Adams a Top Tier PG | The Boneyard

Adams a Top Tier PG

Reaction Score
I have been seeing things on here about Adams not being a good PG or top tier or what have you. I could not disagree more! He struggles with things that have nothing to do with ability (leadership at times, calming influence) but his point guard skills are OFF THE CHARTS. The guy plays the pick and roll as good as anyone, can make passes, hangs and finishes tough shots at the rim play after play, can take over games for multiple possessions at a time, gets to the line, makes FT, and has gotten much better at shooting 3s. All this while playing 40 minutes a game missing games for concussions, ankle sprains, etc and not really having much help. He is a top of the line college PG!

Reaction Score
He was quite one this year, but he's not far off.

If he has even a normal sophomore-to-junior jump, he's going to be one of the best point guards in the country. But I think he might be better than that.

Reaction Score
You give me everybody healthy + Cam Johnson from Pitt and I really think we might have something next year. Probably would need another decent guard for depth

Reaction Score
Needs to improve his consistency but he had a better sophomore year than Kemba and certainly than Bazz. I fully expect him to be a monster next year.

Reaction Score
He's a very good guard. He's got the potential to be special. If he was one of the top PGs in the country he'd be testing the draft waters.

Gilbert will be PG next year anyway. Adams will play off the ball.

Reaction Score
He's a very good guard. He's got the potential to be special. If he was one of the top PGs in the country he'd be testing the draft waters.

No he wouldnt. Its the same reason why juwan evans is probably coming back. This yrs draft is probably the deepesr pg draft ever

Reaction Score
No he wouldnt. Its the same reason why juwan evans is probably coming back. This yrs draft is probably the deepesr pg draft ever

Can't have it both ways.

Either he's one of the best PGs in the country, with the rest of the top PGs who are in the draft, because they're the best PGs.

OR

He's somewhere below the best PGs in the country. And needs to work on his game. That's not negative criticism. He's gonna be a special player, he's just not there yet.

Lonzo Ball, Fox, Smith Jr., Fultz, they all have eligibility left and don't have to worry about the depth of the draft. Those are the best PGs in the country. Adams is really good, but he isn't in their class.

Reaction Score
Can't have it both ways.

Either he's one of the best PGs in the country, with the rest of the top PGs who are in the draft, because they're the best PGs.

OR

He's somewhere below the best PGs in the country. And needs to work on his game. That's not negative criticism. He's gonna be a special player, he's just not there yet.

Lonzo Ball, Fox, Smith Jr., Fultz, they all have eligibility left and don't have to worry about the depth of the draft. Those are the best PGs in the country. Adams is really good, but he isn't in their class.
1.He said next yr. 2. If your a top 10-15 guard out of well over 500 in div 1, then your one of the best guards in the country. Jalen Adams can play with anybody in college this yr or next. Id bet money on it

Reaction Score
1.He said next yr. 2. If your a top 10-15 guard out of well over 500 in div 1, then your one of the best guards in the country. Jalen Adams can play with anybody in college this yr or next. Id bet money on it

1) I was responding to the OP, he didn't say anything about next year.
2) I was responding to the OP. he said "PG", not "guard".

When I consider the "top" I think top 5-10. Adams is not one of the top 5-10 PGs in the country.

If his game improves as much this offseason as it did last offseason, I expect him to be one of the top 10-15 guards in the country. But he won't be doing it playing as much PG as he does the 2, because Gilbert will be our main point guard.

Reaction Score

When I consider the "top" I think top 5-10. Adams is not one of the top 5-10 PGs in the country.

If his game improves as much this offseason as it did last offseason, I expect him to be one of the top 10-15 guards in the country. But he won't be doing it playing as much PG as he does the 2, because Gilbert will be our main point guard.
He said "He is a top of the line college pg". You just injected your own definition of what that is. You couldnt go around the country this yr and name 15 better pg's that we better than Jalen Adams. You just cant. If we assume that there are at least 500 guards in college basketball, and you put jalen in the top 15-20 thatd put him in the top .03 percent of college guards. How is that not top of the line??

Reaction Score

And i assumed he was talkimg next yr because next yr is what we are discussing right?

Reaction Score
When I think "top of the line" I don' think "near the top". I think "top." "of." "the." "line."

You missed the context of the OP. Read the "Ollie wants to win soon" thread.

500 guards? Really?

, why stop there? Jalen Adams is easily one of the top basketball players in the country. There have to be 5 million points guards in america, he's easily top 500. That would put him in the top .0001% of guards in the country. Top of the line!

Reaction Score
When I think "top of the line" I don' think "near the top". I think "top." "of." "the." "line."

You missed the context of the OP. Read the "Ollie wants to win soon" thread.

500 guards? Really?

, why stop there? Jalen Adams is easily one of the top basketball players in the country. There have to be 5 million points guards in america, he's easily top 500. That would put him in the top .0001% of guards in the country. Top of the line!
What are you talking about? We are talking about college basketball. You gabe your own definition of top of the line. I responded with numbers. If we are comparing jalen adams to other college players yes he is top of the line. If we are comparing him to NBA players he is not. If were comparing him to highschool, middle school, and gradeschool pgs then yes he is. I dont understand your point. Your taking things out of context to support your non factual opinion. Which is ok. But lets not be ignorant. You totally understood my point, and had no response, so you reverted to moving thd goal post. Classic strategy

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? We are talking about college basketball. You gabe your own definition of top of the line. I responded with numbers. If we are comparing jalen adams to other college players yes he is top of the line. If we are comparing him to NBA players he is not. If were comparing him to highschool, middle school, and gradeschool pgs then yes he is. I dont understand your point. Your taking things out of context to support your non factual opinion. Which is ok. But lets not be ignorant. You totally understood my point, and had no response, so you reverted to moving thd goal post. Classic strategy

1) You never understood the context from the beginning of this discussion because you missed the thread that the OP referred to. Read here: Ollie wants to win soon

2) You incorrectly assumed I was responding to @Matrim55 and got that wrong.

3) I didn't move the goalpost. You apparently don't understand the use of hyperbole and sarcasm. I don't bother comparing UConn players to the bottom 200 programs because they aren't relevant to just about any discussion that involves UConn talent.

4) You're the one who moved the goalposts because you didn't understand the context. The OP, and the other thread, referred to him as one of the top PGs in college this year.

5) He isn't even the first option at PG on his team. That's a fact that you repeatedly ignore. Classic strategy.

Reaction Score
1) You never understood the context from the beginning of this discussion because you missed the thread that the OP referred to. Read here: Ollie wants to win soon

2) You incorrectly assumed I was responding to @Matrim55 and got that wrong.

3) I didn't move the goalpost. You apparently don't understand the use of hyperbole and sarcasm. I don't bother comparing UConn players to the bottom 200 programs because they aren't relevant to just about any discussion that involves UConn talent.

4) You're the one who moved the goalposts because you didn't understand the context. The OP, and the other thread, referred to him as one of the top PGs in college this year.

5) He isn't even the first option at PG on his team. That's a fact that you repeatedly ignore. Classic strategy.
I completely understand the context i read the entire ollie wants to win blah blah blah thread. I didnt think you were responding to matrim55 wtf lol. Your just wrong....its ok

Reaction Score
Adams has a long way to go, and I am not saying he won't get there. Right now he is on the NBA watch list, not a player that would be drafted. He certainly has a lot of talent, and this will be a big year for him. What is most disappointing, in the 5 biggest conference games (3 vs Cinn, 2 vs SMU), he shot 14-49 28.6%, and from 3pt range 1-13 7.7%. He definitely has to show he can get it done in the biggest games. That being said, he scored 34 vs Okla St., but the caveat in that game he had 10 turnovers. He certainly has displayed a strong skill set, and if he can tighten up his game over the summer, get stronger, and become a knockdown shooter, his stock will rise quickly. I expect that he will likely step up his game considerably, how much? We have to wait and see.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

The OP didn't say anything about next year. And you made an argument for why he's not in this year's draft. Then, you moved the goalposts to next year's draft.

1.He said next yr.

No the OP didn't. @Matrim55 brought up next year's draft. Then you decided to talk about next year because you know I'm right. If he was one of the best/elite/top of the line PGs in the country this year, he'd be in the draft. But he's not, because he wasn't.

I completely understand the context i read the entire ollie wants to win blah blah blah thread. I didnt think you were responding to matrim55 wtf lol. Your just wrong....its ok

Yeah, okay.

If you want to argue that your definition of "top of the line" is better than mine, have fun with that pointless exercise. Adams wasn't one of the best PGs this year. He's not even the best PG at UConn. How do I know that? He's not playing PG at UConn next year, because Gilbert is.

The rest of the discussion is nothing but noise.

Reaction Score
The OP didn't say anything about next year. And you made an argument for why he's not in this year's draft. Then, you moved the goalposts to next year's draft.

No the OP didn't. @Matrim55 brought up next year's draft. Then you decided to talk about next year because you know I'm right. If he was one of the best/elite/top of the line PGs in the country this year, he'd be in the draft. But he's not, because he wasn't.

Yeah, okay.

If you want to argue that your definition of "top of the line" is better than mine, have fun with that pointless exercise. Adams wasn't one of the best PGs this year. He's not even the best PG at UConn. How do I know that? He's not playing PG at UConn next year, because Gilbert is.

The rest of the discussion is nothing but noise.
LOL

Reaction Score
As a group, we tend to think our players are better than they are perceived elsewhere. Right now, not talking about where he is at the end of next season, but right now, in the NBA Mock draft at NBA draft, he is undrafted in 2018, through 2 rounds. There are a total of 30 guards in the 2 rounds, some PG's, some SG's, some combo guards. He has to pass a lot of players to get into the mix, so he has a lot of work to do this summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom