shine.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jackson was never ahead of Adams in the rotation. Right now Adams and Martin are fighting for the 3rd guard spot. Neither is lighting it up offensively, but they shouldn't have to. Hit an open spot up jumper and grab some other loose change while you defend and take care of the ball. Whoever does that best, plays. Both are the 4th scoring option on the court.

Adams has been running the second unit when Cole is out. That's really the only distinction I see right now. Hurley will hopefully play the hot hand and not overthink this spot. Find someone to make opponents pay for overplaying Bouk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley likes playing 3 guards, and that is getting Adams and Gaffney a lot of PT. I do not like that lineup. Martin or Polley at the other wing makes our lives a lot easier on both ends of the court. Polley is 5 inches taller than Adams. I don't care if Polley doesn't have a handle, he can shoot over most 3's and is a threat to score at the basket. He doesn't need to be as quick as Adams to contest shots on D and he is much more effective in help D. Martin is more athletic than Adams, taller, and probably has 3-4 inches on him in wingspan. That means he can both challenge shots and make passes more difficult.

Hurley then ends up moving Martin to the 4, so Whaley or Carlton is by themselves inside on both ends and on the boards. Martin is tough, but at this level, everyone is tough. He just isn't big enough to bang with player 2-4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier.

A team just needs size, and with Cole and Bouk, we don't need 3 or 4 ballhandlers on the court. We need bigger lineups on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom