ACC/SEC Challenge Week: Pick 'Em | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC/SEC Challenge Week: Pick 'Em

Reaction Score
The coaches poll is generally awful. I do not acknowledge its existence.
I would agree but I will say coaches opinions in their own conference are better than sportswriters. When all conference players are selected, I go with coaches’ selections.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They ALWAYS struggle with Big Brother... whether its in the NCAA tourney or when they used to play each other in Myrtle Beach.
Thought Gadkeng did an admirable job against not only Cardoso, but others that Dawn threw at her.
This is one of those gams that Kennedy Todd-Williams could've been used at....

Reaction Score
You have to play the hand you have. I do agree no post is a tough draw but I believe we came of age this game. We were competitive with 7 available players. Jordan leds our scoring but was in foul trouble all game, I suspecryfrom trying to rebound against Miami’s taller lineup. I, for one, believe our team came together during this game and believe we will be a better team for the effort and teamwork we showed during this game. HAIL STATE!
Really liking what Coach Purcell is doing in building this team. There's something about his personality that makes me root for him.

Reaction Score
Thought Gadkeng did an admirable job against not only Cardoso, but others that Dawn threw at her.
This is one of those gams that Kennedy Todd-Williams could've been used at....
Gadkingb did a great job denying the high Raven to Kamilla lob. Used her body great against the slimmer Gamecocks.

This was a very physical ack alley brawl .mildly surprised the refs allowed that much contact especially after the early flare up. Felt the refs were even handed though . UNC fought hard for loose balls too.

This was the kind of game we needed for a wake-up call. Kinda like the Mizzou loss two years ago.

Reaction Score
So the ACC/SEC challenged ended in a 7-7 split
I think my predictions do too.

There were two overtime wins by the ACC. Good “tournament.” Will be interesting to add the rivalry games to this. SCar v Clempsun, FSU bvFlorida, Georgia v Tech, Kentucky v Louisville - plus a few other matchups that have/will take place.

I see you @triaddukefan

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU looked better than SCar tonight. Hard to see this SCar team winning in BR but it's early yet. Chance to get better.

LSU looked better than SCar tonight. Hard to see this SCar team winning in BR but it's early yet. Chance to get better.
Slow down a bit. You could have said the same thing about LSU after their first 5 games. South Carolina faced their first true road game with spotty officiating and not only won but overcome some strange, physical circumstances to win. I suggest that they grew up in the second half and this will make them more dangerous in the future as they will be even tougher. Remember this still a young team and each game allows them to fact things they have not encountered yet. Also, this was with Fulwilley sitting for about the entirety of the game to understand that defense is not optional on this team.

Reaction Score
I watched both SC and LSU play last night. SC didn't look as smooth as I'd have guessed but they did what they had to do and that's respond when pushed. NC had a good game plan that worked well most of the game but Dawn has many weapons. Kitts is a little better than I expected.

LSU was clearly rusty and also still figuring out how to adjust to their new and reintegrated pieces. I always have hesitations when a team doesn't have a true PG who can run the offense and LSU doesn't. However, they picked it up and improved as the game went on. VT did fine but will need to find at least one more option for points to get where they hope to be.

Reaction Score
Slow down a bit. You could have said the same thing about LSU after their first 5 games. South Carolina faced their first true road game with spotty officiating and not only won but overcome some strange, physical circumstances to win. I suggest that they grew up in the second half and this will make them more dangerous in the future as they will be even tougher. Remember this still a young team and each game allows them to fact things they have not encountered yet. Also, this was with Fulwilley sitting for about the entirety of the game to understand that defense is not optional on this team.
This!

We have a really young / inexperienced team with many in their first true road game as freshmen or as upperclassmen with significant playing time at this level. Unlike last year, when we would reinsert the freshies when the backups were getting beat, this team has no safety net and had to figure things out on their own. It was a good test of fortitude in the face of adversity and I think we will become a better team because of it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But the tiebreaker decision clearly goes to the SEC, since Pitt was the nonparticipating team and they're so god-awful this year that counts for like 2 losses right there.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Terrible second half of the challenge for the ACC. BC and Wake Forest both lost by 20+ points...VaTech faded late against LSU...and Florida State shot 29% in losing by double-digits to Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Terrible second half of the challenge for the ACC. BC and Wake Forest both lost by 20+ points...VaTech faded late against LSU...and Florida State shot 29% in losing by double-digits to Arkansas.
Most perplexing is easily the Florida State loss to Arkansas. I didn't watch but the box score really looked horrific for Florida State. The other games didn't surprise me too much in terms of results.

UNC held their own a bit better than I expected vs a very good SC team with their struggles all year. VT losing to LSU didn't surprise me but they got beat down pretty bad in the 2nd half, they have to find a 3rd and 4th option beyond Kitley and Amoore.

Mikyalah Williams for LSU is highly entertaining to watch. Certainly looks like the best HS prospect since Fowles and Augustus to go to LSU. Her, Hidalgo and Juju, Fulwiley certainly don't play like freshmen.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maybe you're thinking of Clemson rather than BC? Clemson lost by 30 to Auburn.

BC, however, took the worst loss of the challenge in losing to an abysmal Kentucky team. In a world with any justice in it, that would be automatic relegation.

Reaction Score
But the tiebreaker decision clearly goes to the SEC, since Pitt was the nonparticipating team and they're so god-awful this year that counts for like 2 losses right there.
Pitt won their game so the ACC wins by half a game. Not our fault the SEC can only come up with 14 teams.

Next year they'll still lag behind with only 16 teams to the 17 in the ACC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Pitt won their game so the ACC wins by half a game. Not our fault the SEC can only come up with 14 teams.

Next year they'll still lag behind with only 16 teams to the 17 in the ACC.
Sorry, that's not how this works. Pitt won their game against St. Francis (Pennsylvania).

Congrats to the ACC! They win the inaugural ACC-Northeast Conference challenge.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Maybe you're thinking of Clemson rather than BC? Clemson lost by 30 to Auburn.

BC, however, took the worst loss of the challenge in losing to an abysmal Kentucky team. In a world with any justice in it, that would be automatic relegation.
Yes...BC lost a thriller to Kentucky. Too many teams to keep straight!

Reaction Score
I was impressed with South Carolina in their win against North Carolina. Pretty physical game but towards the end of the first half, you could see South Carolina slowly asserting themselves on the defensive end which sparked them on offense. Paopao was a huge pickup for South Carolina. They got some snipers on that squad and South Carolina is going to be tough to beat, especially if they lock in and focus for the full game. They are going to be a huge problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other inter conference games not part of the challenge:

Scar beat ND
Scar beat Clem
LSU beat UVa
MSSt beat Clem
Bama beat Louis

FSU best UF
FSU beat Tenn
NC St beat Ky

So, the season record is SEC 12 ACC 10 but not so fast my friend. There are still some games to be played:

SCar v Duke
UGA v GaTech
Louisville v Kentucky

This thing could end up 13-12

Reaction Score
Rough night for South Carolina that I suspect was more than a fluke. The Notre Dame and Maryland wins were and are solid but both look less valuable now. That said, I thought this was going to be a barnburner from the moment it was scheduled. Throw it all out when it comes to a rivalry.

For South Carolina:
  • Not Raven Johnson’s best night although I continue to be impressed with her defensive performance. Made some really poor decisions with the ball and bricked a handful of key free throws. She didn’t look rattled to me, it was just a bad day at the office.
  • Chloe Kitts might’ve been the MVP of this game. Broke open the floor with a couple of midrange jumpers and was SC’s best option at the line. Rotated very well defensively. Did a decent job on Ustby, she’s a tough cover (more on that below).
  • Excellent breakout game for Hall and had a massive late block on Ustby on a drive that could have tied the game.
  • Watkins made an impact but is foul-prone. Wonder if that’s why she’s not starting.
  • Cardoso was a nonfactor offensively although UNC sold out to make sure that happened. It didn’t necessarily show in the stat sheet but I thought Gakdeng outplayed her. I think Kamilla is just reserved by nature but at times she seems passive to me and she’s too important and skilled for that to happen regularly.
  • PaoPao’s shooting is a difference-maker for this team.
  • I’m not sure SC is truly the best team in the country right now after watching LSU tonight but gritty wins like this go a long ways in March. They started hot, let’s see what happens from here.
For North Carolina:
  • Ustby is a player I’m taking at the top if I’m building a team. She has no shot but does everything else very well. I think she’s easily their best player. For those that have heard of incoming Duke recruit Toby Fournier, I think Ustby is a good player comparison for what she could become. Underratedly athletic at the 4 spot.
  • Gakdeng is a beast. I hadn’t seen much of her at Boston College but she’s skilled and played great defense. She’s 6’3” but a LONG 6’3”. Terrific athlete and got a lot of big boards off pure hustle and want-to.
  • I have never been a huge Deja Kelly fan but I do see why she’s so valuable to UNC. She’s not efficient but draws a lot of contact and can get to the line easily. She carried them in the first half, it just didn’t hold up after the break. Took a hard fall, hope she’s all good.
  • Donarski was never ISU’s go-to but she looks a little underutilized to me, especially given her defensive reputation.
Other thoughts:
  • The brawl in the first half definitely added to the tension of the game, especially late. Just seemed like there was some fire between both teams which isn’t a bad thing if it’s kept under control. I was a little mystified Ustby didn’t come away with a tech given she appeared closely involved in the origin.
  • Not sold on Banghart as a coach. Defensively they’re very good but I think the collective whole is less than the parts when it comes to scoring the ball.
  • UNC v. UConn could be a very interesting and entertaining game. Tar Heel’s defense will keep them in a lot of games.
Yeah, but Notre Dame hasn't lost since we played.

Reaction Score
View attachment 93560

I was hoping SCar would pummel Chapel Hill, but figured it would be a lot closer than expected. They always play tight games.... in the 2013-14 season that SCar was a #1 seed for the first time... they lost twice to baby blue.. once in the regular season, and got knocked out by them in the Sweet 16. The very next season, #1 seed Scar won in the sweet 16 here in Greensboro, a game that was tooth and nail until the buzzer. 2022... Chapel Hill gave the Chickens their toughest game in the tournament in the Sweet 16 in Greensboro. Hopefully next year they have a rematch in Columbia.. all of the Tar heels can return from this years team. Utsby and Kelly have a covid year to use. I don't see either being a high draft pick, so they might as well return to school.

Concerning Gakdeng.... of all of the transfers last year, she was #1 on my wish list for Duke.... pained me that she opted to go down the road instead. Fortunately, we picked up her former teammate Mair, who was the #2 player on my wish list.

That USC team played well over its head to get a 1 seed, imo, but didn't matchup with that UNC team very well. That's the UNC team that broke into a thousand pieces after. We got Gray and a title out of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom