Adams and Gaffney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adams and Gaffney

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Well technically we did have 5 guards/SF but now 2 are injured.
He didn't. Martin & Jackson are 3/4s in the modern game, not 2/3s.

Next year's roster will be more balanced with RJ, Jalen and 'Shool as 1s, Brenden as a combo and Hawkins as a pure SG. Martin & Jackson will just be full-time forwards, as they should be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like this.

The Drew Hurley Countdown to playing time watch has commenced.

Lots of strong hot takes in this thread. Someone or Someones is going to be eating some crow.

I was on record at beginning of season of saying I thought Drew was going to get more minutes this year than Brown. Right now Brown is up 4 minutes to 3 minutes. I think Brown is done with minutes though. Also, I probably wussed out and said "might" or "wouldn't surprise me" but it's still a simmering take which isn't over yet.

Reaction Score
He didn't. Martin & Jackson are 3/4s in the modern game, not 2/3s.

Next year's roster will be more balanced with RJ, Jalen and 'Shool as 1s, Brenden as a combo and Hawkins as a pure SG. Martin & Jackson will just be full-time forwards, as they should be.
Martin has the 2 tools too. He is just a big guard. Don't get stuck in positions. He really shouldn't be playing the 4. He is really a 2/3 who can play the 4 since we didn't have anyone who could play the 4 until Polley stepped up. Either way he can definitely guard 2-4 and possibly 1 at time. Good thing AJ Cole has been a great defender on 1's.

Reaction Score
Once again, with Bouk out, we're back to where we kept getting stuck in the down years after '16 -- not enough healthy guards. We're down to 3 -- Cole, Gaffney and Adams. Yes, we got some minutes with Martin playing the 2 against DePaul, and he can presumably provide some minutes there, but is he really be going to able to handle a Villanova 2 defensively?

The bottom line is we need more out of Adams and Gaffney, who are each going to have to play 25 minutes a game. In Gaffney's case, he only needs to score when opportunities are there, but he has to be less "deer in the headlights" as he was the first half of last season and so far this year, and far more comfortable running the show and taking something if it's given to him.

Adams has to score more. You can deal with your off guard scoring the 7 points (IIRC) he had against Butler, but not the 3 he had against DePaul. He has to be able to contribute on some level to our offense every game now. I have no clue if he's going to be able to do it.

You have 13 scholarships. You need to carry a 5th scholarship guard, even if it's a grad transfer not quite up to your level but there if you need to break the glass, or a freshman who was recruited to sit and learn for a year before they are ready to start competing for minutes. I don't understand why we constantly end up starting with 4 guards and hoping none of them get hurt.
We just need everyone to step up period. Whaley has been the only other consistent player to complement Bouk. Even if guards can't handle Nova, let's dominate in other areas and get consistency from all

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You only really NEED 2 or 3 guards if the other team is pressing. I honestly didn't understand why Hurley has been playing so much small ball this year because we are better with bigger lineups. Gaff and Adams are decent backups, but they should not be playing 20+ minutes.

I would play Cole, Gaff and Adams about 70 minutes a game, play Martin the other 10 at 2, and rotate Martin, Polley, Carlton, Whalley and Sanogo at the other 3 spots.

Sanogo looks like he has dropped about 10 pounds since November, so he can cover slower 4's, which means we can play him in short stretches with Carlton.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bouk was cable of being the third "point." Jackson should be listed as a guard, which would've given us 5. Martin can also spend time at the 2 when necessary.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let me see, who do I want to shoot more in the next few games?

FG Shooting %

Cole 32%
Gaffney 32%
Adams 34%

Martin 44%
Polley 46%

Whaley 55%
Sanogo 53%
Carltin 52%
This is disingenuous considering the bigs almost never create their own shots. Playing through them consistently would disappoint you.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Dre qualify as a guard/small forward player ala RIP? Not comparing them as players just as position fillers. Andre Jackson, Connecticut Huskies, Shooting Guard
This is his big opportunity for him
If he is healthy. Unless is was a compound fracture.
This is disingenuous considering the bigs almost never create their own shots. Playing through them consistently would disappoint you.
actually the Bigs FG % with the possible exception of Wha
Wouldn't Dre qualify as a guard/small forward player ala RIP? Not comparing them as players just as position fillers. Andre Jackson, Connecticut Huskies, Shooting Guard
Right now Dre has zero confidence in his shot. I like him with the ball in his hand. He see the court real well for a guy his size.
He will be a big PG at the next level.
His skill set is similar ( please I’m not equating the two) to a young Magic.
obviously even as a college kid Magic had developed those skills to a special level. But if I were him he is the guy I would be studying.
I’m afraid the wrist hurt that progress which would have been special to see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You want players dribble driving from the perimeter? The 1990's called and want their style of basketball back.

Self-created shot = lower percentage shot. Shots off pass = higher percentage shot. Do you realize that there isn't a defense in college basketball that can't stop perimeter dribble penetration for 90% of the players? How do you think our backcourt got to 30% shooting?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You want players dribble driving from the perimeter? The 1990's called and want their style of basketball back.

Self-created shot = lower percentage shot. Shots off pass = higher percentage shot. Do you realize that there isn't a defense in college basketball that can't stop perimeter dribble penetration for 90% of the players? How do you think our backcourt got to 30% shooting?
Dribbe driving creates kick out and drop down passes in the half court. It's not like you can swing the ball around for 25 seconds and expect the defense to just stop following the ball. I must be misunderstanding what you're saying? And good backcourt players don't shoot 30%, we just happen to only have 1 (extraordinarily) good guard, who creates almost all of his offense off driving to the rim.

Reaction Score
Playing through is not the same as shooting. When was the last time Adams created his own shot vs. creating his own turnover? Gaffney is afraid to shoot and Cole can't dribble. Polley and Martin need to take more shots than these 3 combined as do Carlton, Whaley and Sanogo.
If these 3 guards are able to create shots, create them for your teammates who can actually make shots.

Reaction Score
Please stop
Josh would get minutes in the backcourt before Hurley
I'm not talking about regularly -- I'm talking about for a few games when needed.

There was an undersized power forward out of Southington I believe in the late aughts, who gave us some decent minutes when shorthanded. An off guard from I think Windsor, who early in a conference game blew by someone off the dribble for a lay in a few years later. And the UConn grad student French walk on Sami something, who ended up being our back up point the year we lost to N.C State in Worcester in the tourney. Just off the top of my head.
You have to do better than that. Names?

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this but where does this idea about Gaffney come from? Was in Zagoria's article about Corey Floyd Jr. committing. I mean it could happen but there's no way you could say that right now.

UConn expects to lose James Bouknight and potentially Jalen Gaffney to the pros in the next year or two, so Floyd will be able to slide in and help take over after them.

Reaction Score
Why would a coach's son be any smarter than anyone else's son?
The inferencev is that he learned a little bit about basketball from his dad DH. Is that a stretch for you or do you feel more comfortable attributing race to people’s abilities?

Reaction Score
The inferencev is that he learned a little bit about basketball from his dad DH. Is that a stretch for you or do you feel more comfortable attributing race to people’s abilities?
I hope and assume that was the intended inference. I was basically just trolling. However, even in my trolling, I was not attributing anyone's abilities to anything. Quite the opposite: I was questioning whether the OP was doing exactly that of which you accuse me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You have 13 scholarships. You need to carry a 5th scholarship guard, even if it's a grad transfer not quite up to your level but there if you need to break the glass, or a freshman who was recruited to sit and learn for a year before they are ready to start competing for minutes. I don't understand why we constantly end up starting with 4 guards and hoping none of them get hurt.
Correct me if I'm wrong but they have five scholarship guards. Two are hurt.

Martin is listed at guard and would make six, but he plays like a wing.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong but they have five scholarship guards. Two are hurt.

Martin is listed at guard and would make six, but he plays like a wing.

The only guards on the roster are RJ, Bouk, Adams and Gaffney. They can list Martin and Andre however they want on the roster, but Martin is a 3 versatile enough to give you minutes at the 2 or 4 and Jackson, however they list him, is not capable of playing the 2 at this stage of his career. Nor was he playing that in his cameos before the injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom