Adamec: De'Janae Boykin....not 100% yet but looking | The Boneyard

Adamec: De'Janae Boykin....not 100% yet but looking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From KLS:

I have this problem that I’m really super-competitive so I don’t want to lose in anything,” Samuelson said. “But it’s cool to be around a team where everyone is competitive and no one likes to lose. They’re such great games. We beat each other up. I’ve been glad everyone is so competitive.

Don't let her sunny smile fool you. Stone cold assassin. Same could be said about DJB or Collier - as Geno pointed out, it has the potential to be one of our best classes ever. And each kid possesses an uber-competitive streak. Can't wait to see these kids suit up!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow. we finally get an article on De"Janae where we can talk about her, but the conversation immediately turns to KLS.
Part of the problem is that her wrist was fractured and she missed 6 weeks over the remainder of her HS career, and it impacted her play over the summer as she did not make the U19 team. Also, Blake did post a link to an article on both DJB and KLS in the same thread...

Having said that, the quote from Geno below illustrates what several of us say last year when she played on (and started for) the USA U18 team. She's a glue player and will do whatever is needed to win - board, score, defend, set picks, etc. Not flashy, but a high BBIQ and has a nose for the ball. One expert, who watched the class closely, said he thought she has the most potential of the 3. I can't say if that's true or not, but look to Geno and co. to get the most out of her...

She’s completely different than the other two freshmen in that some of the skills she has and some of the things she does are just very subtle,” Auriemma said. “Sometimes Napheesa and Katie Lou are right out there in your face. But if you watch De’Janae closely, you see some of the subtle things she does that make her a really good player and allow her to contribute to winning.”

Reaction Score
She reminds me of Aisha Jones a little bit.She can score,rebound and play defense but also does the plays you don't see in the box score!That is something your teammates and coaches come to appreciate and expect on a daily basis.If she stays healthy a tremendous addition!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not too concerned about DBJ injured wrist a year ago at this time Gabby was 3 months away from being cleared to play. Gabby turned out alright and that was coming off a second knee surgery. Bold prediction: DJB will average 18-20 Mins per game and be part of the regular rotation all the way to the FF.

Reaction Score
Not too concerned about DBJ injured wrist a year ago at this time Gabby was 3 months away from being cleared to play. Gabby turned out alright and that was coming off a second knee surgery. Bold prediction: DJB will average 18-20 Mins per game and be part of the regular rotation all the way to the FF.
Coco - you said it--Bold prediction. Sluconn hit it too with the "minutes talk" is coming again. What I like best about all the info on this thread is Geno, Coco, and some expert that Eric quoted--all said some really good things about Boykin. Putting it out there that Boykin is for real. My favorite from Geno (and one of his nuances of recruiting) is when he said Boykin is "completely different" from the other freshman. His keen insight saw the nuances that most BB people and many coaches wouldn't even be aware of, let alone recognize as valuable. In regards to Boykin getting 18-20 minutes; if that comes true then UConn will be a monster. Of course, lots of posters feel that Butler, Collier, Lou, and Gabby will get first dibs. Even Chong would be ahead of the sub line. Can't wait for the fun to start!!

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that her wrist was fractured and she missed 6 weeks over the remainder of her HS career, and it impacted her play over the summer as she did not make the U19 team. Also, Blake did post a link to an article on both DJB and KLS in the same thread...

Having said that, the quote from Geno below illustrates what several of us say last year when she played on (and started for) the USA U18 team. She's a glue player and will do whatever is needed to win - board, score, defend, set picks, etc. Not flashy, but a high BBIQ and has a nose for the ball. One expert, who watched the class closely, said he thought she has the most potential of the 3. I can't say if that's true or not, but look to Geno and co. to get the most out of her...

She’s completely different than the other two freshmen in that some of the skills she has and some of the things she does are just very subtle,” Auriemma said. “Sometimes Napheesa and Katie Lou are right out there in your face. But if you watch De’Janae closely, you see some of the subtle things she does that make her a really good player and allow her to contribute to winning.”
Eric - Your point about Boykin being a "glue player" struck me. Lou doesn't fit that bill and Collier just maybe a little more than Lou. Could there be a wild and crazy selection of Boykin as the glue with the 4 starters coming back?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric - Your point about Boykin being a "glue player" struck me. Lou doesn't fit that bill and Collier just maybe a little more than Lou. Could there be a wild and crazy selection of Boykin as the glue with the 4 starters coming back?
Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't put $ on that... ;)

There have been numerous threads about it but IMHO, in descending order of likelihood, the 5th starter will be Butler, Williams, Collier, Samuelson...

Reaction Score
Like I said before every player will see enough playing time knowing there role. AAC play will be like last years team with blow out wins

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You go first. I think I know your feeling on the subject but just in case you changed your mind..

I'll put it this way: it's almost a certainty that Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, and Nurse will play about 100-105 minutes per game combined. From there, 7 players need to be squeezed into about 95-100 minutes. I think Williams, Collier, Samuelson, and Butler logically get 15-20 apiece, probably somewhere in the middle of that range. That gets you to 170-175 with three players left. Assuming Chong gets 15, which seems low, that leaves about 10-15 for Ekmark and Boykin under this scenario. And personally, I think Collier and possibly KLS are 20+ minute players already so I'm undercutting them here.

It's a logjam. Better to have too many good players than the other way around, but the staff better have one big shoehorn.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
18-20 mins per game *this year*..? For a freshman who missed a big chunk of her final season ? And who is not the sole player on the team capable of filling a gaping vacancy , a la Stef at the 5 in her freshman year???

Somebody's smoking some strong stuff ....please pass it along ! ! !

:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll put it this way: it's almost a certainty that Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, and Nurse will play about 100-105 minutes per game combined. From there, 7 players need to be squeezed into about 95-100 minutes. I think Williams, Collier, Samuelson, and Butler logically get 15-20 apiece, probably somewhere in the middle of that range. That gets you to 170-175 with three players left. Assuming Chong gets 15, which seems low, that leaves about 10-15 for Ekmark and Boykin under this scenario. And personally, I think Collier and possibly KLS are 20+ minute players already so I'm undercutting them here.

It's a logjam. Better to have too many good players than the other way around, but the staff better have one big shoehorn.

If I use 2012-13 season as a baseline when UCONN had 1 player (KML) average over 30 Minutes per game. 4 Players (Stewie, Dolson, Faris, & Hartley) averaged between 23-30 Minutes. 4 other players (Banks, Tuck, Jefferson, & Doty) averaged between 16-18 minutes, and 1 player (Stokes) average 11 minutes per and Buck brought up the rear at 5 minutes per game. But these are averages minutes per game played in and I am just trying to set a baseline. Banks for example played in only 21 games before getting hurt. I picked this season because this was the last time we had 3 highly touted freshmen added to a very talented UCONN team. Those 3 freshmen averaged 23.7-Stewie, 15.8-Tuck. 17.4- MoJeff. This was also a NC team & nothing less would be acceptable in 2016.

Here are a couple of assumptions 1) The UCONN roster is sizeable enough to not need the walk-ons on the team this season. Even if the walk-ons remain on the team their minutes will not significantly sway the averages. 2) There are no significant individual awards on the line which would require any UCONN player to log big minutes to put up big numbers, with the possible exception of Morgan Tuck trying to secure a place on the wall and AA honors. 3) The foundation for the development of next year’s team will start this year-meaning these players are going to start preparing to be without MoJeff & Stewie and still excel.

I agree with you that one, two, or even 3 players may not be overly happy and overall I rather have more talent than less. So I came up with this distribution of minutes:

Player

Minutes

Stewie

KLS

Tuck

Jefferson

Nurse

Butler

Chong

Collier

Boykin

Williams

Ekmark

Your thoughts?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Your thoughts?

Maybe the starters will have to get their minutes reduced, but I have a hard time seeing it. Geno tends to be deferential to the vets. Think you need to add 12-13 minutes for the returning four.

Reaction Score
[Qdon't ="CocoHusky, post: 1354538, member: 5823"]If I use 2012-13 season as a baseline when UCONN had 1 player (KML) average over 30 Minutes per game. 4 Players (Stewie, Dolson, Faris, & Hartley) averaged between 23-30 Minutes. 4 other players (Banks, Tuck, Jefferson, & Doty) averaged between 16-18 minutes, and 1 player (Stokes) average 11 minutes per and Buck brought up the rear at 5 minutes per game. But these are averages minutes per game played in and I am just trying to set a baseline. Banks for example played in only 21 games before getting hurt. I picked this season because this was the last time we had 3 highly touted freshmen added to a very talented UCONN team. Those 3 freshmen averaged 23.7-Stewie, 15.8-Tuck. 17.4- MoJeff. This was also a NC team & nothing less would be acceptable in 2016.

Here are a couple of assumptions 1) The UCONN roster is sizeable enough to not need the walk-ons on the team this season. Even if the walk-ons remain on the team their minutes will not significantly sway the averages. 2) There are no significant individual awards on the line which would require any UCONN player to log big minutes to put up big numbers, with the possible exception of Morgan Tuck trying to secure a place on the wall and AA honors. 3) The foundation for the development of next year’s team will start this year-meaning these players are going to start preparing to be without MoJeff & Stewie and still excel.

I agree with you that one, two, or even 3 players may not be overly happy and overall I rather have more talent than less. So I came up with this distribution of minutes:

Player

Minutes

Stewie

KLS

Tuck

Jefferson

Nurse

Butler

Chong

Collier

Boykin

Williams

Ekmark

Your thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I dont think all 3 freshmen plays more minutes than Williams it seems he likes the incoming frosh but he loves a sophomore Gabby. He feels she can be the next great UConn player

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From KLS:

I have this problem that I’m really super-competitive so I don’t want to lose in anything,” Samuelson said. “But it’s cool to be around a team where everyone is competitive and no one likes to lose. They’re such great games. We beat each other up. I’ve been glad everyone is so competitive.

Don't let her sunny smile fool you. Stone cold assassin. Same could be said about DJB or Collier - as Geno pointed out, it has the potential to be one of our best classes ever. And each kid possesses an uber-competitive streak. Can't wait to see these kids suit up!
Sounds like Sue Bird: pretty, nice smile, stone cold killer. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The kids who played for good HS coaches have a big advantage. Mater Dei and Christ the King have excellent coaches.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I went back to 2000 and 2001 seasons as I think those are the teams that most closely resemble the current one in terms of depth.
In 2000 the top three minute players were Bird, Sveta, and Shea, at 28 minutes each, and Cash was the only other to get over 20 minutes at 21 - 4 players 101 minutes - The rest of the crew was Jones 17, Johnson 16, Schuey 16, Williams 14, Sauer 11, Hansmeyer 9 and Czel and Rigby at 4 each. These numbers are a little misleading because they include 9 tournament games where Geno typically shortens his bench significantly so the minutes for the top end probably increased over their season averages.

In 2001 there were two major injuries Sveta in game 19 and Ralph in game 30 so other players averages increased once they were injured. Sveta averaged 25 minutes before she went down three fewer than the year before, and Ralph was at 24 minutes, 4 minutes fewer.

Of those who played the full year Sue maintained her 28 minutes, increases for Cash to 24, Asjha 20, Williams 20, Johnson 18, Schuey 17 (Czel and Rigby 6) and DT was added at 24, Battle (10 minutes through 4 games) and M. Valley at 10. Sauer and Hansmeyer graduated.

So - with the quality of players on this coming years team, I could easily see Moriah being the minutes leader at around 26, and no one else breaking an average of 25 minutes.
Freshmen (3) average 15 min - 45 minutes
Soph - Ekmark 15, Williams 15, Nurse 20, Butler 15 - 65 minutes
Junior - Chong 18, Tuck 22- 40
Seniors - Moriah 26, Stewart 24 - 50

Total - 200
You can mix and match all over the place, but you have about 80 minutes distributed at guard (79) with Chong Ekmark, Moriah, and Kia, and the rest into a pretty flexible group of forwards. Tuck may still get some added rest to make sure she stays strong through the year, and same with Stewart.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Freshmen (3) average 15 min - 45 minutes
Soph - Ekmark 15, Williams 15, Nurse 20, Butler 15 - 65 minutes
Junior - Chong 18, Tuck 22- 40
Seniors - Moriah 26, Stewart 24 - 50

Ekmark the same minutes as Williams and just 5 less than Nurse who gets a 5-minute reduction as a sophomore? Three of the best players in the country getting 26-24-22 minutes as upperclassmen?

I know you're trying to get them all a nice minutes distribution, but none of those scenarios seem plausible to me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sluconn - considering that there will only be maybe 6 competitive games before the later round of the tournament and ...
Tuck is not playing USA basketball this summer to get rest
Nurse has not had a break from competitive basketball in 16+ months with her Canadian basketball commitment (two tournaments this summer plus a European tour) and she hit a wall last year.
Stewart will not be needed as much with the solid group of forwards on the team.
I don't see the above that unreasonable. Sveta and Shea in 2001 as seniors had their minutes reduced (prior to their injuries) by 4 minutes per game because the junior forwards Williams, Jones, and Cash were available and Shea's minutes include 11 games after Sveta went down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"I dont think all 3 freshmen plays more minutes than Williams it seems he likes the incoming frosh but he loves a sophomore Gabby. He feels she can be the next great UConn player"
Gabby's minutes was one of the tougher calls to predict and I see your point. Gabby is in a very tough competitive situation. Last year she played almost exclusively in the post in meaningful games but was good enough to defend on the perimeter. Post minutes are thin this year because we have Stewie Tuck and Butler & Boykin. If Gabby moves to the wing she will still have stiff competition from Tuck, KLS and Collier. At the wing position, IMO, both KLS and Collier have a more complete tool set than Gabby and are therefore better equipped to become the next great UCONN player. If gabby is shooting 1000 shots per day she could easily close that the gap on Collier and KLS- but I suspect those two are working on thier games also.

Reaction Score
Coco - you said it--Bold prediction. Sluconn hit it too with the "minutes talk" is coming again. What I like best about all the info on this thread is Geno, Coco, and some expert that Eric quoted--all said some really good things about Boykin. Putting it out there that Boykin is for real. My favorite from Geno (and one of his nuances of recruiting) is when he said Boykin is "completely different" from the other freshman. His keen insight saw the nuances that most BB people and many coaches wouldn't even be aware of, let alone recognize as valuable. In regards to Boykin getting 18-20 minutes; if that comes true then UConn will be a monster. Of course, lots of posters feel that Butler, Collier, Lou, and Gabby will get first dibs. Even Chong would be ahead of the sub line. Can't wait for the fun to start!!
Geno and Christine had ---Svet, Sue, Dt, Swin, Tamika Asia(?) plus Shea, et al. Svet was always complaining about getting more minutes. Christine (CD) developed a playing time chart and Geno used it. Squabbles were held to a minimum. Not to worry about playing time for newbies, and the Sophs, Jr, Senior have PT locked in, Some PT will be effected by Practice participation. If that doesn't cover it--Christine (CD) will bring out her PT chart again. I doubt more than one player will have issues with PT-- Chong and Gabby will have experience on their side (in Div 1 games) Courtney will have knowing the UConn system, if she's healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom