AD Manuel has critics, but many of his moves have flourished Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn | The Boneyard

AD Manuel has critics, but many of his moves have flourished Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And right now, in all seriousness, the fan base should be pleased with Manuel. Most of his moves have been hits -- cause for high-fives (the scheduling), raucous applause (an upgraded hockey situation) and pure jubilation (Ollie's long-term deal). In 14 months, he's markedly improved UConn's athletic department. There's no doubt about it.
There's also no doubt about this: In the next 14, the crowd will want to see The Conference Shuffle.

[URL='http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Kevin-Duffy-AD-Manuel-has-critics-but-many-of-4528324.php#ixzz2TkX9wZwc']http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Kevin-Duffy-AD-Manuel-has-critics-but-many-of-4528324.php#ixzz2TkX9wZwc
[/URL]

Reaction Score
No problem with the guy. A football/hockey guy from the B1G is precisely what the school needs right now--esp. a Michigan guy.

Not sure how much he knows about bball, but his reluctance to buy fully into Ollie is the only thing that counts against him right now. It might've cost the program XRM.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If he's really a rock star, and we're stuck in the AAC forever, he will be leaving. I think he would be fine if we were already in the ACC, but our situation going forward will be grim. And I'm not sold on the HE move, because Molloy wants games in Hartford, which is ludicrous long term, so there will be little incentive, or available money, to do it right by building a suitable arena on campus.

Reaction Score
If he's really a rock star, and we're stuck in the AAC forever, he will be leaving. I think he would be fine if we were already in the ACC, but our situation going forward will be grim. And I'm not sold on the HE move, because Molloy wants games in Hartford, which is ludicrous long term, so there will be little incentive, or available money, to do it right by building a suitable arena on campus.

This school needs an AD who accomplishes a lot and leaves for bigger schools (like Michigan). This is what the school needs at this point. Lew Perkins to Kansas. Jeff Hathaway to Hofstra.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that what we need is a president & athletic director who together can turn this school into Michigan.

Reaction Score
I personally believe that what we need is a president & athletic director who together can turn this school into Michigan.

Well that's exactly what the President has in mind. And I'd think the AD does too.

pj

Reaction Score

That's easy. All we need to do is annex Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Was hired to manage the MBB transition, help get us into a better conference, strengthen the FB program, and improve academics. So far, I'd say he's 1 out of 2 with 2 incompletes. Gets extra credit for Hockey.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Would be better to convince Fairfield County they are in Connecticut.
Fairfield County is fully aware that we are in Connecticut. The school however (along with many resident from the middle of the state) has only caught on very recently.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fairfield County is fully aware that we are in Connecticut. The school however (along with many resident from the middle of the state) has only caught on very recently.

Sounds like progress from when I lived there. Nobody I knew there would dream of going to Hartford for anything.

Reaction Score
Right on the nose with that. Lived in Fairfield County for 20+ years (now in Boston) and it was a disgrace that you couldn't watch any of the football games until SNY came along. Fairfield County is in Cablevision country so no ESPN3 meaning we're blacked out of watching any Uconn games not on SNY. The radio channels they would broadcast games on was not strong enough to reach down here either. Was an absolute terrible marketing job to the largest populace in the state. Thankfully SNY was helped to an extent

Reaction Score
The eastern part of Fairfield County has always been strong UConn country
Greenwich isn't the only town in Fairfield County

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Part of the HE deal is UConn has to have a campus rink plan by February 2016.

"UConn has an agreement with Hockey East for a campus facility plan by February 2016. There could be a new facility with 5,000 seats. UConn also has hired architects for a feasibility study. One possibility is a major renovation of Gampel Pavilion to put in a rink and luxury seats, etc. That's all in the exploratory stage......."

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
All else being equal I would look at a QU style facility for BB and Hockey. Gampel is on the back nine. I don't think it could work operationally as a three sport facility, potentially having to host three games in a 24 hour span with two changeovers. Maybe with the new BB facility it works, but having Gampel dead in the middle of campus causes a lot of problems. Don't get me started on the South Garage.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

"UConn has an agreement with Hockey East for a campus facility plan by February 2016. There could be a new facility with 5,000 seats. UConn also has hired architects for a feasibility study. One possibility is a major renovation of Gampel Pavilion to put in a rink and luxury seats, etc. That's all in the exploratory stage......."
And what happens when we half-ass adding seats to the present lawn shed?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

So they have to come up with a plan? Wow, big deadline. That means UConn will be playing Hockey at the Civic Center for the next 5 years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No problem with the guy. A football/hockey guy from the B1G is precisely what the school needs right now--esp. a Michigan guy.

Not sure how much he knows about bball, but his reluctance to buy fully into Ollie is the only thing that counts against him right now. It might've cost the program XRM.

On the contrary. He handled the Calhoun/Ollie transition as best as anyone else could have or could have expected him to handle it.

Reaction Score
On the contrary. He handled the Calhoun/Ollie transition as best as anyone else could have or could have expected him to handle it.

Handled it horribly. One of the worst half-arsed jobs I've seen from an AD in a longtime, announcing t the world that he had doubts about the coach because his feelings were hurt. How dumb. But that's so far in the past now. It doesn't matter anymore. Still, it doesn't give you a whole lot of confidence about his abilities. Many of us have probably been in similar positions (where a decision is forced down your throat) and handled it better.

Reaction Score
I was a big pro-Manuel guy early on but over time I've come to view him as an unmitigated disaster. Even when he does something good he manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It would be great if Michigan needed an Associate AD for Something or other and they gave him the job.

Reaction Score
In my view we have a President and Athletic Director who want to turn UConn into Michigan Monday through Friday and Harvard on the weekends.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I was a big pro-Manuel guy early on but over time I've come to view him as an unmitigated disaster. Even when he does something good he manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It would be great if Michigan needed an Associate AD for Something or other and they gave him the job.

Funny, I feel just the opposite. Was down on him early, but I am starting to come around.

Thought he completely mishandled the JC/KO transition, was ineffective in CR, and showed no leadership in the FB program both with respect to the coaching staff and the gameday experience.

He lucked out that KO's performance gave him an early mulligan, pushed GDL aside, increased the marketing presence for FB ticket sales (we'll see how many), fortified the OOC schedule, kept Michigan at the Rent, and hired a good hockey coach. The man has a few skills, we'll see if he gets it done, but the signs of life are there.

Reaction Score
Plenty of FFLD County Fans, especially Norwalk East. The fan base still isn't nearly as concentrated or rabid as upper/middle of the state, you're not going to have your goofy dads in stone washed jeans sporting Husky sweatshirts as they walk through the mall. Osmosis by proximity. You have a nice base of younger Husky fans that migrate down to Stamford post graduation for work. I still think smart marketing targets FFLD Country - biggest factor is that there is competition, middle of the state has nothing really. Market share to be had. Let that trickle into NYC with all the commuters.

After my last experience on a summer Hartford Saturday night, I see absolutely zero need to every go back there - it's an in and out at best. No draw to hang out. City is descending rapidly as a social go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom