According to UConn... | The Boneyard

According to UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I have been trying to secure certain documents from UConn via Freedom of Information Act requests. According to the university the following documents do not exists:
  • any document that establishes the university as a member of the American Athletic Conference;
  • any document or record that grants the university's television rights to the AAC, ESPN or any affiliated company;
  • any document or record that discusses the potential admission of ECU or Tulsa to the AAC.
What say you UConn nation...is the university currently unbound to the AAC? Or am I getting the run-around?

Reaction Score
Likely they are telling you that you are asking the worng person and that any official document on those matters are the property of the conference. Did you asdk for any communications that speak to theose matters or did you ask for the "documents"?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Likely they are telling you that you are asking the worng person and that any official document on those matters are the property of the conference. Did you asdk for any communications that speak to theose matters or did you ask for the "documents"?

Regarding the conference affiliation and television rights deals: I asked for the actual documents. Quite frankly I wasn't so interested in their discussion, just the exact relationship of the university to its conference and their television partners. How can a contract, if it exists, be property of only one party? And how can a public university contract without it being a public record?

Regarding ECU and Tulsa: I asked for any communication (e-mails, due diligence, meetings) pre-dating their admission to the conference.

Reaction Score
What's the point? We're playing in the AAC and that's the facts as of 8/14/13. Why this constant sour grapes mentality? UConn football needs a few years to grow anyways so why not do it in a league they can compete in, go to bowl games in and build re pore with non conference schools in? Going to the B1G now you can pencil in at least 5 guaranteed losses so your margin to make it to a bowl is pretty slim going in. 10-2 in the American looks better perception wise than 6-6 in the B1G. Just give it some time, there will be fun games to watch in the new league and 3 years from now who knows.... you might even see a completely different conference re-alignment shakeup that could motivate schools to form a new & improved north east football conference.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
What's the point? We're playing in the AAC and that's the facts as of 8/14/13. Why this constant sour grapes mentality? UConn football needs a few years to grow anyways so why not do it in a league they can compete in, go to bowl games in and build re pore with non conference schools in? Going to the B1G now you can pencil in at least 5 guaranteed losses so your margin to make it to a bowl is pretty slim going in. 10-2 in the American looks better perception wise than 6-6 in the B1G. Just give it some time, there will be fun games to watch in the new league and 3 years from now who knows.... you might even see a completely different conference re-alignment shakeup that could motivate schools to form a new & improved north east football conference.

How is being an active citizen and utilizing the tools available to me sour grapes? I happen to think that the current arrangement with the AAC dramatically undervalues our university by limiting our compensation to that received by schools like Tulsa and ECU. But I am withholding my judgment as to whether our administration was outmaneuvered, incompetent, or did an acceptable job given the circumstances until I can get a look at the documents that are public records. And further, as an alumnus my marketability is directly tied to the perception of the university so I want to see how that perception is being managed.

If you think public administrators will do good, altruistic work without public scrutiny then I admire your faith. I choose to shine a light on the process and scrutinize it. Not for sour grapes, but for accountability.

Reaction Score
How is being an active citizen and utilizing the tools available to me sour grapes? I happen to think that the current arrangement with the AAC dramatically undervalues our university by limiting our compensation to that received by schools like Tulsa and ECU. But I am withholding my judgment as to whether our administration was outmaneuvered, incompetent, or did an acceptable job given the circumstances until I can get a look at the documents that are public records. And further, as an alumnus my marketability is directly tied to the perception of the university so I want to see how that perception is being managed.

If you think public administrators will do good, altruistic work without public scrutiny then I admire your faith. I choose to shine a light on the process and scrutinize it. Not for sour grapes, but for accountability.

Good idea. Keep at it, maybe there is a person at UConn or at state government who can help with the crafting of your request. Can UConn be a part of AAC and there be no signed documents, hardly.

Reaction Score
Is "American Athletic Conference" the legal name of the conference or simply a consumer marketing monikor? Freedom of Information requests are often times an exercise in legaleeze and technicalities. You might want to try something with the wording of all "documents and communications establishing the University of Connecticut to membership in any and all athletic conferences over the past 12 months." You'll end up with some Hockey East stuff as well, but that should cover the AAC.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Is "American Athletic Conference" the legal name of the conference or simply a consumer marketing monikor? Freedom of Information requests are often times an exercise in legaleeze and technicalities. You might want to try something with the wording of all "documents and communications establishing the University of Connecticut to membership in any and all athletic conferences over the past 12 months." You'll end up with some Hockey East stuff as well, but that should cover the AAC.

Great thought. I am going to update the request tonight and make it significantly broader.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Right, and maybe a lot of that stuff is filed under "Big East Conference". Who knows if they technically even changed the name yet, maybe they are still legally recognized as Big East d/b/a American Athletic. And the new big east is "D-bags" d/b/a Big East.

Reaction Score
Great call WHH... and if you haven't. please ask for things like emails, travel receipts, meeting agendas addressing athletic conference affiliation, etc. Be as precise and comprehensive as possbile. I have a little experience with this stuff.. the more narrow the request the better

Reaction Score
Wow, there's a lot of fancy words being thrown around on this here thread! I feel smarter by just reading it. In all seriousness, nice job WestHartHusk! Keep it up, I think the entire Yard will be interested in what you find under these rocks your turning over. I think we all know we're not going to get any effort like this from Dez or Jacobs......

Reaction Score
Laud the effort, but I also doubt that it will make any difference. (Unless, due to a typo, the agreement says ACC, not AAC.)

Reaction Score
I mentioned this through our email correspondence but some tips for anyone that has a records request in the future:

* As someone in this thread already said, it's good to cite the authority that gives you a right to the records request (even though it's not mandatory by most state statutes, it's still good practice). Technically, a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request only pertains to federal records requests. Each state has its own statutes and open records laws, so citing FOIA is not a proper request.

* Be as specific as possible with your request. I saw someone say you should be more broad; that's actually not a good idea as most states can deny "overly broad" requests. You need to be as specific as possible. It's good to give the name of the document(s) you're looking for, if at all possible.

* If you strike out on the first try, try to find out if there was an issue with being too broad or if there's any way that the records attendant can help you make a better request. Sometimes state officials are obligated to help make a legal request if one does not comply, so don't necessarily take 'nothing found' as an answer.

* Document all conversations you have with anyone involved in the request. If your request is specific and not fulfilled, they can be subject to litigation if the record(s) you seek are not disclosed. Having all your conversations documented can be advantageous to both showing what you sought was not excepted by law and that it was not fulfilled in a timely manner prescribed by law.

You'll also need to be aware of any exemptions. Most state records are subject to request as long as they are not related to personal education or health records, sensitive business negotiations or otherwise classified. Each state has its own list of exemptions, some more broad than others. Generally, though, most state university documents are going to be bound by open records laws. As they relate to athletics, usually conference bylaws or charters are most of the athletics documents. Conference television agreements rarely have schools as parties to the agreement, unless a Grant of Rights Agreement is attached. Even then, the agreement itself is typically only executed between the league and the television partners.

Reaction Score
I think the reason you are not finding anything is that technically UCONN, Cinn & USF did not join a new conference therefore there would be no new contract or any reference to a new conference.

According to the AAC website it says the conference has been in existence since 1979 and previously operated under the Big East name. Since the AAC is saying it is not a new conference there would be no reason for existing members to have to join

Reaction Score
This is very interesting. Maybe Aresco is not so bad, after all.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think the reason you are not finding anything is that technically UCONN, Cinn & USF did not join a new conference therefore there would be no new contract or any reference to a new conference.

According to the AAC website it says the conference has been in existence since 1979 and previously operated under the Big East name. Since the AAC is saying it is not a new conference there would be no reason for existing members to have to join

^ that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is very interesting. Maybe Aresco is not so bad, after all.
How so Butch?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was thinking we wouldn't be under the terms of the AAC-ESPN television contract.
Based on what? Sorry if I'm a step slow on this...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
try searching under 'huskyfandan' and 'the boneyard.' surely the administration has numerous documents citing both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom