Adama / Andre Highlights @ NBA Combine | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adama / Andre Highlights @ NBA Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just don't think anybody thinks the upside is there. He's projected at best as a backup.

If one of them has a chance of getting drafted in the 1st or getting a guarantee of getting picked in the early 2nd (with guaranteed money involved), it's AJ. Teams will imagine overhauling his shot and turning him into a starting-caliber player.
Sure, but Draymond Green was supposed to be a backup too. The NBA draft is like buying scratch tickets. Even the top picks sometimes flop. A lot of lottery guys are just backups. So yeah, they are projecting guys who have some untapped potential, like Andre.

But Adama can absolutely become a starter in the NBA. A star? Probably not. He also has a high floor, he has almost no chance of being completely useless. When he came from behind to block the shot of a guard in that video, showing some elevation, quickness and timing, that should open eyes. Everybody knows what he can do on offense in the paint.

Reaction Score
I just don't think anybody thinks the upside is there. He's projected at best as a backup.

If one of them has a chance of getting drafted in the 1st or getting a guarantee of getting picked in the early 2nd (with guaranteed money involved), it's AJ. Teams will imagine overhauling his shot and turning him into a starting-caliber player.
I agree but I worry about Jackson more. I could see a scenario where Jackson eventually just fits really well in the NBA as a connector playing great D, unique vision, doing the little things or I could see him never making the NBA because he just doesn't score.

I'm more and more convinced Sanogo will find a way stick in the league.

Reaction Score
“It’s sports, people are gonna say what they want,” Sanogo said Thursday in reference to doubt around his height. “You can only control what you control, so I’m trying to focus, work hard, do stuff that makes me happy. I’m not trying to worry about what people are saying. The only thing I can control is keep working on my game.”

Alternate access:

Adama Sanogo focused on controlling what he can, appreciating opportunity at NBA Draft Combine

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
“It’s sports, people are gonna say what they want,” Sanogo said Thursday in reference to doubt around his height. “You can only control what you control, so I’m trying to focus, work hard, do stuff that makes me happy. I’m not trying to worry about what people are saying. The only thing I can control is keep working on my game.”

Alternate access:

Adama Sanogo focused on controlling what he can, appreciating opportunity at NBA Draft Combine

I was reminded of something I often consider thinking about basketball Height, Rob Williams triggered it watching him. He has a short neck. If you want to measure basketball heights, it shouldn’t be to their heads, it should be to their shoulders. My guess is Rob has higher shoulders than some guys 2 inches taller. Adama might as well. Those guys will always play taller than their heights.

Reaction Score
I was reminded of something I often consider thinking about basketball Height, Rob Williams triggered it watching him. He has a short neck. If you want to measure basketball heights, it shouldn’t be to their heads, it should be to their shoulders. My guess is Rob has higher shoulders than some guys 2 inches taller. Adama might as well. Those guys will always play taller than their heights.
That's why they measure standing reach and wingspan. That's more an indication of your basketball height and how you can play than the top of your head.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sure, but Draymond Green was supposed to be a backup too. The NBA draft is like buying scratch tickets. Even the top picks sometimes flop. A lot of lottery guys are just backups. So yeah, they are projecting guys who have some untapped potential, like Andre.

But Adama can absolutely become a starter in the NBA. A star? Probably not. He also has a high floor, he has almost no chance of being completely useless. When he came from behind to block the shot of a guard in that video, showing some elevation, quickness and timing, that should open eyes. Everybody knows what he can do on offense in the paint.

I'm not saying what Adama can or can't do. I was talking about how NBA scouts & execs see him.

The Heat are playing something like 7 undrafted guys, so you don't need to tell me NBA front offices screw up on the regular!

Reaction Score
Russillo was at the combine today and raved about Adama’s showing today - said he was dominant. Unfortunately some of the GMs he spoke weren’t as high on him. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
And Sanogo is basically Jokic so this makes sense.
Umm no. It makes sense because Jokic was passed on 40 times in a draft and it goes to show that all kinds of value and talent can be found in players that escape the first round. AS falling out of the first round would have no correlation to the type of career he COULD have.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Umm no. It makes sense because Jokic was passed on 40 times in a draft and it goes to show that all kinds of value and talent can be found in players that escape the first round. AS falling out of the first round would have no correlation to the type of career he COULD have.
“Good player sometimes drafted second round.” Would’ve made more sense. Evoking the name of a future top 15 player makes it sound like you’re comparing them.

Reaction Score
Late first round/early second round.. Indiana has picks 26/29/32.. Could see AJ falling in that range since Pacers are already showing some interest in him with workouts.. Next week's follow up meetings will be telling.

Could see the creativity of San Antonio's player development/skill development staff intrigued by Adama.. Talking heads are speculating that Popovich might be inclined to have Wemby play the 4.. Not sure what their stable of Bigs looks like but a smaller Big --when paired with Wemby--could allow for better spacing on the floor.. SA has picks 33/44 in second round. BTW.. Not saying AS is a starter anytime soon.. Just suggesting it would be/could be an interesting tandem for matchup purposes when on the floor together..The fact that Adama speaks fluent French does not hurt him with Wemby.. Could see them taking a chance on AS on the 44 pick..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't believe I haven't seen any chatter about the Courant article from Wednesday where Jackson is quoted saying that he's "probably" not returning to the team. I feel like this is news.

Did we already know that AJax doesn't expect to return?

Reaction Score
I can't believe I haven't seen any chatter about the Courant article from Wednesday where Jackson is quoted saying that he's "probably" not returning to the team. I feel like this is news.

Did we already know that AJax doesn't expect to return?
It was posted in other threads yesterday. It's a little ambiguous and also gives himself an out (in the other direction) if he changes his mind, but this was the sense that a lot of us had that if he was getting late 1st early 2nd looks he'd stay in (and that Hurley would suggest he do so.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've had him gone mentally for at least a month. I would feel bad if he came back.

Reaction Score
I agree but I worry about Jackson more. I could see a scenario where Jackson eventually just fits really well in the NBA as a connector playing great D, unique vision, doing the little things or I could see him never making the NBA because he just doesn't score.

I'm more and more convinced Sanogo will find a way stick in the league.
Kevin Ollie had a long career and he couldn't shoot. AJ is tenacious and smart . Teams love that. Hope he finds a good team that values intangibles

Reaction Score
Been saying this since I first saw Clingan. Clingan has a small head, so he’s like a 7’4” guy, because you’re right that shoulder height matters, not head height. We block shots with our arms and they’re connected to our shoulders, not our head.

I think it won’t be long until height isn’t as measured as some name for shoulder height+arm length height, “standing vertical reach”, nailed it!!

Reaction Score
Been saying this since I first saw Clingan. Clingan has a small head, so he’s like a 7’4” guy, because you’re right that shoulder height matters, not head height. We block shots with our arms and they’re connected to our shoulders, not our head.

I think it won’t be long until height isn’t as measured as some name for shoulder height+arm length height, “standing vertical reach”, nailed it!!
Standing reach is already one of the main measurements for basketball. They do it at the NBA combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom