AD David Benedict: UConn 'in a very good situation' as college conference realignment swirls | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD David Benedict: UConn 'in a very good situation' as college conference realignment swirls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I cannot believe that the Big 12 is done just because Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. For the past several years the top teams in the Big 12 have not been Oklahoma and Texas. On balance TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and a couple others have had great success, and in some years better success than Texas and Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has won the last 6 Big 12 championships. They have lost a total of 6 conference games since 2015.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma has won the last 6 Big 12 championships. They have lost a total of 6 conference games since 2015.
Quantitatively, this @Mathman makes a solid point indisputable by facts. Not just the last 6 Big 12 championships, 8 of the last 10 and 9 of the last 11 Big 12 conference titles

As for UT, some suggest the Longhorn's challenges are associated with both 1. OU's success, and 2. A&M's SEC membership and subsequent increased in-state recruiting wins. Not so sure whether the #s support the latter views, but UT's excuses soon run out in the Lone Star state.

Reaction Score
“Yeah but who’s to say they can’t beat any of those teams you mentioned?!”

they’re 27.5 point underdogs in week 1 this year to Fresno State.

"well that line is crazy we’ve improved a bunch in our time off lifting!!”

well are you putting a wager on UConn +27.5 since you feel so strongly about it?”

So What No GIF
I would be disappointed if UConn gets the doors blown off. There is just no way with this many players and this much time off that they won't be prepared. I wouldn't expect a win, fresno usually has pretty good talent, but 27.5 seems aggressive. It's pricing uconn has an FCS team.

Reaction Score
I would be disappointed if UConn gets the doors blown off. There is just no way with this many players and this much time off that they won't be prepared. I wouldn't expect a win, fresno usually has pretty good talent, but 27.5 seems aggressive. It's pricing uconn has an FCS team.

It probably has a lot to do with the fact no one expects us to score points. 38-6 or 42-7 or even 31-3 are perfectly reasonable predictions based on where we were the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
It probably has a lot to do with the fact no one expects us to score points. 38-6 or 42-7 or even 31-3 are perfectly reasonable predictions based on where we were the last 5 years.

nahhh

If you're Deputy Dog ... sure bet the Fresno State Bulldog. But any UCONN fan worth his weight should see a full depth chart, talent and burning desire to be good. This Fresno struggling program - post Tedford - is not a worldbeater. They definitely have great talent: 3 stars in California equal to a modern day USF or Tulane or SMU. But this is absolutely a great path for Edsall. My expectations are high.

and ... the disclaimer is ... Young Team/Program in August in a heatwave Central California burn. Loses composure. I am hoping a QB leads.

Reaction Score
I feel we could build ourselves into an independent powerhouse by focusing on fundamentals, marketing, and a niche strategy. Triple option like navy or Boosie state risk taking. Get the outliers - rkgs and build an underdog program

Reaction Score
nahhh

If you're Deputy Dog ... sure bet the Fresno State Bulldog. But any UCONN fan worth his weight should see a full depth chart, talent and burning desire to be good. This Fresno struggling program - post Tedford - is not a worldbeater. They definitely have great talent: 3 stars in California equal to a modern day USF or Tulane or SMU. But this is absolutely a great path for Edsall. My expectations are high.

and ... the disclaimer is ... Young Team/Program in August in a heatwave Central California burn. Loses composure. I am hoping a QB leads.

UConn fans don’t make the line. I think we can win this game. My biggest fear is that it will take the guys a few games to be comfortable and sure of what they are doing. It is very important for them to feel certain that they know what to do.

I had a high school basketball coach that gave a great TO speech once. We had developed a lot in the off season. Kids got bigger, better and stronger. We all thought we’d be good but we were nervous and out of rhythm and got down like 14-2 in our first game. He called timeout and pulled everyone close so nobody could hear him cursing and said something like, “You know you are better, you know what to do and you are going to go out there and do what I told you to do. What the “heck” are you scared of? Now go out there and blow their F ’ing doors off”. That’s all we needed. We were up 24-14 in like 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
In 2010 the final ESPN college football ranking had TCU at #2, Oklahoma at 6, and Oklahoma State at #13. Texas was not ranked in the top 25. IIRC TCU had several first place votes that year.

2011……..Oklahoma State at #3 or #4 depending on the poll, Baylor finished at #13, TCU finished at #14, Kansas State finished at #15, and Oklahoma finished at #16. Again Texas not ranked in the top 25.

2012……K State finished #12, Oklahoma finished #15, and Texas finished #19.

2013……..Oklahoma finished #6, Baylor finished 13, Oklahoma State finished 17.

2014………Baylor and TCU finished #5 and 6# respectively, and KState finished #11. Oklahoma AND Texas were no where in the final top 25.

2015………Oklahoma finished #5, TCU finished #7, Baylor finished #13, and Oklahoma State finished #20. Again Texas finished out of the top 25.

2016……..Oklahoma finished #5, Oklahoma State finished #11, and West Virginia finished #17.

2017……….Oklahoma finished #3, and Oklahoma State finished #14. Texas again out of the Top 25.

2018……….Oklahoma finished #4, Texas finished #9, and West Virginia #20.

2019…………Oklahoma finished #7, Baylor #13, and Texas #25.

Iowa State finished #10 IIRC this past season.

My point is, yes The Big 12 will take a hit when Oklahoma leaves, but they will survive. So if you look back at the last 10 years, Texas leaving for the SEC doesn’t hurt the Big 12 like losing Oklahoma in terms of league strength, but they do lose a team with a rabid fan base.
The Big 12 will still have several big time football programs that are tough ball clubs year in and year out. Iowa State, K State, Oklahoma State, TCU, West Virginia, and Baylor. Getting UConn gives the Big 12 a real shot in the arm in men’s and women’s basketball, and a football team with a fan base that travels to many away games. Say Fresno State!!!!!’

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 2010 the final ESPN college football ranking had TCU at #2, Oklahoma at 6, and Oklahoma State at #13. Texas was not ranked in the top 25.

2011……..Oklahoma State at #3 or #4 depending on the poll, Baylor finished at #13, TCU finished at #14, Kansas State finished at #15, and Oklahoma finished at #16. Again Texas not ranked in the top 25.

2014………Baylor and TCU finished #5 and 6# respectively, and KState finished #11. Oklahoma AND Texas were no where in the final top 25.

2015………Oklahoma finished #5, TCU finished #7, Baylor finished #13, and Oklahoma State finished #20. Again Texas finished out of the top 25.

2016……..Oklahoma finished #5, Oklahoma State finished #11, and West Virginia finished #17.

2017……….Oklahoma finished #3, and Oklahoma State finished #14. Texas again out of the Top 25.

This was 3 days ago

Reaction Score
In 2010 the final ESPN college football ranking had TCU at #2, Oklahoma at 6, and Oklahoma State at #13. Texas was not ranked in the top 25. IIRC TCU had several first place votes that year.

My point is, yes The Big 12 will take a hit when Oklahoma leaves, but they will survive. So if you look back at the last 10 years, Texas leaving for the SEC doesn’t hurt the Big 12 like losing Oklahoma in terms of league strength, but they do lose a team with a rabid fan base.
The Big 12 will still have several big time football programs that are tough ball clubs year in and year out. Iowa State, K State, Oklahoma State, TCU, West Virginia, and Baylor. Getting UConn gives the Big 12 a real shot in the arm in men’s and women’s basketball, and a football team with a fan base that travels to many away games. Say Fresno State!!!!!’
Without OU and Texas the recruiting at the other schools is sure to suffer. Also, what if the PAC 12 comes calling? If that happens the Big 12 is done!

Reaction Score
Without OU and Texas the recruiting at the other schools is sure to suffer. Also, what if the PAC 12 comes calling? If that happens the Big 12 is done!
I don’t buy that, that’s like saying if Alabama and Auburn left the SEC that recruiting would surely suffer in the SEC. Where losing Texas and Oklahoma hurts the Big 12 is in the financial loss to all the other schools. They could limp along for a few years because the Big 12 would still be a kickass basketball conference, and would still be competitive in football, and that’s where inviting UConn might be a bandaid. Also getting UConn might help in recruiting in all sports outside of the Midwest. I think they might invite UConn and Kentucky or Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t buy that, that’s like saying if Alabama and Auburn left the SEC that recruiting would surely suffer in the SEC. Where losing Texas and Oklahoma hurts the Big 12 is in the financial loss to all the other schools. They could limp along for a few years because the Big 12 would still be a kickass basketball conference, and would still be competitive in football, and that’s where inviting UConn might be a bandaid. Also getting UConn might help in recruiting in all sports outside of the Midwest. I think they might invite UConn and Kentucky or Tennessee.

Put the pipe down. Now. For everyone’s sake.

Reaction Score
Except there are no LSUs, Floridas, or Georgias in the Little Eight being left behind. Not a good comparison.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The difference of course if Bama and Auburn left the SEC you still have Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and Tennessee as top level programs for funding and fans.

Texas and OU leave the Big12 and the next tier is Baylor, WVU, Iowa St. Bit of difference there, doncha think?

Reaction Score
Kentucky and Tennessee would leave the SEC for the Big 12 why? They prefer less money over more money?
If it means not getting beat up in the SEC in football for the next 100 years, yes. Having Tennessee and UConn in the same conference playing men’s and women’s basketball would be almost worth it. If it’s Kentucky, with it’s tradition in basketball, ticket sales and recruiting would benefit both men’s and women’s programs throughout the Big 12. Baylor, UConn, Kentucky or Tennessee, Kansas, Iowa State, K State, and Oklahoma State, would transform the Big 12 conference that would rival the old Big East conference. It’s a long shot of course, but it does save the Big 12 IMHO.

Reaction Score
Except there are no LSUs, Floridas, or Georgias in the Little Eight being left behind. Not a good comparison.
Look at their records vs all Big 12 schools going back 10 years or so.

Reaction Score
The difference of course if Bama and Auburn left the SEC you still have Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and Tennessee as top level programs for funding and fans.

Texas and OU leave the Big12 and the next tier is Baylor, WVU, Iowa St. Bit of difference there, doncha think?
No I don’t think it’s a big difference. Don’t forget TCU, KState and Oklahoma State. TCU still claims they got the shaft a few years back, in the final poll. As I said to the other poster, look at the won lost record going back 10 years or so vs the remaining SEC schools vs the Big 12, if Bama and Auburn ever left. I did say it’s a long shot but it does save the Big 12, across all sports. I will say that if this ever happened, UConn would have to be very careful in accepting an invite. I think Benedict would only do it if he knew who the other invitee would be. If it was Tennessee or Kentucky, I think he would recommend it to the BOT in a heartbeat. If not, they might sit and wait on our independent football program and hope Edsall can have some success on the field.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No I don’t think it’s a big difference. Don’t forget TCU, KState and Oklahoma State. TCU still claims they got the shaft a few years back, in the final poll. As I said to the other poster, look at the won lost record going back 10 years or so vs the remaining SEC schools vs the Big 12, if Bama and Auburn ever left. I did say it’s a long shot but it does save the Big 12, across all sports. I will say that if this ever happened, UConn would have to be very careful in accepting an invite. I think Benedict would only do it if he knew who the other invitee would be. If it was Tennessee or Kentucky, I think he would recommend it to the BOT in a heartbeat. If not, they might sit and wait on our independent football program and hope Edsall can have some success on the field.
You could have just stopped at "No I don't think".

Reaction Score
Look at their records vs all Big 12 schools going back 10 years or so.
That’s a good point, but there’s a big difference in marketability between LSU and OSU. You make a good point, they can hang on the field, but the demise of the Big 12 will come down to a lack of marketability.

Reaction Score
The commissioner of the B12 is being publicly quoted as saying that with the departure of Texas & Oklahoma the TV contract will likely be cut in half yet there are some here trying to justify value in the remnants.

Only on the Boneyard

Reaction Score
Don’t pick on him. He’ll learn. It is a rude awakening for newbies here. I learned a lot when I arrived at the Boneyard 20 years ago. I had no idea there were fans that knew as much or more than I did when I arrived. He’ll read and learn.

Reaction Score
The commissioner of the B12 is being publicly quoted as saying that with the departure of Texas & Oklahoma the TV contract will likely be cut in half yet there are some here trying to justify value in the remnants.

Only on the Boneyard

At half their current value the Big 12 would still be making more than twice as much as the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom