Adamec: Kia Nurse..."a brave new world in Storrs" | The Boneyard

Adamec: Kia Nurse..."a brave new world in Storrs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno says this. does this mean that he didn't think she was properly positioned by the Canadian team; or that he is answering those who think she will start the UConn season at point (working Crystal in gradually); or that she will have a bit of point responsibility (sort of sharing point, say, with Lou) as Crystal works her way in? Seems to me that he's not wanting her to play the formal position of point but maybe share some of it ("give her more responsibility") as Crystal gets her chops. Adamec did the interview and therefore had the best subjective understanding of the discussion, and look at the title of his article, that Kia's a good starting point. So he must have intended that as a double entendre--that Kia is both a foundation for the rebuilding and that she would have at least some point guard responsibility.

"She is not a natural point guard. That is not her natural position. Hopefully we can use her the way we did the last couple years and give her more responsibility but at the same time don't take away the things she is really good at by making her too concerned with how the rest of the team is running. That is an extra layer."

Reaction Score
I get the feeling (just my honest opinion) that the girls are really looking forward to seeing what they can do without the Big 3. There are going to be some growing pains (read: losses), but like many posters on here, I think come April, watch out.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling (just my honest opinion) that the girls are really looking forward to seeing what they can do without the Big 3. There are going to be some growing pains (read: losses), but like many posters on here, I think come April, watch out.

Growing pains!! Think of this---for the past 2 years for Kia, Butler, Gabby and the past 1 (in college) and 2 in uSA and college for Collier, Crystal, Lou--
except for the FROSH--this is a team that knows each other well--they've played with and against each other in practice a long time. Chemistry may need adjustment but they know how each other moves. This isn't all new to them...The 3 Queens are gone--long live the (new) Queens.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As Bags 27 said: "She has experience on both sides, the good and the bad. Hopefully she will grow into that role. She is not a natural point guard. That is not her natural position. Hopefully we can use her the way we did the last couple years and give her more responsibility but at the same time don't take away the things she is really good at by making her too concerned with how the rest of the team is running. That is an extra layer."

Classic Geno having fun tantalizing us or he doesn't know yet where she'll start the season. I suspect he's still up in the air himself. What it does suggest to me is that he doesn't see Saniya starting the season at point if he can help it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's hard not to like this young woman. Classy, verbal, athletic, tough, smart....

She just must lose the desire to hit people as a way to get to the rim. Rugby it's not! But, yes, she's the total package and her comical, free spirit is a key team ingredient.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
If you look at the games from last season, Kia and Mo would switch. Kia has experience running point, is it her natural position...no, but until Crystal is comfortable enough to run point, then Kia can run point. Crystal and Molly can play both point and shooting, they are not just a point or shooting guard.
I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride, because it is going to be an amazing ride :).

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
She just must lose the desire to hit people as a way to get to the rim. Rugby it's not! But, yes, she's the total package and her comical, free spirit is a key team ingredient.

No objection here. But, shouldn't we suspect that our coaches have addressed this with her? I'd bet my Ipad that they have, and that positive results will be forthcoming.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have seen enough of Kia Nurse....
that I would Not play her as a primary PG !

for me... I would ride Crystal Dangerfield's development.

[ ] Talk about an obvious pronouncement. However, if Geno determines she is not ready for prime time and does not want to crush her by shoving her in there, I'm sure you will agree that that is a good coaching call.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not that this is something that Geno will consider, but think about Team USA a couple of years ago. Highly rated Asia Durr was unable to run the plays that the coach wanted. So who played PG instead?? Lou!!

Just as with Stewie, I think that Lou is better off the ball, but both could play PG, in my opinion.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No objection here. But, shouldn't we suspect that our coaches have addressed this with her? I'd bet my Ipad that they have, and that positive results will be forthcoming.

She's been doing it for 2 years BigB ... She's been hearing it for a while now. Some times what makes athletes great also has an element that gets in their way. Kia gets pumped and gets a little wild from time to time. It's no big thing. I love our Nurse. Feeling more responsible this year may change it a little, but Kia is Kia and I would not change her, except for her peripheral vision before she goes hog wild for a drive to the hoop that everyone sees coming.

"Her intensity level and her unbelievable desire to win reminds me of Maya." Geno, half time interview (taped) in last year's Ohio State game. :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Like you I am fairly sure the coaching staff has addressed it. However, I'm not sure that positive results are forthcoming, because it has been two years already.

Reaction Score
I'm not a coach and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but....

Kia needs visualization and relaxing techniques. Precisely what Rocky says: when she drives, she likes the contact (isn't her brother in the NHL?). That's okay, so long as she don't tense her body in anticipation, because it will throw off her shot. The essential focus needs to be in feathering the ball to the rim, not in delivering pain to her opponent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
[ ] Talk about an obvious pronouncement. However, if Geno determines she is not ready for prime time and does not want to crush her by shoving her in there, I'm sure you will agree that that is a good coaching call.

Most of us agree/understand that IF she's not ready, Geno won't play her until she is. Geno is not going to play anyone until he thinks they're ready. That being said, it would not surprise me to see her in the starting line-up in that first exhibition game. I'm not saying she will or should be, just that I would not be surprised if she is.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not a coach and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but....

Kia needs visualization and relaxing techniques. Precisely what Rocky says: when she drives, she likes the contact (isn't her brother in the NHL?). That's okay, so long as she don't tense her body in anticipation, because it will throw off her shot. The essential focus needs to be in feathering the ball to the rim, not in delivering pain to her opponent.
She's a bit of a bull in a china shop, like that other hockey player, Lindsay Whalen, though LW is better at scoring after contact.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have seen enough of Kia Nurse....
that I would Not play her as a primary PG !

for me... I would ride Crystal Dangerfield's development.
2 guard mentality, 2 guard for certain. But until Geno feels Ms. Danger is ready, PG for now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most of us agree/understand that IF she's not ready, Geno won't play her until she is. Geno is not going to play anyone until he thinks they're ready. That being said, it would not surprise me to see her in the starting line-up in that first exhibition game. I'm not saying she will or should be, just that I would not be surprised if she is.

I agree 100% and frankly hopes she plays the PG with glorious results in exhibition 1 and 2 and is the starter from day 1 of regular season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As her own father said, "Kia is a nasty piece of business." I believe that's Canadian for "badass."

Never let it be said that Carnac NEVER plagiarized a phrase from anyone. I like that phrase. You will see it again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom