ACC vs Big 10 | The Boneyard

ACC vs Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming we were being considered which is the better fit? Not sure which I'd prefer.

Reaction Score
We'd be the new guy wherever we are. See how well PSU fits after 20+ years. See how BCU fits... ok, bad example... see how Miami fits, ok, another bad example. VT?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
From an athletics perspective, sticking with northeastern mates SU, Pitt, BC and possibly RU makes sense, and we'd be in the best bball league and be competitive in football in the ACC.

But overall, if UConn can get in the B1G it benefits us as an institution much more. It's better academically and those schools are what we want as our peer institutions in academics and research. Michigan, Wisconsin, and on down the line are top notch state schools. Sure, UNC and Maryland fit that bill, but Miami, Wake, BC, Clemson... not so much.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Neither is a perfect fit. If we are going to move and have a choice, I'd prefere the B1G as we'd be moving to a stable, financially secure, conference. It's football reputation would help us over the long term. We don't need the help in basketball. Being a member to the CIC will help get us research money so it will also help us academically.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Neither is a perfect fit. If we are going to move and have a choice, I'd prefere the B1G as we'd be moving to a stable, financially secure, conference. It's football reputation would help us over the long term. We don't need the help in basketball. Being a member to the CIC will help get us research money so it also help us academically.

Academically, yes, the Big10 is best. Athletically, the ACC is a better fit imo. Geography and basketball speak for themselves.

I think we might become the 'little sisters of the poor' of the Big10. We'd have a chance to compete in the ACC, which helps a fledgling program like UConn's. I guess there's a lot of opposing factors to consider there.

Reaction Score
Academically, yes, the Big10 is best. Athletically, the ACC is a better fit imo. Geography and basketball speak for themselves.

I think we might become the 'little sisters of the poor' of the Big10. We'd have a chance to compete in the ACC, which helps a fledgling program like UConn's. I guess there's a lot of opposing factors to consider there.
Duke, NC, Wake, BC, G Tech, VA, MD are > Wisc, Mich Oh State, Mich State by far. Why does everybody say B10, academically, is superior. It's ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Longer term, never black or white, but IMO, the B1G benefits us more.

Reaction Score
Duke, NC, Wake, BC, G Tech, VA, MD are > Wisc, Mich Oh State, Mich State by far. Why does everybody say B10, academically, is superior. It's ludicrous.

I'd go Big10 every time. I see it as much better academically. You're talking about the countries academic and research powerhouses. Schools such as BC, Wake, are overvalued in these measures. Plus, you left out Northwestern, Penn State, Illinois. Combined with Michigan and Wisconsin (and to a lesser extent Minnesota which is a really good school) and the ACC does not match up. That's 6 top schools to the ACCs four (Duke, NC, UVa and GT). besides, the only tangible benefit for an incoming school is the CIC. BC gains nothing academically from the ACC.

Reaction Score
There is zero cultural fit for Uconn in the Big Ten - absolutely none if you ask me. The geographical point is just silly. Let's not split hairs on the academics - these moves are not really being made for that point. ACC is 100% the better fit - it's a basketball centric league, we ARE on the Atlantic Coast. The demographic of schools is more similar. We'll never be a 65K enrollment state school. We will have natural rivalries in the ACC. I can embrace the ACC - the Big Ten, other than dollars/football potential, would just leave me confused. The conference is just so heavy football first. Connecticut is about as far from a Midwest type state as it gets. I just think there is absolutely zero chance the Big Ten looks at Uconn.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why does everybody say B10, academically, is superior. It's ludicrous.
"Being a member to the CIC will help get us research money so it also will help us academically."

Reaction Score
The amount of money in the B10 is just outrageous. If UConn gets that offer, they take it as quickly as possible and does not think twice.

Reaction Score

Pretty close, both have a number of good schools. For B10 you forgot NWestern and IU, which are very good to not great institutions.

I prefer the ACC. Makes more sense overall with type of school UConn is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Pretty close, both have a number of good schools. For B10 you forgot NWestern and IU, which are very good to not great institutions.

I prefer the ACC. Makes more sense overall with type of school UConn is.
I think that UConn has more in common with the Big Ten schools being a land grant college in its origins. It fits well academically with the structure and approach of those schools.

Reaction Score
I would prefer the Big 10 by a wide margin. We would be the dominate BB school in the conference and would be able to compete in a much better football conference than the ACC. If we are stuck in the ACC, I will vomit often, given that the decision making for that conference will always be influenced by UNC and Duke. I think the idea of joining the ACC is more attractive than actually becoming a member. I do not expect good things for us in the future if that is where we end up. I especially would never respect it as a conference (even if we are in it) until 1) they change the name to anything else but ACC and 2) Swofford is fired and/or replaced. I absolutely despise than man....the only reason they have anything of value, besides UNC and Duke basketball, is because they stole it from the Big East. That is something I will never be able to forget or forgive them for...

Reaction Score
Geographically, the ACC is a better move. But I would take the B10 in a heartbeat. More money, better fit being a large state school. We will be a top 4 BB team every year in the B10. Recruiting would pick up big time in Football. Women would continue to dominate. UConn lax would benefit the most (only kidding).

Reaction Score
Doubt we would lose in the Big 10. Would get kind of boring after a year or two...

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
We bring much more to the table for the Big 1? to grab us vs the ACC. They have 0 presence in the Northeast while the ACC now has BCU, Syracuse and to a lesser extent Pitt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Although I would greatly prefer the prestige (on all levels) of B1G membership my preference was leaning in favor of the ACC until I made the mistake of viewing the Duke ande UNC boards. I had completely forgotten how douchey those fan bases are (and the sad thing is that they are two of the better fan bases in that giant of a conference). I now want the B1G as our utlimate destination.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Although I would greatly prefer the prestige (on all levels) of B1G membership my preference was leaning in favor of the ACC until I made the mistake of viewing the Duke ande UNC boards. I had completely forgotten how douchey those fan bases are (and the sad thing is that they are two of the better fan bases in that giant of a conference). I now want the B1G as our utlimate destination.

What kind of douchbagery are we talking about? I'm not one to visit other boards.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
What kind of douchbagery are we talking about? I'm not one to visit other boards.
Comments like this (paraphrasing):

"The best part of adding Pitt & Cuse is that UConn gets screwed"
"No way we add UConn. Their program is too dirty"

Garbage like that, repeated again and again.

Reaction Score
Take a pill. Administration and coaches of UNC and Duke like us. Some fans don't like us because we're really good in BB and have 3 NT's when those some fans think it is a right that they win them. I've had no more problems with Duke fans and UNC fans than Syracuse or Pitt. If you're loved you're probably a loser.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not worried. I just have little tolerance for some of their antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom