Adama Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Whaley had 0 points on 0-3. He’s a fifth year senior. We shouldn’t be ok with that. Instead of saying if Sanogo made the bunnies, maybe Whaley could score a basket or we can get Cole and Polley more shot attempts.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Sanogo puts up some gaudy numbers but he is terribly inefficient for a 5.'
fail.
the proof?
i know, turrible, right?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’m not gonna hate on Sanogo. He’s the best player on the team (Cole is most important) and his improvement from freshman to sophomore is incredible. He got another double double last night.
It’s not so much hate on Sanogo at all. I mean he is a 1st team all conference player. And deserved to be. He can definitely be frustrating at times, mostly through his unwillingness to kick out of triple teams, but who can’t be frustrating?

My issue is more with Hurley usage via lineup and play calling . You can’t run an offense through someone who shoots well below the expectation for that position and doesn’t pass . Adama could pretty much put up the same numbers with a different usage approach

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It’s not so much hate on Sanogo at all. I mean he is a 1st team all conference player. And deserved to be. He can definitely be frustrating at times, mostly through his unwillingness to kick out of triple teams, but who can’t be frustrating?

My issue is more with Hurley usage via lineup and play calling . You can’t run an offense through someone who shoots well below the expectation for that position and doesn’t pass . Adama could pretty much put up the same numbers with a different usage approach
Your last paragraph I agree with. A bunch of us have been saying for awhile that playing Whaley and Sanogo limits us offensively. When you bring that up the counter is our defense is great with those two. But we need to score the ball. Bringing Hawkins in or Polley changes the offense in a big way. Another missing piece is the lack of development from gaffney.

Last four minutes of the game Whaley and Sanogo are both in over Polley.

Reaction Score
Pass the ball out of the post. Find the open shooter. Open shooter...make yourself available to receive the Pass. Can someone forward this to the coaching staff or @Chief00. They have a week to figure it out before the next game.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Sanogo's lesson from the game is simple:

Whenever you are in the low post and are guarded by a much smaller player, keep your footwork and post play in the same rhythm as you would if it were a traditional big guarding you. Don't get greedy and rush the process.

When someone smaller than Dixon was guarding him in the low post, Sanogo wanted to take advantage of his size and that caused him to speed up his post moves, therefore causing a few gimmes to miss.

It's a simple fix and Sanogo is a smart and reflective kid. He'll make the adjustment if we play games without a traditional big.
This is spot-on and something the announcers alluded to last night.

There is also a second lesson for Sanogo. In a crucial moment under a minute left, Sanogo failed to secure the rebound when he had a strong base and both his hands on the ball. He needs to play as strong as he looks. IMO it's a completely different outcome if he holds on to that ball.

Reaction Score
What cockburs field goal percentage? How about kalkbrenners?
Ya it’ll be a point of emphasis for him next season to get closer to 60%, he’d make a big leap if he can do that. He takes some tough hook shots, anything from about 12 feet and out for him isn’t good. His post up shots when deep in the post are usually effective, it’s just not always easy to get that look, especially when you’re playing a line up with only 2 shooters around him.

Reaction Score
Whaley had 0 points on 0-3. He’s a fifth year senior. We shouldn’t be ok with that. Instead of saying if Sanogo made the bunnies, maybe Whaley could score a basket or we can get Cole and Polley more shot attempts.
Plenty of blame to go around. There was a point in the game where Adama was 3/11 from the field and 1/4 from the line and UConn gave the lead up during that stretch and Nova never looked back. He had a rough go for awhile there. Whaley is awesome but he’s limited offensively. Few plays late in that game that really showed his limitations (turnover on an attempted pass to the post) and a wide open missed mid range. Hopefully Hawkins can make it back and they can utilize line ups with him and/or Polley even more. They need the spacing and scoring they can provide.

Reaction Score
Kessler 62.5%
Timme 58.8%
Cockburn 59.8%
Tshiebwe 60.5%

Sanogo 50.6%

Anything else svejk?
These stats are misleading due to what is expected of Sanogo. When the starters are on the floor, everyone knows the offensive focus is to give the ball to Sanogo down low and other teams have adjusted to that. Yes, Sanogo should pass when he is double and triple teamed and he has to learn to become a better passer, but Whaley and Jackson are offensively limited in a half court offense. We needed more offensive threats on the floor to open up the inside for Sanogo, but UConn is not a good shooting team. Look at the FG% of the UConn players:

Whaley 50.8%
Sanogo 50.6%
Martin 45.2%
Jackson 42.2%
Cole 41.3%
Polley 37.5%
Hawkins 35.3%
Gaffney 35.2%

Here is UConn's team shooting % and ranking:

2 point % = 47.8% ranked #249/358 schools
3 point % = 35.3% ranked #78/358
Overall shooting % = 43.6% ranked #175/258

Reaction Score
Yes, they are collapsing around Adama but we lack spot up shooters to take advantage when that happens. Even with all that we are in every game pretty much.

Reaction Score
It's roster construction folks. We're mossing 1 impact guard, and Sanogo and Whaley don't pair well. Limits our ceiling.

I don't think we're a better team next year, but I think we'll see a more balanced roster going forward.

Reaction Score
You guys who are dissing RJ for last night ar unbelievable. Playing head to head against the player of the year in the coneference his stat line was 11 pts, 8 assists, 8 rebounds, 3 turnovers while being the only true ball handler and playing 38 minutes. Yes he could have shot better I agree. And he held Gillepsie to 5 points. Give Gillepsie props for his 10 assists. But RJ played his butt off and outplayed Gillepsie.
RJ had a good game except for 3 point shooting but he DID NOT outplay Gillespie.

Reaction Score
What's missing is the kickout from the post. I don't know if it's because he hasn't learned how or because his teammates are just watching him instead of getting into postion. All the better teams free up threes and long twos that way. The defenders know that they can converge on Adamo, because he rarely passes out once he gets the ball down low.
True

Reaction Score
I mostly agree with the threadstarter. Adama is a beast. We are lucky to have him. He had a couple bad games. It’s kind of obvious he’s a little bit injured right now too. He’s not a high flyer or anything but he usually gets off the ground much better than he has recently. He also plays harder than just about anyone. He needs to be better in the ncaa tournament but he’s definitely working his butt off. Nothing wrong with criticizing his play but the word “soft” should never ever ever be used in the same sentence as Sanogo and I’ve seen that on here a couple of times today.

Reaction Score
It's roster construction folks. We're mossing 1 impact guard, and Sanogo and Whaley don't pair well. Limits our ceiling.

I don't think we're a better team next year, but I think we'll see a more balanced roster going forward.
Yep, that’s it exactly. Akok was supposed to be the stretch 4 to pair with a guy like Sanogo but it never really worked out. I’ll worry about next year after the season; but it’ll be very interesting to see what the roster looks like. Might be an off-season to dip into the transfer market.

Reaction Score
I’ll be that guy …. How you gonna blame the kid who had 15 points and 13 rebounds? Adama is a warrior.

Hurley’s offensive plan is almost solely reliant on getting the ball to sanogo in the post. You, me and everyone knows this.

So, Yes he missed a bunch of shots around the rim last night but he usually had three guys hanging on him. And still, the plan is feed the post. The offense is so reliant on this strategy it stagnates when adama is off the floor.

Maybe we find a few more shots for Polley? Maybe RJ Cole is more involved like in pick and roll action? Maybe Jackson makes the good play instead of trying to make the spectacular play?

Or maybe we got beat by a more talented and more disciplined team. No shame in that.

But no way am I piling on the kid, a sophomore who has a lot of great moments ahead of him in a husky uniform, who had 15 points and 13 rebounds.

I don't want to pile on a kid who plays that hard either, and I'm not going to do so. But the bottom line is you can win two tournaments games with a jump shooter shooting under 40 per cent, and you can't if your big is. I'm not saying he isn't better than CArlton -- he is -- but this board beat up on Josh for two years for missing inside shots when he hit a far higher percentage of them than Sanogo has the last few games.

Could more shooters and a better offensive game plan help him? Absolutely. But if we're going to be a second weekend team, and he's only shooting in the paint, he has to make a majority of his shots.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Kessler 62.5%
Timme 58.8%
Cockburn 59.8%
Tshiebwe 60.5%

Sanogo 50.6%

Anything else svejk?
and now for the hard of thinking, or game.

preseason, coach sez 'ball goes thru adama.' period.
now, did any super-duper, all-knowing, deep dish analysts, here think
Sanogo Among 5 Finalists For Abdul-Jabbar Center Of The Year Award

i know that i sure didn't.
great call, coach. great play, adama. great year (so far!), team.

i think that back then, u had a different hero perception, even made it ur picture there, for a bit. dagger try? my butt. adama gettin paid. biggly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We might be able to beat a 12 seed with Sanogo shooting 6 for 15 if others step up (Martin in particular has been a beast lately).

We're not beating a 4 seed with Sanogo shooting 6 for 15. He either needs to step it up or he cannot be the focal point of the offense. 2 for 6 isn't good, but doesn't kill us.

Reaction Score
Superstars step up and make the plays. He has exceptional upside but there is zero excuse for him not to physically dominate when finishing at the rim. There was another 10 points he left on the floor that would have made all the difference. That margin between 15 and 25 is where All-Americans are made.

Reaction Score
'Sanogo puts up some gaudy numbers but he is terribly inefficient for a 5.'
fail.
the proof?
i know, turrible, right?
I want to make sure I understand your logic (and forgive me for using your statements and the word logic in the same sentence).

It's o.k. for us to think the media UNDERRATES one of our players. There is a clear consensus here that Martin was underrated by the All Conference selections, one that I agree with. But it's not o.k. to think that one of our players might be overrated, because .... Well, I guess because you say so.

Sanogo is a really good two way player, much improved over last year, and I'm glad we have him. But he has not been as successful making a high percentage of his shots as he was earlier in the season, or that he needs to be for us to be a second weekend team. And no vague media award nominations from folks who haven't seen him play all or almost all his games, as I and many others here have, is going to change my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom