ACC/SEC Challenge Week: Pick 'Em | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC/SEC Challenge Week: Pick 'Em

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The end of this Louisville-Ole Miss game is atrocious. Both teams very much deserve to lose.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Louisville won. Really really really unimpressed by both teams. Terrible execution, bad shooting, Ole Miss couldn't hit a FT to save their lives. Missed 7 straight to start Q4.

Reaction Score
Good win for Notre Dame. Anything they can get with both Citron and Miles out is gravy. For the first time, Hidalgo didn’t look great but still finished with a nice line. ND might have something going with the jumbo lineup although I’m not sold on Kylee Watson. Marshall looked great, she gives them some athleticism, height, and speed they otherwise lack in the post.

Reaction Score
Nat Marshall -- finally -- has her legs under her, after all those injuries and rehab. For someone 6'5" she's quick and not only runs the floor well on the break, but can get out to challenge shooters at the arc without running into the stands. ;)

The other reason it worked having Nat at the 4 is Maddy Westbeld can play the 4, 5 and and the 3.
When Maddy is on she can play the 1 2 and 345. But she needs to get mad to play her game.

Reaction Score
That sounds awfully familiar. Didn't Tennessee collapse and give up a big lead against Notre Dame a few years ago?
Yes in 2018 ND came back from 23 at South Bend. Then went on to win a National Championship. Hope this is a good omen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe you're also thinking of their loss last year to Ohio State, where they led by double digits in the first half before being run off the court in 2H.
I do enjoy a Tennessee melt down, whoever it comes against. I was definitely thinking of a game against the Domers, just the passage of time kind of surprised me. I didn't remember the specifics of the players who were on the teams at the time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
When Maddy is on she can play the 1 2 and 345. But she needs to get mad to play her game.
I'm about as big a fan of the Westbeld sisters as the Mabreys (I, am, after all living in New Jersey),
but Maddy's effectiveness as a three-level scorer is primarily, in my opinion, at the front line spots. Can she spot up from deep like a 2? Yes. Can she help bring up the ball against the press or on the break? Yes. But that doesn't make her a guard. Well-rounded? Yup. One of the best.....forwards. ;)

BTW, KK Bransford also has a baller's bag of skills at multiple positions (1-2-3), which is really helpful given Soni Citron-- the ND queen of diversified skill sets -- is still out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Miami-Miss State game was interesting to watch. Miami's bench scored over 30 points, primarily thanks to Hylton and Lattimore. Day-Wilson was more disciplined than I've seen in a while which was good to see. Lattimore looked more like the player some thought she had the potential to be coming out of high school. Will be watching to see how she handles tougher competition in the paint during the season.

Park-Lane definitely looks like she can handle SEC play. Miss State's lack of depth hurt them towards the end. Not having Carter available hurt. Playing with a bench of 7 players (I think) when Miami could consistently rotate players through wore them down in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I watched the Miami-Miss State game. Impressed with Miami's team in how they moved the ball on offense. Very impressed with their ball movement. Also, multiple guards who were able to penetrate and find the open 3-point shooter. Lastly, Miami hit some big 3's. Miami is a dangerous team.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I watched the Miami-Miss State game. Impressed with Miami's team in how they moved the ball on offense. Very impressed with their ball movement. Also, multiple guards who were able to penetrate and find the open 3-point shooter. Lastly, Miami hit some big 3's. Miami is a dangerous team.
Katie Meyer is a good coach; she definitely knows how to coach defense.

Reaction Score
The Miami-Miss State game was interesting to watch. Miami's bench scored over 30 points, primarily thanks to Hylton and Lattimore. Day-Wilson was more disciplined than I've seen in a while which was good to see. Lattimore looked more like the player some thought she had the potential to be coming out of high school. Will be watching to see how she handles tougher competition in the paint during the season.

Park-Lane definitely looks like she can handle SEC play. Miss State's lack of depth hurt them towards the end. Not having Carter available hurt. Playing with a bench of 7 players (I think) when Miami could consistently rotate players through wore them down in my opinion.
I’m hesitant to respond as I do congratulate Miami and don’t want to “well if…” but I guess I’m going to do that anyway. The backup five/four R Parker is out for the season with an ACL. Starting five J Carter and starting four E Barnum were out with a concussion and ankle sprain respectfully. Freshman post Q Montague was out with the flu. You are correct there were only seven players available last night, all guards accept N Gony who is 6-4 but more of a swing 3/4. MSU was up three at half and it was tied going into the fourth quarter when Miami outscored MSU 24-18 to win. I was really hoping MSU could hang on but Miami hit back to back threes about halfway through the quarter to go up five and it stayed around there until the end.
Substantively L Lattimore, S Day-Wilson, L Hylton, and L Spearman all came off the bench and had outstanding games. Specifically L Spearman had 15 rebounds to include seven on the offensive glass. Miami had 45 bench points.

Reaction Score
I’m hesitant to respond as I do congratulate Miami and don’t want to “well if…” but I guess I’m going to do that anyway. The backup five/four R Parker is out for the season with an ACL. Starting five J Carter and starting four E Barnum were out with a concussion and ankle sprain respectfully. Freshman post Q Montague was out with the flu. You are correct there were only seven players available last night, all guards accept N Gony who is 6-4 but more of a swing 3/4. MSU was up three at half and it was tied going into the fourth quarter when Miami outscored MSU 24-18 to win. I was really hoping MSU could hang on but Miami hit back to back threes about halfway through the quarter to go up five and it stayed around there until the end.
Substantively L Lattimore, S Day-Wilson, L Hylton, and L Spearman all came off the bench and had outstanding games. Specifically L Spearman had 15 rebounds to include seven on the offensive glass. Miami had 45 bench points.

Those caveats are fair from my viewpoint. Carter is a seasoned player who could have been a good challenge for Spearman and Lattimore. Having her alone could have made this a different game altogether.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger sank a buzzer beating long 3 to give Arkansas the lead over Florida State at the half, 28-26.
She has 12 rebounds at the half.

Edit She now has a double double...

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Arkansas wins over Florida State, 71-58. Saylor had 13 points (4 3s) and 23 rebounds, setting a Razorback's record.
Of course in the ESPN post game interview Pam Ward had to ask her why she left UConn.

Reaction Score
Bc loses to KY
A couple of years ago things seemed to be turning a corner for Eagles. They definitely have now — into a nosedive.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, well South Carolina isn't indestructible. Pushed hard by a North Carolina team that has been struggling mightily all year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Okay, well South Carolina isn't indestructible. Pushed hard by a North Carolina team that has been struggling mightily all year.

They ALWAYS struggle with Big Brother... whether its in the NCAA tourney or when they used to play each other in Myrtle Beach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom