Actually On Topic: Ever been reading a book, and up comes a reference to UConn WBCC? | The Boneyard

Actually On Topic: Ever been reading a book, and up comes a reference to UConn WBCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not long ago, I was reading a book I'd meant to read years ago and never had gotten to: Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True." Wonderful book, by the way. So I was getting toward the end, as things are looking up for the main character, and what does his true love want him to do with his leisure time? Go to a UConn WCBB game. He dismisses it as minor-league until he gets there and sees (this in the era of Lobo and Rizzotti) how much fun it is. He and the family become dedicated fans.

Well, that much I know is true.

Anyway, I wonder whether WCBB is enough of an institution that it becomes a reference in another novel. Maybe it's just because this book is very, very Connecticut, but still......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I remember they've been mentioned on TV shows before. A couple of time anyway. Can't remember what shows though, sorry.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn is everywhere..... (Mort Walker is from Kansas and went to Mizzou, btw)

i100517hinlois.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
UConn is everywhere..... (Mort Walker is from Kansas and went to Mizzou, btw)

i100517hinlois.jpg
But his studio (and many of his kids) are in Connecticut.....from the sweatshirts I'm guessing at least one (if not more) went to UConn

Reaction Score
I remember they've been mentioned on TV shows before. A couple of time anyway. Can't remember what shows though, sorry.
A very long time ago, Rebecca from Cheers mentioned that she had been a very popular party girl while attending the University of Connecticut; to which either Norm or Cliff replied (paraphrasing here) "Oh yeah, that school widely known as the insurance salesmen..." I wish I remembered the exact quote as I am not doing it justice, but it was funny!

Of course, I already knew it as UCONN and as the Huskies but most of the country didn't. Now, thanks in part to its basketball programs, that has changed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Back s
A very long time ago, Rebecca from Cheers mentioned that she had been a very popular party girl while attending the University of Connecticut; to which either Norm or Cliff replied (paraphrasing here) "Oh yeah, that school widely known as the insurance salesmen..." I wish I remembered the exact quote as I am not doing it justice, but it was funny!

Of course, I already knew it as UCONN and as the Huskies but most of the country didn't. Now, thanks in part to its basketball programs, that has changed.
Back seat Becky Actually The Last Angry Mailman, but I haven't found the full quote

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
On the nonfiction side of things, I was reading a book called Sports in American Life (by Richard Davies) and was pleased to note that the author devoted 5 pages of the 385 total to WCBB told through the UConn-UTenn rivalry. The book spans the many centuries history of sports in America from earliest times, so that's a pretty hefty chunk devoted to UConn women's contributions. Now here on the BY we might say of course, how could you not discuss the history of sports in America without featuring the UConn women, but I have read a number of books on general American sports history and the total number of words devoted to the Huskies could be counted one hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom