AD Dave Benedict on WFSB(3) Face the State - Sunday 8/6/17 @ 11a | The Boneyard

AD Dave Benedict on WFSB(3) Face the State - Sunday 8/6/17 @ 11a

Reaction Score
Nothing earth shattering - AD Dave being Dave.

Talked about the Edsall hire (after talking w/ wide range of folks described RE as a "better version of himself", trending excitment for season w/ new OC/DC, talks about need to be creative w/ branding, finances and increasing revenues to be able to support all UConn sports (talked about Fenway game - which will generate more revenue then they would if game was @ Rent and the Clemson "guarantee" game decision as examples) and mentioned the Rentschler Game Day improvements (Tailgate Guys).

*Edit* Segment is now available here: Face the State

Reaction Score
Surprised he didn't talk new baseball, soccer, softball facilities.

Not necessarily the FIT to help fund them, but to at least mention it's happening.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When I think back and compare this guy to Warde, or perhaps more drastically, to Hathaway, it is night and day to me. He just seems to get it. To this point, he has made all the right moves and has increased both revenue and interest in UConn sports. His tenure is still "early days", but he's undoubtedly the best we've had since Perkins...

Reaction Score
When I think back and compare this guy to Warde, or perhaps more drastically, to Hathaway, it is night and day to me. He just seems to get it. To this point, he has made all the right moves and has increased both revenue and interest in UConn sports. His tenure is still "early days", but he's undoubtedly the best we've had since Perkins...
You can't even compare Hathaway and Manuel never mind trying too compare him to Benedict! Hathaway was about as inept as you can get! His coaches won inspite of him. If you needed any examples of that look no farther than what Edsall said about support during his hiring press conference.....

Reaction Score
Sounds like the NEED to generate revenue is going to cause many football games to be sold off like Clemson and BC. Looks like the future schedule will consist of single away games against P5 schools for payouts and/or 1-1 where our home game is NOT at the Rent.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch. If he reads the BY was their any mention of the MBB program and the meltdown on that board here?

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch. If he reads the BY was their any mention of the MBB program and the meltdown on that board here?

No. He really only talked about football, but touched upon the most debated UCONN football threads here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like the NEED to generate revenue is going to cause many football games to be sold off like Clemson and BC. Looks like the future schedule will consist of single away games against P5 schools for payouts and/or 1-1 where our home game is NOT at the Rent.

I don't mind if "big" games against P5 aren't always at the Rent. Build a regional brand. One game a year at Fenway, Yankees stadium, Meadowlands or Foxboro is fine. Make UConn a regional brand.

Reaction Score
I don't mind if "big" games against P5 aren't always at the Rent. Build a regional brand. One game a year at Fenway, Yankees stadium, Meadowlands or Foxboro is fine. Make UConn a regional brand.
You know, I kinda agree. I hated the Fenway thing for a long time. I am warming to it now with the assumption that UConn will have a chance to win. If the Huskies are awful again, then not so much.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm ok with it if it's against top tier P5 teams. I will not be ok with it if it's against teams like Syracuse or Rutgers. I'm not too thrilled about doing it with BC this year either but I can't deny the price was right to accept it.

If they want to grow the season ticket base you need to start winning and have OOC games people want to come and see. No one is buying season tix to watch AAC games, a FCS opponent, and a MAC school. They will need to add lower tier P5 schools, preferably regional ones, to fill some spots on future schedules.

Reaction Score
That's because he spent time at Auburn and if not mistaken Minnesota instead of Buffalo and where ever Hathaway came from. If you want to play with the big boys you need to hire some folks who know what that game is all about. Warde came from Buffalo and had one foot out the door the day he showed up. Hathaway just never had a clue.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm ok with it if it's against top tier P5 teams. I will not be ok with it if it's against teams like Syracuse or Rutgers. I'm not too thrilled about doing it with BC this year either but I can't deny the price was right to accept it.

If they want to grow the season ticket base you need to start winning and have OOC games people want to come and see. No one is buying season tix to watch AAC games, a FCS opponent, and a MAC school. They will need to add lower tier P5 schools, preferably regional ones, to fill some spots on future schedules.

Syracuse or Rutty every year Yank's stadium?

That could quickly develop in to a showcase game for the fanbases and region.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
anyone else have trouble with the link stopping at 20 seconds?

Reaction Score
anyone else have trouble with the link stopping at 20 seconds?

Just checked above link - no issues through 5 minutes (didn't watch whole interview again)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Syracuse or Rutty every year Yank's stadium?

That could quickly develop in to a showcase game for the fanbases and region.
Eh....I just fear doing these types of games against lower tier P5 programs is going to decimate our OOC schedule at the Rent. I don't care if these games are considered home or not, they aren't part of a season ticket package and aren't making it any more attrractable for casual fans to want to buy season tix.

I don't expect the Michigans of the world to be coming to the Rent anymore but I don't see why we need to play RU or Syracuse at a neutral site.

Reaction Score
My favorite part was when the announcer asked if we could compare UConn with other schools. He continued to say UConn put a lot of money into athletics and academics in the hopes that we could compare well with a Michigan. Benedict responded that he would let Susan Herbst talk about the academics but athletically he said UConn was a nationally recognized brand and in the top 25 schools. He then stated that "UConn has won National Championships in multiple sports over the last decade. Michigan can't say that"...I love the dig!!!

Reaction Score
That's because he spent time at Auburn and if not mistaken Minnesota instead of Buffalo and where ever Hathaway came from. If you want to play with the big boys you need to hire some folks who know what that game is all about. Warde came from Buffalo and had one foot out the door the day he showed up. Hathaway just never had a clue.

Warde was at Georgia Tech and Michigan from 1993-2005, 12 years. And then at Buffalo for 7 years.

I'm writing that as someone who was not a fan of Warde's.

But he definitely had experience for 6 years as Michigan's second in command.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'd like to see more series scheduled with premier programs, even if it's a 2-for-1 (2 games away, 1 at home) or we have to play at neutral sites in destinations like Fenway, Yankee Stadium, the Meadowlands, etc... if we could get a couple real elite programs regularly, I think it would be win for UConn. I'd take a 2-for-1 with Florida, USC, Ohio State, etc if it meant we got to regularly play these national powers. We can throw in a mens&women's hoops series with it if they want!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Getting quality P5 games at the Rent is an important part of building the program but we need to temper those expectations. Michigan came a a favor to Wards for helping them open the new Big House. I have no idea why Missou is coming, maybe it was a quirk in their schedule back when we were winning the BE.

Mid and lower tier ACC and B1G squads are the most likely to visit EH. Any bigger name is a coup.

Reaction Score
My takeaway: AD David Benedict definitely reads the Boneyard.
whether he reads it or has someone on his staff provide him with the valuable insights, wouldn't it be surprising or more newsworthy if he didn't?
The guy is paid to lead Uconn Athletics. The Boneyard is a podium for uconn fans to share their views on uconn athletics.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Getting quality P5 games at the Rent is an important part of building the program but we need to temper those expectations. Michigan came a a favor to Wards for helping them open the new Big House. I have no idea why Missou is coming, maybe it was a quirk in their schedule back when we were winning the BE.

Mid and lower tier ACC and B1G squads are the most likely to visit EH. Any bigger name is a coup.

I believe Tennessee owes us a game, don't they?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom