Adamec: Azura's thoughts on next year....and "THEN" | The Boneyard

Adamec: Azura's thoughts on next year....and "THEN"

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Carl has an article in the Saturday JI with some interesting quotes from Azura. It seems she is getting used to Geno's criticisms
and that she appreciates his focus on getting her better.

A quote...not the worst news I have ever heard: "And it's good because he is helping me for next year
and then for the future when I'm in the pros."

Things can change but a frontline of Stevens/Collier and Samuelson? Yikes!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno on "his focus" with Z: “We don't generally put her in a zone and tell her, 'Guard these 5 feet, here to here. We're asking her to play defense and move and read and see things and react and anticipate, all the stuff that goes into a really good basketball player. When she moves on to the next level, they're not going to say, 'Stand in the lane.' They have a 3-second defensive rule. So I'm trying to tell her, 'Z, I don't want to do this. I don't want to get mad at you. I don't want to be a bad guy. I'm just trying to look out for your future.' That's how I'm spinning it.”

Geno Auriemma: 'As Long As We Keep Getting Better, We're OK'

BUT Z he's helping you for this year ... he wants it this year!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carl has an article in the Saturday JI with some interesting quotes from Azura. It seems she is getting used to Geno's criticisms

A quote...not the worst news I have ever heard: "And it's good because he is helping me for next year

Forget next year. How about a front line of Z, Pheesa & Gabby this year, with some combination of Lou, Kia, Danger and MW. Double Yikes!!

Reaction Score

That does sound good. Listen I asked Geno personally a week ago about Azura and he told me he 100% expects her to return and further more he does not think she's ready for the rigors and punishment of the WNBA game. Right from Genos mouth

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
That does sound good. Listen I asked Geno personally a week ago about Azura and he told me he 100% expects her to return and further more he does not think she's ready for the rigors and punishment of the WNBA game. Right from Genos mouth

I never had any doubt. Its why I have not speculated in the multiple threads about it. She is coming back. Period.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno on "his focus" with Z: “We don't generally put her in a zone and tell her, 'Guard these 5 feet, here to here. We're asking her to play defense and move and read and see things and react and anticipate, all the stuff that goes into a really good basketball player. When she moves on to the next level, they're not going to say, 'Stand in the lane.' They have a 3-second defensive rule. So I'm trying to tell her, 'Z, I don't want to do this. I don't want to get mad at you. I don't want to be a bad guy. I'm just trying to look out for your future.' That's how I'm spinning it.”

Geno Auriemma: 'As Long As We Keep Getting Better, We're OK'

BUT Z he's helping you for this year ... he wants it this year!
I haven't seen it specifically mentioned, but this is throwing MAJOR shade at a certain coach in the ACC. What he is saying is that if you only ever play zone defense in college you are completely unprepared for a professional career. And Azura only played zone defense during her first two years at Duke.

IF HS kids dream of playing professionally, choosing a coach and program that never plays man to man defense is a very poor choice - it doesn't mean you cannot play professionally, but it means you are going to have a huge learning curve when you get to the pros.

(As an aside - ask Courtney Paris about treading water in college - she is one of the few who have actually been able to struggle for a number years as a pro before finally breaking through - mostly they just disappear.)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I haven't seen it specifically mentioned, but this is throwing MAJOR shade at a certain coach in the ACC. What he is saying is that if you only ever play zone defense in college you are completely unprepared for a professional career. And Azura only played zone defense during her first two years at Duke.

IF HS kids dream of playing professionally, choosing a coach and program that never plays man to man defense is a very poor choice - it doesn't mean you cannot play professionally, but it means you are going to have a huge learning curve when you get to the pros.

(As an aside - ask Courtney Paris about treading water in college - she is one of the few who have actually been able to struggle for a number years as a pro before finally breaking through - mostly they just disappear.)
Also major shade at the majority of SEC coaches AND at his old dancing buddy Calhoun at Syracuse, who made a living out of the 2/3.

Reaction Score
Recall that Tuck swore up and down that she was coming back, but when push came to shove, she left.

Now the circumstances are different for Stevens, and I'd say she's more likely to return, especially since with Gabby out of the way she'd be more featured in the offense. But nothing anyone says now means very much.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Recall that Tuck swore up and down that she was coming back, but when push came to shove, she left.

Now the circumstances are different for Stevens, and I'd say she's more likely to return, especially since with Gabby out of the way she'd be more featured in the offense. But nothing anyone says now means very much.
Actually, during much of Tuck’s senior year, she was noncommittal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also major shade at the majority of SEC coaches AND at his old dancing buddy Calhoun at Syracuse, who made a living out of the 2/3.
I don't watch that much SEC basketball, but a lot of the better teams play a solid mixture of zone and man. I got frustrated watching a few teams playing against TN of few years ago because TN had absolutely zero offense against zone defense and they refused to play a zone - I think it was MS St that was down double digits into the fourth quarter playing man all game - they finally shifted to a zone with 8 minutes left and TN couldn't score and Ms St finally won at the end.

Reaction Score

AZZI is going to make history in the WNBA !

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It would be nice if someone posted a link to the Z article.

Reaction Score

I always thought she felt she had limited time with her knees. Also I felt she really wanted to graduate with that special class and it was time for her too go.
AS being a transfer will not identify so strongly nor is she injury prone. Right?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
AZZI is going to make history in the WNBA !
Azzi? Maybe, but she’s just a freshman in HS and hasn’t even committed to UConn. If you mean “Z” or Azura, then you may be right but as Geno says, she has a long way to go.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There seems to be quite a bit of inconsistent dialogue with what has already been discussed on here in the past. Let me see if my recollection can get us on the same page.
1. Tuck was commenting on coming back. Geno had discussions with her right after she made AA that it would be ok to turn pro given her limited knee life to play Hoop, so why wasted it in college vs. getting paid, So she did.
2. For the most part, all nicknames stay consistent and universal i.e. Z, Gabby, Kia, CD, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa, Lou. I also like KLS for Katie Lou but I seem to be in the minority as maybe KML get interlinked as they both went to the same HS in California. UConn recruits get their memes as well like Azzi (Fudd), Paige (Bueckers), SB/Sam/Baby Bru (Sam Brunelle)etc. Be careful not to confuse them. No harm, no foul.
3. College coaches are paid to win and develop players for their programs first and foremost. I have no problem with coaches playing zone. Geno is one of the very few (maybe Coach K) who coach at the higher level that develops players to be pros. I don’t think Geno “specifically” coaches for the pros, as he wants to win in college. It happens to be highly correlated as well as successful.
4. I think the Syracuse reference is Boeheim, not Calhoun.
5. Geno and CD have always developed a “family” attitude and atmosphere around the team so I just don’t ever really see a player leaving early to turn pro. It would let down the family. Also, the fact remains there is VERY LITTLE MONEY available by turning pro compared to men. Those established may be able to get big paydays overseas (DT, Elena DellaDonne, Griner) but that is usually after earning that rep first. Z would not make real money by coming out this year. Google the WNBA salaries.
6. So while Napheesa (Pheese) could go pro this spring (she’s 22), I virtually doubt it.
Please correct me where I have misspoken (as everyone’s usually does!).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think she was afraid of her knee issues, and decided to fulfill a dream.
I agree, and I also think Tuck came in with Stewie & Mo, they won 4 national championships together, and she wanted to go out on top with her good friends and teammates.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree, and I also think Tuck came in with Stewie & Mo, they won 4 national championships together, and she wanted to go out on top with her good friends and teammates.
Plus, Tuck saw the possibility of an unprecedented 1-2-3 UConn draft.

My opinion is that Morgan’s knee issues that caused her to miss about 4 games in January were the key. She saw that the WNBA—her long-time goal—was within reach, and her longevity was uncertain. As noted, she was very close to Stewie and Moriah. I think in October and even at New Years, Morgan was leaning toward staying. But the knee issues got her to reconsider.

Reaction Score
I always believed that Azura & Geno had an agreement, written or unwritten, that she would remain 2 years. It would not make sense that Geno would spend time, training & coaching her, for one season & depart. Yes, nothing written in stone !

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I always believed that Azura & Geno had an agreement, written or unwritten, that she would remain 2 years. It would not make sense that Geno would spend time, training & coaching her, for one season & depart. Yes, nothing written in stone !

Imho, the only "deal" Geno would make is to promise Z that he would be honest when advising her on her career options. If it is in her best interests to move on and she has reached her potential (or at least close enough) , he would say so and if she still had more to learn and improve before going pro, he would tell her that. I don't think Geno views his time coaching elite players as work but a pleasure and he is already in the Gym.

Reaction Score

Funny u say that. I heard this somewhere too.

Reaction Score
There seems to be quite a bit of inconsistent dialogue with what has already been discussed on here in the past. Let me see if my recollection can get us on the same page.
1. Tuck was commenting on coming back. Geno had discussions with her right after she made AA that it would be ok to turn pro given her limited knee life to play Hoop, so why wasted it in college vs. getting paid, So she did.
2. For the most part, all nicknames stay consistent and universal i.e. Z, Gabby, Kia, CD, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa, Lou. I also like KLS for Katie Lou but I seem to be in the minority as maybe KML get interlinked as they both went to the same HS in California. UConn recruits get their memes as well like Azzi (Fudd), Paige (Bueckers), SB/Sam/Baby Bru (Sam Brunelle)etc. Be careful not to confuse them. No harm, no foul.
3. College coaches are paid to win and develop players for their programs first and foremost. I have no problem with coaches playing zone. Geno is one of the very few (maybe Coach K) who coach at the higher level that develops players to be pros. I don’t think Geno “specifically” coaches for the pros, as he wants to win in college. It happens to be highly correlated as well as successful.
4. I think the Syracuse reference is Boeheim, not Calhoun.
5. Geno and CD have always developed a “family” attitude and atmosphere around the team so I just don’t ever really see a player leaving early to turn pro. It would let down the family. Also, the fact remains there is VERY LITTLE MONEY available by turning pro compared to men. Those established may be able to get big paydays overseas (DT, Elena DellaDonne, Griner) but that is usually after earning that rep first. Z would not make real money by coming out this year. Google the WNBA salaries.
6. So while Napheesa (Pheese) could go pro this spring (she’s 22), I virtually doubt it.
Please correct me where I have misspoken (as everyone’s usually does!).
Appreciate the "clarifications"....and, as we know, the best "Defense" is a good offense!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom