AD Manuel has critics, but many of his moves have flourished Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD Manuel has critics, but many of his moves have flourished Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Listen Hartford sucks but you can't find parking if you don't know the facilities? There are a plethora of lots that are $5 that are seconds off 84. The traffic in Hartford is absolutely nothing compared to Fairfield County to argue the opposite is crazy talk.

I'm not saying anyone should come to Hartford for any reason but at least stick to reality.

You are sort of confirming my original point anyway FCF. People from Ffld Cty don't want to go to Hartford - and they will give you every reason (some true, some not) in the world why they shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Right. And in fact, the only reason I EVER go to Hartford is for Uconn games. Without a Uconn game there is no draw.

Reaction Score
Another important factor----as UConn competes with the Michigans and Wisconsins academically, more of the rich folk's kids in Fairfield County will consider UConn. It's probably already happening quite a bit. This will lead to sold football tickets in Fairfield County over time, especially with a B1G schedule.

Be very interesting to see a map displaying current distribution of UConn FBseason ticket holders and UConn BB season tix holders side by side and combined.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've always found NYC to be far easier to enter, park and exit than Hartford.

This post is just someone being contrarian. Of course, Manhattan has more to offer than Hartford. New York is one of the top cities in the world. But most of the Hartford attractions are just a block or 2 from the interstate. You can park right a block away or less for 10 bucks. Getting in and out is a piece of cake.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The good news is that Downtown Hartford can be improved with a few simple steps. The problem is that every one of these steps is expensive and they basically have to happen all at once, which neither the City, nor State can possibly afford on their own.

1. Developers must be able to withstand the hit that caused by lower office space rent (may take incentification to do this but it needs to be done). Get big business back downtown and out of the suburbs. Get college grads out of the Pavilions at Buckland and in to Hartford 21. You need the middle class before you can cater to the more well off.

2. Gut the BOA Tower and re-purpose part of it into residential apartments. Keep the lower floors as commercial.

3. Get a nationally recognized grocery store somewhere within the 6 block radius of downtown (Adrian's landing is still largly empty isn't it?).

4. Put UConn-Hartford downtown, not north of Downtown.

Reaction Score
Over the years Hartford, really Connecticut has been 1 missed opportunity after another, too. And one fad after another, too I think. Think about trying to create an entertainment district. You have the Civic/XL Center, Hartford Stage and the Bushnell as the major venues. But what if they were right in the same neighborhood/on the same street? Obviously the Bushnell was there, but there was no thought to locating the others near it. Especially the Hartford Stage. And then we have the theater formerly known as Oakdale in Wallingford...located right where it can compete not just with the Bushnell but also with the New Haven theaters, too...all done with State funds. But getting back to Hartford, the Bushnell attracts a half a million people a year between concerts, theater, and other events. for all the value it adds to hartford it might as well be in Rocky Hill...the parking is frankly too convenient and there is nothing nearby. You want a post performance drink and you need to drive. And once you're in the car you might as well go to West Hartford or Wethersfield or Simsbury . You aren't stopping in Hartford. If I were king, I'd build a new Hartford Stage on the parking lot across the street, then put restaurants and bars up and down Capital Ave. If I had to build a parking garage so be it. I'd move all those state offices along Washingotn Street elsewhere and locate more entertainment venues there. Maybe some housing too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to the Bushnell after having dinner down the street at Firebox the weekend before last. My bad, I guess.

Reaction Score
The good news is that Downtown Hartford can be improved with a few simple steps. The problem is that every one of these steps is expensive and they basically have to happen all at once, which neither the City, nor State can possibly afford on their own.

1. Developers must be able to withstand the hit that caused by lower office space rent (may take incentification to do this but it needs to be done). Get big business back downtown and out of the suburbs. Get college grads out of the Pavilions at Buckland and in to Hartford 21. You need the middle class before you can cater to the more well off.

2. Gut the BOA Tower and re-purpose part of it into residential apartments. Keep the lower floors as commercial.

3. Get a nationally recognized grocery store somewhere within the 6 block radius of downtown (Adrian's landing is still largly empty isn't it?).

4. Put UConn-Hartford downtown, not north of Downtown.

1) Apartment/Condos are fully rented Downtown. There is a solid population of young working adults. The vacancy rate (as of Dec 2012 couldn't find any updated data) is less that 5%.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-12...ent-vacancy-studios-and-one-bedrooms-downtown

2) The BOA Bulding is being repurposed for exactly what you suggested. They are expecting their first tenants by February of 2014.

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-est...ants-expected-at-main-street-tower-in-a-year/

3) The lack of a grocery store is easiestly my, and my neighbors, biggest complaint living downtown. The market at 21 was a massive failure due to being boutique-like and overpriced, in addition to lacking a demand for expensive groceries. With the expected addition of 1,000 more apartment units I'd expect a grocery store to have plans to move in by the end of 2014, but that is completely a gut feeling and not based on anything I have heard.

4) Yes! Plop it at the proposed site on Main St and call it a day. I was all for the placement at the old paper building on Front St, but it looks like Hooker Brewery is exploring moving there, which I would much prefer.

Husky25

Reaction Score
1) Apartment/Condos are fully rented Downtown. There is a solid population of young working adults. The vacancy rate (as of Dec 2012 couldn't find any updated data) is less that 5%.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-12...ent-vacancy-studios-and-one-bedrooms-downtown

2) The BOA Bulding is being repurposed for exactly what you suggested. They are expecting their first tenants by February of 2014.

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-est...ants-expected-at-main-street-tower-in-a-year/

3) The lack of a grocery store is easiestly my, and my neighbors, biggest complaint living downtown. The market at 21 was a massive failure due to being boutique-like and overpriced, in addition to lacking a demand for expensive groceries. With the expected addition of 1,000 more apartment units I'd expect a grocery store to have plans to move in by the end of 2014, but that is completely a gut feeling and not based on anything I have heard.

4) Yes! Plop it at the proposed site on Main St and call it a day. I was all for the placement at the old paper building on Front St, but it looks like Hooker Brewery is exploring moving there, which I would much prefer.

I was referring more to commercial, than residential with my firs point. Last I checked, commercial rents downtown are 3x what they are in the 'burbs but don't really offer anything unique.

I'm happy that the BOA building is being redone. Do you know if that timeline is still on schedule?

The Goodwin Hotel and associated office building is vacant now as well. That needs to be repurposed too. If the Russian Lady can come back, so can the rest of Downtown...

Reaction Score
I was referring more to commercial, than residential with my firs point. Last I checked, commercial rents downtown are 3x what they are in the 'burbs but don't really offer anything unique.

I'm happy that the BOA building is being redone. Do you know if that timeline is still on schedule?

The Goodwin Hotel and associated office building is vacant now as well. That needs to be repurposed too. If the Russian Lady can come back, so can the rest of Downtown...

Woops. I misinterpreted your first point when you brought up Hartford 21 I guess I disregarded everything your wrote before it. The vacancy (read: abandonment) of the plaza buildings hurts big time there. I haven't really seen much improvements in that regard since living here either.

I haven't heard anything that would lead me to beleive the BOA building isn't on schedule. I think the schedule is a bit optimistic with first tenants being in February, but I'd imagine it will be in early 2013 you will see apartments going on the market. I saw some work being done last month, but nothing since.

Are you sure the office tower is vacant? I am pretty sure it's only the hotel. I see quite a few people going in and out of there during the business day. I work with an attorney in Texas who complains every time I see him that the Goodwin closed. The guy really loved it there.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Woops. I misinterpreted your first point when you brought up Hartford 21 I guess I disregarded everything your wrote before it. The vacancy (read: abandonment) of the plaza buildings hurts big time there. I haven't really seen much improvements in that regard since living here either.

I haven't heard anything that would lead me to beleive the BOA building isn't on schedule. I think the schedule is a bit optimistic with first tenants being in February, but I'd imagine it will be in early 2013 you will see apartments going on the market. I saw some work being done last month, but nothing since.

Are you sure the office tower is vacant? I am pretty sure it's only the hotel. I see quite a few people going in and out of there during the business day. I work with an attorney in Texas who complains every time I see him that the Goodwin closed. The guy really loved it there.
No, I'm not sure about the tower. I am friends with a lot of people who used to work for Ernst & Young and I know E&Y moved. I just assumed it was because the office tower closed along with the hotel. I suppose we just found out what that makes me...:)

Husky25

Reaction Score

Hooker moving downtown would be YUGE in a Mike Francesa sorta way!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This post is just someone being contrarian. Of course, Manhattan has more to offer than Hartford. New York is one of the top cities in the world. But most of the Hartford attractions are just a block or 2 from the interstate. You can park right a block away or less for 10 bucks. Getting in and out is a piece of cake.
Evidently you've never tried to leave the Civic Center after a weeknight men's hoops game. Normally there is no point in starting the car until at least 20 minutes after getting to it as there is no way to pull out if the parking space (due to all of the early departures lined up to leave) until then. from there it is a nightmare navigating to 91 (or 84). I'll take leaving Manhattan any day of the week.

Reaction Score
I park in the dirt lot about 3 blocks away. Takes me 5 minutes to get out.

Yesterday it took me 2 hours to get out of the city from the MSG area. 3:15 to get home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I park in the dirt lot about 3 blocks away. Takes me 5 minutes to get out.

Yesterday it took me 2 hours to get out of the city from the MSG area. 3:15 to get home.

If you can't get out ot the Hartford parking lots in 5 minutes you aren't parking in the right place. The surface lots are 2 blocks from the CC, cost $5 and are seconds from 91, 84 and 2. Going south in 91 takes a couple of cycles of lights after a game, that's about it.

Parking in a garage is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104