Adamec: Geno on the AAC...Andra advances | The Boneyard

Adamec: Geno on the AAC...Andra advances

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Geno's conference call: AAC competition improving

Carl's lengthy article hits a variety of topics. Keep on keeping on: Andra
had 31...19 in the second half...as Ossining advanced to the regional finals on
Saturday with a 60-44 win. A win there puts them in the NYS semifinals next weekend. NYC schools are not eligible for this crown....presumably due to their superior quality at the top level.

Should Ossining win the NYS crown they would advance to the NYS Federation semis the next weekend when the NYC Public champ and the NYC Parochial champ arrive in Albany.

I don't know how often the state champ wins the federation title as well.
I think Stewie's Cicero North team did it twice. Hmmm...wonder if a UConn coach or two might drop by Ossining's game on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Coach Geno is absolutely right. Until recently, the Pac-12 was a joke of a conference for WCBB. The Big 10 has never been strong. Notre Dame hadn't lost a game in the ACC for, what, three years?

And it has been AAC teams that have given UConn some of its toughest games the past two years. Weren't the two closest games, or two of the closest games, last year at the hands of USF? Tulane gave us the second closest score this year (3 point win), while Temple scored more points in a half than any team in years. I think there were seven teams in the AAC with winning records this year out of the 11-team conference.

He's also right to point out that although UConn has clobbered AAC competition mostly, it's also done the same to everyone else. A 30-point win in the national championship game last year, and that without starter KLS.

So he's right that no conference is really "great", certainly after the demise of the Big East.

And he could also point out that he plays the toughest teams in the nation before going into conference play, resulting in the best record against the most RPI top-50 teams of any team this season.

So interesting remarks in an important article.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Geno is absolutely right. Until recently, the Pac-12 was a joke of a conference for WCBB. The Big 10 has never been strong. Notre Dame hadn't lost a game in the ACC for, what, three years? And it has been AAC teams that have given UConn some of its toughest games the past two years. Weren't the two closest games, or two of the closest games, last year at the hands of USF? Tulane gave us the second closest score this year (3 point win), while Temple scored more points in a half than any team in years. I think there were seven teams in the AAC with winning records this year out of the 11-team conference. He's also right to point out that although UConn has clobbered AAC competition mostly, it's also done the same to everyone else. A 30-point win in the national championship game last year, and that without starter KLS. So he's right that no conference is really "great", certainly after the demise of the Big East. And he could also point out that he plays the toughest teams in the nation before going into conference play, resulting in the best record against the most RPI top-50 teams of any team this season. So interesting remarks in an important article.

You must have misunderstood, mis-heard or misinterpreted what Geno said because among your many error are these:
-Stanford ( A Pac-12) with 11 FF appearances and 2 titles would rank as the 3 most successful WCBB of all time. USC (another Pac-12 school) ranks tied for 3rd with 2 titles. Pac-12 as a conference ranks 3rd in WCBB championships.
NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia

-UCONN toughest games of the season have always been out of conference games.
-Last year UCONN played USF three times with increasing MOV each time +16, +20, +26.
-Last year UCONN closest games were ND, MD, and SC +10, +10 +12 so UCONN has definitely not clobbered "everyone" else like they did AAC teams where average MOV is routinely +35-50 points.
-The 2nd Tulane game this year was a major anomaly: UCONN beat Tulane earlier in the year by 44 points which was above the UCONN's MOV for AAC games. Tulane had a 3 Pt shot attempt to tie the game at the buzzer; during the first game of the season FSU had a 3 Pt shot attempt that would have won the game.
-Since you mention UCONN's +30 MOV in the national championship ,since the beginning of the AAC only three AAC teams have been with that MOV against UCONN (Temple (1) , UCF (3) Louisville (1) , Tulane(1) ).
UCONN WCBB is going to be great no matter what conference they are in. A great team does not make for a great conference and UCONN from a competition stand point would be better off in any of the P5 or even what is left of the big east. I think what Geno was trying to say is that things can get better for the AAC. What I'm saying I don't see it getting better and it could just as easily be getting worse- look at USF this year and FF to next year!

Reaction Score
You must have misunderstood, mis-heard or misinterpreted what Geno said because among your many error are these:
-Stanford ( A Pac-12) with 11 FF appearances and 2 titles would rank as the 3 most successful WCBB of all time. USC (another Pac-12 school) ranks tied for 3rd with 2 titles. Pac-12 as a conference ranks 3rd in WCBB championships.

-Last year UCONN played USF three times with increasing MOV each time +16, +20, +26.
-Last year UCONN closest games were ND, MD, and SC +10, +10 +12 so UCONN has definitely not clobbered "everyone" else like they did AAC teams where average MOV is routinely +35-50 points.
-The 2nd Tulane game this year was a major anomaly: UCONN beat Tulane earlier in the year by 44 points which was above the UCONN's MOV for AAC games. Tulane had a 3 Pt shot attempt to tie the game at the buzzer; during the first game of the season FSU had a 3 Pt shot attempt that would have won the game.
-Since you mention UCONN's +30 MOV in the national championship ,since the beginning of the AAC only three AAC teams have been with that MOV against UCONN (Temple (1) , UCF (3) Louisville (1) , Tulane(1) ).
UCONN WCBB is going to be great no matter what conference they are in. A great team does not make for a great conference and UCONN from a competition stand point would be better off in any of the P5 or even what is left of the big east. I think what Geno was trying to say is that things can get better for the AAC. What I'm saying I don't see it getting better and it could just as easily be getting worse- look at USF this year and FF to next year!

Actually, I did understand what he said, and what was written. I wasn't talking about Stanford, but about the Pac-12. Certainly, Stanford has done exceedingly well in NCAA's, as has UConn. His point, and mind, was that these good teams came out of weak conferences.

Those games you cited- ND, MD, and SC- were among the best teams in the country, and UConn still beat them by double-digits. And they beat Syracuse by 30 without a starter.

And USF did play UConn though, despite losing.

Not sure what your point is.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the overview the Big East's evolution from a weak one- or two-bid league to the eight-bid juggernaut of the 2000s.

The Big East was in its fourth season when Geno Auriemma became the coach of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team in 1985.

The following March, the league sent two teams to the NCAA tournament for the first time. ...

When UConn won its first Big East tournament title and made its first NCAA tournament appearance in 1989, the league sent three teams to the Big Dance for the first time. When the Huskies won their first national championship in 1995, two Big East teams -- UConn and Seton Hall -- reached the NCAA tournament. The next two years, even with the addition of Notre Dame, Rutgers, and West Virginia, it was the only the Huskies and Irish in the field of 64. By 2004, the Big East put eight teams in.​

Reaction Score

Saturday with a 60-44 win. A win there puts them in the NYS semifinals next weekend. NYC schools are not eligible for this crown....presumably due to their superior quality at the top level.

Should Ossining win the NYS crown they would advance to the NYS Federation semis the next weekend when the NYC Public champ and the NYC Parochial champ arrive in Albany.

I think Stewie's Cicero North team did it twice. Hmmm...wonder if a UConn coach or two might drop by Ossining's game on Saturday.
Ossining is playing one of our local teams. Their superstar player is the sister of one of my son's teammates (she goes to the public school but her brother is at the same catholic school as my son). This will be an easy win for Ossining. The teams here are poorly coached and the players have grossly overinflated views of themselves. This isn't the first time Ossining will spank a section 4 local team in the state tournament. I may go to watch the slaughter and see the look of shock on the faces of the parents around here that think their kids are superstars.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Paesano: would love to read your thoughts on Andra after the game....strengths/areas needing work etc.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Stanford or USC won a title? For Stanford 1990 and 1992. For USC 1983 and 1984. Stanford has remained successful; USC has not remained successful. Neither has won a title in at least 25 years.

Reaction Score

When I hear you throwing out Southern Cal, it suggested that they've been relevant and the truth is that they had great success over a very, very short span when they had Cheryl Miller playing for them. Other than that, the only team to have any sustained success in Pac 10 history, has been Stanford with Tara leading the way.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Stanford or USC won a title? For Stanford 1990 and 1992. For USC 1983 and 1984. Stanford has remained successful; USC has not remained successful. Neither has won a title in at least 25 years.
The only real success USC had was with Cheryl Miller who is one of the great women's player in the history of women's basketball. Other than that, zilch!

Reaction Score

Blake, Binghamton is a long lonely ride from Storrs.... and oh did I mention that the greater Binghamton area is not exactly a garden spot but a northern outpost of Appalachia.
As for your speculation as to why NYC schools are not in this tournament is because they play in the PSAL and have their own city tournament. Also remember the average AA city school has 4 to 5,000 studentsand NYC population is greater than the rest of NYS.
The NYC schools along with the Private Schools champ and the Catholic School champ (not counting the Catholic schools that manage to taint the NYSPSAA leagues) will play against the NYSPHSAA champs the following weekend in Albany in the NYS Federation Tournament of Champions.
Occasionally the Federation is won by a NYC or NYSPHSAA school. Stewie's team and last years Ossining team for example.
It is very hard for NYSPHSAA teams to compete against the Catholic, NYC and Private schools due to recruiting and other shady practices. First the NYC schools are no longer "neighborhood" schools as now kids can apply and go to any school in NYC that they want to. This has created some power house sports programs in many boys and girls sports in NYC. Next the Catholics and Privates recruit and steal players from the NYC and NYSPHSAA schools and in the case of the Privates also offer $$ to lure girls away for their "superior educational programs".
For example AEH going to Blair and Long Island Lutheran stealing away several players from upstate this year, think Cicero and North Rockland. When Ossining beat Long Island Lutheran to win the Federation last year LuHi best player was from Denmark. But remember they don't recruit etc.
Pretty hard for the average local school district team to compete on that slanted a table.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom