Adamec: Play for Kay Game an emotional one for Napheesa | The Boneyard

Adamec: Play for Kay Game an emotional one for Napheesa

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl's story talks about how meaningful the Play for Kay game is for Napheesa who lost her aunt to breast cancer in 2014. What made this past weekend really special is that her uncle was able to attend both Saturday's and last night's games. He saw two terrific performances.

Collier in charge as UConn women storm past South Carolina

UConn’s pink-trimmed uniforms were gone and are up for auction, with Collier’s leading the bidding as of this morning at $860. But feelings still flowed for Collier as her uncle, Greg Geritz, took in his second consecutive game. Geritz’s wife, Deborah, the sister of Collier’s mother Sarah, lost her decade-long battle with breast cancer on Sept. 12, 2014.

“It meant a lot to have him here,” Collier said. “He’s always been supportive with everything, ever since I was little. To have him here was amazing and I was so happy that he was.”

Deborah Geritz was one of Collier’s biggest fans. She taught third graders for 24 of her 30 years in education. She was 53 when she passed away.

The emotions that Collier seldom shows on the court come through as she remembered Geritz.

“My aunt fought breast cancer for years,” Collier said. “She fought so hard for so long. She was one of the strongest people I’ve known. She fought it as hard as she could. It was really hard for my family and for my mother.

“So every year when we play these games, it’s a reminder of her for all of us.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom