Adamec On Renee M and Atlanta | The Boneyard

Adamec On Renee M and Atlanta

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Anything could have happened," Montgomery said. "But Coach Nicki came in very aggressively with how much she wanted me and where she saw me with the team. And she's backed it up 100 percent. Sometimes a coach will try to sell you a dream and she didn't. I liked her concept, what she wanted from me, what she thought that I could be. I'm the captain here. It all worked out better than I could have planned."

Montgomery brings winning edge to Atlanta

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Renee. She's the starting PG on a very good team destined for the playoffs. Honestly I don't think she gets enough credit. She was a backup PG for so long that I don't think anyone really sees her as "elite", but they should. So happy for her - she seems to have found the right place and the right coach.

Side note - I'm hoping for the same thing for Kiah Stokes. She seems to have regressed since Lambier left and Smith took over. Right now it seems she's in the wrong situation.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good for Renee. She's the starting PG on a very good team destined for the playoffs. Honestly I don't think she gets enough credit. She was a backup PG for so long that I don't think anyone really sees here as "elite", but they should. So happy for her - she seems to have found the right place and the right coach.

Side note - I'm hoping for the same thing for Kiah Stokes. She seems to have regressed since Lambeer left and Smith took over. Right now it seems she's in the wrong situation.

I think a a change of scenery and a visit to see the Wizard would do Stokes a world of good. I remain a HUGE Kiah Stokes fan, but right now, she's not getting it done, causing her minutes to decline this season. She was making slow but steady progress under Laimbeer, but has regressed under Kate Smith. When she returns from overseas next year, it's imperative that she bring back those double doubles with her that she regularly puts up there.

Reading that article, and watching Montgomery grow and mature through the years since her arrival on campus in 2006, and being named the Big East Conference Freshman of the Year, brings two thoughts to mind.

1. Renee is a leader (we all know that). She's a student of the game. She learned at the feet of the master.
2. She would make an excellent coach someday. She has a knowledge and passion for the game that she can share and teach to those coming behind her. She believes her winning ways from UConn and from the Lynx came with her to Atlanta. "That's one thing I can bring," Montgomery said. "I've seen what it takes on a day-to-day basis. You can't buy that experience unless you were there". (Amen)

"When you're younger you have so many goals and a lot of them are individual. Now I want to be sure that we make the playoffs. I want to get one of those bye spots. So just my approach to the game, controlling the team, is different. "My goals are team oriented. I couldn't care less if I score two points. My thing is, let's make sure we got this right. I want to win." Sounds like good "coach speak" to me.

She's go about 5-7 more years left before she hangs up her game shoes for the last time. It would not surprise me one bit to see her on a sideline as an assistant coach soon after her playing days are over. With her experience, love for the game and contacts, it won't be hard for her to secure a spot on somebody's staff as an assistant. I'm talking college or WNBA. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That is super awesome - congrats to Tiff... but... I was talking about Renee Montgomery... ;)

In the immortal words of Roberto de Vincezo - What a stupid I am!

My brain saw UConn and Atlanta and immediately went to Tiffany Hayes. You know, despite Renee M being in the thread title :oops:

I guess I'm part of the problem. Sorry Renee!

Good job to both on Atlanta's recent (snapped last night) 8-game winning streak!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the immortal words of Roberto de Vincezo - What a stupid I am!

My brain saw UConn and Atlanta and immediately went to Tiffany Hayes. You know, despite Renee M being in the thread title :oops:

I guess I'm part of the problem. Sorry Renee!

Good job to both on Atlanta's recent (snapped last night) 8-game winning streak!
I thought either that was the explanation, or maybe your point was that with Tiff and Angel playing so well, and Atlanta in the top 4 in the league, that their star PG would eventually get some props. That COULD have been your reason also! LOL...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In her UConn gear. :D:D

heavy-check-mark_2714.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members