Adama Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As long as he doesn't ride the pine like he did down the stretch like against............................ was it St. Johns? last year?
That was easily the most questionable move of Hurley’s tenure thus far. We were matching up to them instead of playing to our strengths. He was unstoppable that game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was easily the most questionable move of Hurley’s tenure thus far. We were matching up to them instead of playing to our strengths. He was unstoppable that game.

Agree 100%. Teams like St. Johns don't have anybody who can defend a player like him, so they go 4 guards. The worst thing we can do is try to match up instead of adjusting our defense. We could have won that game going away.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Teams like St. Johns don't have anybody who can defend a player like him, so they go 4 guards. The worst thing we can do is try to match up instead of adjusting our defense. We could have won that game going away.

Hurley's reluctance to trust talented freshman has cost us games. Now that our recruiting is more well-rounded it's really the only big concern I have for this team. IMO it's the difference between us becoming a top-25, second weekend fixture and not. The recruiting doesn't last if players don't see top-50 talent playing big minutes and being trusted in big moments.

Reaction Score
Hurley's reluctance to trust talented freshman has cost us games. Now that our recruiting is more well-rounded it's really the only big concern I have for this team. IMO it's the difference between us becoming a top-25, second weekend fixture and not. The recruiting doesn't last if players don't see top-50 talent playing big minutes and being trusted in big moments.
Hurley and KO for that matter was wedded to upper class men. Last season I was screaming at the tv over Sanogo’s underuse.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

In this case, he said Adama couldn't go outside an guard a guard, so he had to to come out. Not sure that's trust as much as being unwilling (as we've seen) to switch to zone for a few minutes so you can leave him in and force St. Johns to bring an ineffective big in to guard him. Hurley would have say Kareem, Shaq or Ewing in that situation. He need to fix that.

With freshmen it's defense. I'm hoping this class is going to solve that side of the equation and play well enough on D to get minutes.

Reaction Score
In this case, he said Adama couldn't go outside an guard a guard, so he had to to come out. Not sure that's trust as much as being unwilling (as we've seen) to switch to zone for a few minutes so you can leave him in and force St. Johns to bring an ineffective big in to guard him. Hurley would have say Kareem, Shaq or Ewing in that situation. He need to fix that.

With freshmen it's defense. I'm hoping this class is going to solve that side of the equation and play well enough on D to get minutes.

From what he's said in interviews, Hawkins and Johnson both stand a good chance of getting minutes. Hawkins definitely. Johnson competing with Akok for some minutes. And they're both guys that should be up to snuff defensively with a little bit of experience. Diggins is going to have a hard time with defense at first. He wasn't even very good at the high school level. Especially since with Cole and Gaffney both able to play the 1, he doesn't have to play. Hawkins in particular will need to play minutes because of our roster construction. Whether it's 15 minutes or 30 will depend on his adjustment to D1 of course.

Reaction Score
Can we forgive Coach for that St. Johns game and move on. I think he has played his freshman. Which ones other than Sanogo who played over 17 mpg deserved more time?

Reaction Score
Can we forgive Coach for that St. Johns game and move on. I think he has played his freshman. Which ones other than Sanogo who played over 17 mpg deserved more time?
We were not winning a national championship last year so 17 minutes was too little. I would have played him until he fouled out because any floor time contributes to the value he would have in this coming year. We may not even have him for a 3rd.

Reaction Score
This year will probably be different for SJU who added a bit more size up front. Sanogo still strong and talented enough to give most teams problems though.

Reaction Score
Adama showed us some very good post moves last year. If he has added a jump hook and a jump shot in the paint this year he will be very difficult to stop.
As for the freshman, coach Hurley will need to play them to continue to get these type of players in the future. These are players that will get minutes some more than others depending on position.

Reaction Score
There’s no way anyone has a deeper front court than us. Samson Johnson, a top 50 prospect, is like 4th in line behind the reining freshman of the year, defensive player of the year, 6th man of the year at the stretch and a healthy Akok. I don’t remember a UConn team with this kind of depth at forward. Good problem to have.
Okafor, Villanueva, Boone and Armstrong might argue with you on who had more depth.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Now something to anger UConn fans. Take a look at Lindy's. Sanogo is not only on the BE 1st team, which I think he will be, he isn't mentioned at all. Cole is 2nd team and these guys are so stupid they have Polley 3rd team (he's probably 3rd on the SF depth chart).

Reaction Score
Now something to anger UConn fans. Take a look at Lindy's. Sanogo is not only on the BE 1st team, which I think he will be, he isn't mentioned at all. Cole is 2nd team and these guys are so stupid they have Polley 3rd team (he's probably 3rd on the SF depth chart).

this is a joke. in what world is polley third-team all-conference, but NOT the best shooter in the conference?? if he has some insane outlier season it will be because he shoots like 50%.

Reaction Score
this is a joke. in what world is polley third-team all-conference, but NOT the best shooter in the conference?? if he has some insane outlier season it will be because he shoots like 50%.
Nate Johnson shot 45% from 3 on almost 6 attempts per game last year, he's one of the best shooters in the country. It's no knock on Polley to be behind him for best shooter

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The joke is that he's on this list at all. I don't think he's going to play that much. Sanogo not being at least 2nd team is absurd. I think he's likely to be 1st team by the end of the season.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Sanago will be a beast. I'm sure he has been working on increasing his range. He will get to his spot and1 year smarter less fouling.

Just not the fast twitch muscle guy.
I firmly believe that officials are not unbiased.

New kids with high potential are often throttled by cheap foul calls intended to reduce their impact.

At the same time, "impact players" are given much more latitude, as well as a degree of protection from the new kids with high potential.

It is a lot of effort to try to keep expectations we managed, in my opinion.

This year, Adam is no longer the new kid with high potential. IMHO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom