Adamec: Kia Nurse..."a brave new world in Storrs" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Kia Nurse..."a brave new world in Storrs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have seen enough of Kia Nurse....
that I would Not play her as a primary PG !

for me... I would ride Crystal Dangerfield's development.

If Geno where to lean in that direction, and start her game #1, if Crystal Dangerfield is the baller we think she is, it would not take her long to adjust. My guess would be no later than mid Feb. Probably sooner.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
[ ] Talk about an obvious pronouncement. However, if Geno determines she is not ready for prime time and does not want to crush her by shoving her in there, I'm sure you will agree that that is a good coaching call.

NO smarty... Nothing about this year's UConn PG dynamic is obvious on Oct 22nd / 23rd . Hence the discussion ... and my subsequent "pronouncement" / Opinion

once in a while for college programs....even at a one with the tradition of UConn, a coach has to ride it out with a Freshman from beginning to end...and hang in there through ALL the growing pains of first 2-3 months...for the prospect / promise of what the player & team can be by March

ie. Stefanie Dolson during her freshman year ( after Tina Charles graduated )

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If Geno where to lean in that direction, and start her game #1, if Crystal Dangerfield is the baller we think she is, it would not take her long to adjust. My guess would be no later than mid Feb. Probably sooner.

Definitely sooner. Much sooner. Like next month she'll get the keys to the car.:).

Geno coaches with March in mind. The more experience Crystal Dangerfield acquires between now and then, the better prepared she (and her team) will be for the Big Dance.

Last edited:

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score

An aspect that I believe will work in favor of Crystal...compared to some other highly rated Freshman PG's that have entered college in past... is that she already seems to grasp complementing her physical gifts with playing with appropriate & consistent "pace"

She also has always appeared to have great confidence in her shooting stroke. which should be a consistent piece to her overall esteem / confidence.. as well as her Head Coach

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Definitely sooner. Much sooner. Like next month she'll get the keys to the car.:).

Geno coaches with March in mind. The more experience Crystal Dangerfield acquires between now and then, the better prepared she (and her team) will be for the Big Dance.

My thoughts exactly!!!! The more she plays, the more she'll play. I think Crystal Dangerfield brings a skill set that Geno will have trouble keeping on the bench. And make no mistake about it, Crystal wants to play, and play now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
An aspect that I believe will work in favor of Crystal...compared to some other highly rated Freshman PG's that have entered college in past... is that she already seems to grasp complementing her physical gifts with playing with appropriate & consistent "pace"

She also has always appeared to have great confidence in her shooting stroke. which should be a consistent piece to her overall esteem / confidence.. as well as her Head Coach
I think the better comparison is to Rene who started from day one too. Same position and same issue for the team interns of need, and the same kind of pedigree.
Geno has certainly not shied from starting freshman when the team needs and the player were in conjunction - Maria in 2003 was actually the second choice as point guard after Nicole Wolff (freshman) got injured.

Reaction Score
. . . and a Badass!
Didn't TOUGH say Badass? Anyway, I hope we don't see some of her "wild and out of control" that she's shown from time to time. Her hardnosed defense is what I feel is her most significant quality and role for the Huskies. She's an important supporting role person in other areas but stellar defense is where she typically shines.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Growing pains!! Think of this---for the past 2 years for Kia, Butler, Gabby and the past 1 (in college) and 2 in uSA and college for Collier, Crystal, Lou--
except for the FROSH--this is a team that knows each other well--they've played with and against each other in practice a long time. Chemistry may need adjustment but they know how each other moves. This isn't all new to them...The 3 Queens are gone--long live the (new) Queens.
IF, Lou becomes more aggressive, there will be no stopping her(inside or outside). She has the potential to be another Stewie.

Reaction Score
IF, Lou becomes more aggressive, there will be no stopping her(inside or outside). She has the potential to be another Stewie.

Katie LOU may never be another Stewie--but from what we saw at the end of last season--she has so many scoring methods --she'll be tough to stop. We also saw her rebound and bang with the best bigs--she has a to die for top of the key jumper--and my favorite--her dribble drive to attack the basket. She has guard skills, a posts body and talent, and a shooting guards jumper or 3--
Come on--she will not duplicate Stewie---but by the 5th game of the season you'll be hearing
L O U---LOU --LOU lou --Greatness is in her genes and in her jeans and BB uniform.

Monte--I could not agree with your MORE...

Reaction Score
Katie LOU may never be another Stewie--but from what we saw at the end of last season--she has so many scoring methods --she'll be tough to stop. We also saw her rebound and bang with the best bigs--she has a to die for top of the key jumper--and my favorite--her dribble drive to attack the basket. She has guard skills, a posts body and talent, and a shooting guards jumper or 3--
Come on--she will not duplicate Stewie---but by the 5th game of the season you'll be hearing
L O U---LOU --LOU lou --Greatness is in her genes and in her jeans and BB uniform.

Monte--I could not agree with your MORE...
She was special in the latter half of her freshman year and her injury was a total shame, though our Big Three managed to close up the championship despite her loss. Can't wait to see what she'll be doing this year from Day 1

Reaction Score
She was special in the latter half of her freshman year and her injury was a total shame, though our Big Three managed to close up the championship despite her loss. Can't wait to see what she'll be doing this year from Day 1

You are speaking to the Choir master on that one. My expectations for her (and the Team) are out of this world---I'm thinking final 4 isn't out of the question, the talent is there--if Crystal develops as expected--all things are possible.

Reaction Score
I think the better comparison is to Rene who started from day one too. Same position and same issue for the team interns of need, and the same kind of pedigree.
Geno has certainly not shied from starting freshman when the team needs and the player were in conjunction - Maria in 2003 was actually the second choice as point guard after Nicole Wolff (freshman) got injured.

You just wrote the right words on three of my favorite ladies--Rene was amazing--i loved her off the side of the glass shot as she whizzed by--her three shot got to be amazing too. i forgot she started as a Frosh.
i'm so introspective I think i'm the only one who appreciated Maria--she was much more special than some think.
I'm so high on Crystal, after watching her in the Usa games--i'd sell the boat, the car, the house to bet on her (if i had any of those things)
Geno likes Crystal, if Chong or Bent can't relieve Kia at point--he'll have to push Crystal faster than he would like to--it didn't hurt Rene one bit, did it//??
Ms Wolff had loads of potential and played well until she couldn't. Her dad was a coach at BC or Bu--i think it was BC. Bob C's school.

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly!!!! The more she plays, the more she'll play. I think Crystal Dangerfield brings a skill set that Geno will have trouble keeping on the bench. And make no mistake about it, Crystal wants to play, and play now.

If you are a BB player---and you make a team--any team--YOU WAnT to play NOW. It is tough for kids like Crystal (which i doubt will happen to her), or Bent, or Kyla, Chong, etc to sit and watch--
you see some things on the bench the players miss--and you know you could have fixed it.
I see you are a Crystal Dangerfield (She'll get the respect Rodney never got) supporter. I'm happy to see many are now knowing her tremendous possibilities--no Moriah--she a superb Crystal..

Reaction Score
I loved Maria, nothing seemed to bother her, always calm. And as Geno said "she is short but slow".
I always hated that quote---sometimes Geno's funnys are just insulting.
Yes but he said the year after she graduated: I never thought i'd miss Maria Conlon--- me too I missed her.
She wasn't an import --she was Connecticuts own--...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I always hated that quote---sometimes Geno's funnys are just insulting.
Yes but he said the year after she graduated: I never thought i'd miss Maria Conlon--- me too I missed her.
She wasn't an import --she was Connecticuts own--...

My earliest recollection of this version of sarcastic "praise" was by then-Coach Norm Van Brocklin (Atlanta Falcons) when he described his linemen in a presser, thus: "They're not big, but they're slow." Media jumped on it gleefully (that's why I recall it), saying how clever Van Brocklin was. (Actually, they were grateful that he had enlivened an otherwise dreary presser.)

Many others have appropriated this comment. And oh yeah, the careers of both Coach Van Brocklin and his linemen were brief.;)

Fast forward to Geno and Maria. Geno loved her so much that at one NC net cutting, he insisted that she have the distinct honor of cutting the last shreds of twine -- then he lavished heartfelt praise on her. His (unoriginal) "short and slow" comment was loving, not biting:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom