Adams Isn't Ready for Alpha | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adams Isn't Ready for Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think his handle is fine. Its more that he occasionally tries to dribble through doubles.
It's good. It's not great. I actually thought he played pretty conservative in the 2nd half. He wasn't spectacular, but he kept under control. He's going to be an incredible 4 yr guy. I mean incredible.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It is worrisome that Jalen is so sloppy with the ball in important situations. That around the back dribble late in the game was such a bad idea and it never seemed to occur to him to slow it down and protect the ball there. At the same time, I think that he is the one who needs to be our #1 PG whether AG is back or not. JA is the only one who show the ability to break down the zone defense and dish or finish inside. He has some really good looks that teammates did not finish, could have had 8-9 assists easily. I think that KO should have prioritized making JA our #1 guy with the ball from the start this year. Not that he was particularly ready, but we need him to run the show and hopefully make better decisions with time.

Reaction Score
It is worrisome that Jalen is so sloppy with the ball in important situations. That around the back dribble late in the game was such a bad idea and it never seemed to occur to him to slow it down and protect the ball there. At the same time, I think that he is the one who needs to be our #1 PG whether AG is back or not. JA is the only one who show the ability to break down the zone defense and dish or finish inside. He has some really good looks that teammates did not finish, could have had 8-9 assists easily. I think that KO should have prioritized making JA our #1 guy with the ball from the start this year. Not that he was particularly ready, but we need him to run the show and hopefully make better decisions with time.

Now we do Db2u without AG but he's much better off the ball I think. I believe he and AG would have been (maybe still will?) excellent 1-2 by mid year or so. AG is much more of a PG and while both have a lot to learn, JA is still always at full speed ahead. He is creative no doubt and can get to the lane as well as anyone, but still needs to have a plan. See the play he wants to make prior to getting there. He loves to hit the side at full speed and go under the basket, that works if someone leaves their guy so he can pass it in, but more often than not there's little there if the defense is good.

JA will be our guy, learning on the fly it will be. Hate to say he and the Huskies will both be better for it, but it is true.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Ag is out a while this may help JA in gaining more confidence
I can see that the tools are there but now he needs the non physical stuff - its in the head
We knew he was a streaky shooter and he tries to do way too much sometimes
He should have had at least 10 assists last night but his team needs to find their hands
I am not sure he will be a Kemba or a Bazz but he will be much improved by years end as will this team as a whole

Reaction Score
Jalen was struggling to get inside the arc at all until the final 10 minutes, but after that he was great. He's what made the offense tick when it did. He's still only got one season under his belt, and he'll be a lot better than he is now in March.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is why I didn't think AG should be starting. Adams needs to be the PG and offensive leader on this team. He's not very good off the ball, and doesn't add much when AG is playing point. Gilbert isn't a great shooter (yet) so is not really a SG. I'm honestly not a fan of playing them together, except where we are facing a press or perhaps pressing. The results have borne that out as our offense has been awful in those situations.

I thought the Huskies found themselves a little bit with the JA, RP, TL, KF, AB lineup. The three guard lineup isn't working. We get killed inside and on the boards. Once we went big with Larrier at the 3 and Facey at the 4, we destroyed LMU on the boards. I hate to see a kid get hurt, and he's going to be a hell of a player, but it may be a blessing in disguise and allow this team to gel. Vital filled in nicely, and is a more natural combo guard than either JA or AG.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We're three games in and it seemed like Adams had already resigned himself to the fact that Alterique was the lead guard. Every time Adams touched the ball in a half-court set he looked like he couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It's mental at this point. Let's not forget how good he looked at times last year when nobody else would take the lead and he had nothing to lose. Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to an entire sophomore slump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom