Adams and Gaffney | The Boneyard

Adams and Gaffney

Reaction Score
Once again, with Bouk out, we're back to where we kept getting stuck in the down years after '16 -- not enough healthy guards. We're down to 3 -- Cole, Gaffney and Adams. Yes, we got some minutes with Martin playing the 2 against DePaul, and he can presumably provide some minutes there, but is he really be going to able to handle a Villanova 2 defensively?

The bottom line is we need more out of Adams and Gaffney, who are each going to have to play 25 minutes a game. In Gaffney's case, he only needs to score when opportunities are there, but he has to be less "deer in the headlights" as he was the first half of last season and so far this year, and far more comfortable running the show and taking something if it's given to him.

Adams has to score more. You can deal with your off guard scoring the 7 points (IIRC) he had against Butler, but not the 3 he had against DePaul. He has to be able to contribute on some level to our offense every game now. I have no clue if he's going to be able to do it.

You have 13 scholarships. You need to carry a 5th scholarship guard, even if it's a grad transfer not quite up to your level but there if you need to break the glass, or a freshman who was recruited to sit and learn for a year before they are ready to start competing for minutes. I don't understand why we constantly end up starting with 4 guards and hoping none of them get hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really need our PG's to be able to get by their man and collapse a defense to set up a BAdams or Tyler Phommachanh 3 ball they can step into. Polley can hit them in transition which we might have to lean on, though he's bound to cool off at some point

Reaction Score
Adams should not have the green light to shoot more. He's prone to ridiculous hero ball as it is.

Gaffney needs to shoot more--He leaves open shots on the floor constantly.

Both of them need to get to the rim more aggressively.

Reaction Score
I don’t really want either one of those dudes shooting much. Maybe Adams on the off Chance his “once every 6 games” three point shot is falling. I think our best bet is still obviously Polley / hope cole heats up(it’s time now) and Martin. Kinda crazy that out of all three of our guards available now- 2 have regressed (Adams gaff) and 1 has not shown what was expected(Cole). Can one of u Guys have a breakout game please? I still have faith in RJ tho. Let’s go!!!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
They made a mistake with the roster construction where they left themselves a guard short. I theorize this is because they thought Dre was going to play guard/wing but he A physically looks and moves more like a forward and B got injured.

I like the idea of giving Andrew some run, maybe 5-7 minutes per. Have him be an extension of his father on the floor, the smartest player on the floor. We have enough pieces underneath that if he gets beat on D we can make up for it.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of giving Andrew some run, maybe 5-7 minutes per. Have him be an extension of his father on the floor, the smartest player on the floor. We have enough pieces underneath that if he gets beat on D we can make up for it.
I didn't think I'd find a take I disagreed with more than saying Brendan Adams should shoot more but here we are

Reaction Score

There are 350 division 1 basketball schools in this country and exactly 0 of the 1500+ head coaches and assistants thought Andrew Hurley was good enough to play for them on a scholarship. This take is at nuclear fusion levels of hot.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
There are 350 division 1 basketball schools in this country and exactly 0 of the 1500+ head coaches and assistants thought Andrew Hurley was good enough to play for them on a scholarship. This take is at nuclear fusion levels of hot.
I agree it’s not ideal but we’re heading into a 10 game in 31 day stretch with 3 active guards. They’re going to beat up our guards knowing how short we are. We can find spot minutes for a placeholder to get our guards some rest.

Reaction Score
They made a mistake with the roster construction where they left themselves a guard short. I theorize this is because they thought Dre was going to play guard/wing but he A physically looks and moves more like a forward and B got injured.

What makes you think he would be the smartest player on the floor?

Reaction Score
1. We saw enough of Jackson pre-injury to know that, at least at the moment, he's not a guard. He could probably guard a 2, but he doesn't have a shot yet.

2. It's great when you have walk ons who can give you 7 minutes without hurting you too much. Calhoun always seemed to have one who you could play for a few minutes and he'd look up to level because you could hide his deficiencies. I have no clue if Hurley's son can or can't. But unlike others, given his lineage he did not fail to get a scholarship offer because he fell through the cracks.

3. I don't want Brendan Adams points to go up because he gets 10 points from 14 shots rather than 5 from 7. I want him to friggin make more of the shots he takes. We know from last year he is capable of more offensively than he has given us the last few games (other than the Butler game).

Reaction Score
Given the injury situation and roster construction as it exists right now.. Maybe DH/staff can create viable and effective lineups that emphasize our Bigs more than a heavy orientation towards Small Ball. Fouls/Game situations/match ups obviously all play into it but I would think that we would need to protect our guards from foul trouble and letting them catch a quick rest on the bench.. The team on the court may need to look a bit different for a few weeks.. Would be nice to see AA start to catch his stride while JB/AJ are healing.

Not optimal .. Time for the depth that we have talked about to show itself.. No other choice..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Is that you Mrs Hurley?

Reaction Score
1. We saw enough of Jackson pre-injury to know that, at least at the moment, he's not a guard. He could probably guard a 2, but he doesn't have a shot yet.

2. It's great when you have walk ons who can give you 7 minutes without hurting you too much. Calhoun always seemed to have one who you could play for a few minutes and he'd look up to level because you could hide his deficiencies. I have no clue if Hurley's son can or can't. But unlike others, given his lineage he did not fail to get a scholarship offer because he fell through the cracks.

3. I don't want Brendan Adams points to go up because he gets 10 points from 14 shots rather than 5 from 7. I want him to friggin make more of the shots he takes. We know from last year he is capable of more offensively than he has given us the last few games (other than the Butler game).
What walk ons other than EJ Harrison played any meaningful minute?

Reaction Score
What walk ons other than EJ Harrison played any meaningful minute?
I'm not talking about regularly -- I'm talking about for a few games when needed.

There was an undersized power forward out of Southington I believe in the late aughts, who gave us some decent minutes when shorthanded. An off guard from I think Windsor, who early in a conference game blew by someone off the dribble for a lay in a few years later. And the UConn grad student French walk on Sami something, who ended up being our back up point the year we lost to N.C State in Worcester in the tourney. Just off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about regularly -- I'm talking about for a few games when needed.

There was an undersized power forward out of Southington I believe in the late aughts, who gave us some decent minutes when shorthanded. An off guard from I think Windsor, who early in a conference game blew by someone off the dribble for a lay in a few years later. And the UConn grad student French walk on Sami something, who ended up being our back up point the year we lost to N.C State in Worcester in the tourney. Just off the top of my head.
Too bad Matt Garry is also injured.. He might have been able to help for a few minutes..

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
You have 13 scholarships. You need to carry a 5th scholarship guard, even if it's a grad transfer not quite up to your level but there if you need to break the glass, or a freshman who was recruited to sit and learn for a year before they are ready to start competing for minutes. I don't understand why we constantly end up starting with 4 guards and hoping none of them get hurt.
Yeah, this is my biggest gripe with the Hurley era so far. It's almost like b/c he never had a shot at landing NBA-potential bigs with URI that he's now overdosing on them now with us at the expense of having a more balanced squad.

Let's hope he learns from this, but five guards -- three of them being guys who can play the point -- are a necessity. We should know this by now.

Reaction Score
I agree it’s not ideal but we’re heading into a 10 game in 31 day stretch with 3 active guards. They’re going to beat up our guards knowing how short we are. We can find spot minutes for a placeholder to get our guards some rest.

I don't think you're appreciating the gap in ability and athleticism between a walk on and even a rotation guy like Brendan Adams. There’s a reason the bench freaks out when a walk on scores.

Reaction Score
Once again, with Bouk out, we're back to where we kept getting stuck in the down years after '16 -- not enough healthy guards. We're down to 3 -- Cole, Gaffney and Adams. Yes, we got some minutes with Martin playing the 2 against DePaul, and he can presumably provide some minutes there, but is he really be going to able to handle a Villanova 2 defensively?

The bottom line is we need more out of Adams and Gaffney, who are each going to have to play 25 minutes a game. In Gaffney's case, he only needs to score when opportunities are there, but he has to be less "deer in the headlights" as he was the first half of last season and so far this year, and far more comfortable running the show and taking something if it's given to him.

Adams has to score more. You can deal with your off guard scoring the 7 points (IIRC) he had against Butler, but not the 3 he had against DePaul. He has to be able to contribute on some level to our offense every game now. I have no clue if he's going to be able to do it.

I think Martin can defend the 2 better than Adams. Adams gets beat off the dribble all the time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this is my biggest gripe with the Hurley era so far. It's almost like b/c he never had a shot at landing NBA-potential bigs with URI that he's now overdosing on them now with us at the expense of having a more balanced squad.

Let's hope he learns from this, but five guards -- three of them being guys who can play the point -- are a necessity. We should know this by now.
Well technically we did have 5 guards/SF but now 2 are injured.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom