ACC/SEC Challenge Matchups | The Boneyard

ACC/SEC Challenge Matchups

Reaction Score
So with LSU and VT playing each other in this challenge I hope that means we get to see a potential UConn or UCLA matchup versus them in the Cayman Islands. It wouldn’t make sense for them to play twice in a two week span.

Reaction Score
I only see one obvious, crazy mismatch. Not only did Vandy draw N.C. State, but the game is in Raleigh. Literally thrown to the wolves. Our fellow SEC cellar dwellers draw Wake Forest, Boston College, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

This is my first official whine about the coming season. Feels good. :D

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I only see one obvious, crazy mismatch. Not only did Vandy draw N.C. State, but the game is in Raleigh. Literally thrown to the wolves. Our fellow SEC cellar dwellers draw Wake Forest, Boston College, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

This is my first official whine about the coming season. Feels good. :D
I'm not sure it will be that crazy of a mismatch. I don't even know who NC State will have on their team when the season opens.

Raoul doesn't even have an updated depth chart. But by my guesstimate the returners for NC State will be Saniyah Rivers, Madison Hayes, Aziaha James, and I THINK River Baldwin. They bring in 4 freshmen and two transfers from Southern Utah and Sacramento State. I think Saniyah Rivers has the most starts of that group at 12 for NC State. So, I think NC State will take some time to find some identity. I was never really impressed with NC state even though they beat Iowa. Didn't Vanderbilt and NC State play each other pretty close last season? I think it'll be more competitive than you're expecting.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
So with LSU and VT playing each other in this challenge I hope that means we get to see a potential UConn or UCLA matchup versus them in the Cayman Islands. It wouldn’t make sense for them to play twice in a two week span.
Me too.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it will be that crazy of a mismatch. I don't even know who NC State will have on their team when the season opens.

Raoul doesn't even have an updated depth chart. But by my guesstimate the returners for NC State will be Saniyah Rivers, Madison Hayes, Aziaha James, and I THINK River Baldwin. They bring in 4 freshmen and two transfers from Southern Utah and Sacramento State. I think Saniyah Rivers has the most starts of that group at 12 for NC State. So, I think NC State will take some time to find some identity. I was never really impressed with NC state even though they beat Iowa. Didn't Vanderbilt and NC State play each other pretty close last season? I think it'll be more competitive than you're expecting.

Was thinking the same. NC State is a question mark for me until conference play.

Reaction Score

Shhhh. I'm trying to sneak up on them. ;)

Actually, you're right. It was a nine-point game in the Cancun Challenge during Thanksgiving. That's a wee bit misleading, though. State led by 26 midway through the third quarter, and Vandy managed to cut it to nine by the end. The Wolfpack shot 53% for the game (45% beyond the arc), and Ciaja Harbison (now graduated) scored 34 to get Vandy back into the game.

Coach Ralph should have her best overall personnel in her third year at Vandy. My worry (it's what I do) is that, of the 13 players on the roster, nine are freshmen and sophomores, and two others missed all of last season due to injuries. The team will take a 12-day tour of Italy in early August and play three games over there. That, along with the 10 days of practice before going, could really come in handy.

I'm excited about the team, but last year's injury fiasco (three starters lost for the season during pre-season practice) has me gun shy. Excitement is easy. Optimism is hard to come by.

Reaction Score
They already said UConn and LSU won't match up in the Cayman islands so I'm assuming this means UCLA/LSU and UConn/Virginia Tech.

I was most excited to play LSU or UCLA so I'm a little disappointed but Virginia Tech/UConn should still be a good game.

Reaction Score
I love these challenges. Can't wait for the season.

I think SC at NC is a great early season matchup.
ND at Tennessee is probably my favorite matchup. I think Tennessee is a bit underrated heading into next season.

I don't love the A&M vs Wake Forest matchup. I think Duke vs A&M woulda been great. I think they matched up last year but A&M was a bit overmatched. Other than that I think they did a fairly good job

Reaction Score

ND at Tennessee is probably my favorite matchup. I think Tennessee is a bit underrated heading into next season.

I don't love the A&M vs Wake Forest matchup. I think Duke vs A&M woulda been great. I think they matched up last year but A&M was a bit overmatched. Other than that I think they did a fairly good job
I would have liked a Louisville vs Mississippi State matchup since Coach Purcell and R Parker were there. However playing Miami should be fun.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I'm 99.625% sure that Duke will be traveling down to College Station for the return trip of last seasons game.

I am a bit meh on facing UGA. I would have preferred Vanderbilt, Missouri, or $CAR.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm 99.625% sure that Duke will be traveling down to College Station for the return trip of last seasons game.

I am a bit meh on facing UGA. I would have preferred Vanderbilt, Missouri, or $CAR.
You like losing, huh?

Reaction Score

We are already playing SC this year at home

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We are already playing SC this year at home

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
What an awesome little tournament! Way to start off the season!!!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Kudos to whomever did these matchups. They were listening to fans/media. Seemed like the Big10/ACC challenge didn’t always put top teams against each other.

Anyone know if the B1G and Big12 are doing anything like this?

Reaction Score
Kudos to whomever did these matchups. They were listening to fans/media. Seemed like the Big10/ACC challenge didn’t always put top teams against each other.

Doubt it now that BIG10 and ESPN don't have a media deal in place.

Reaction Score

Nothing yet and probably nothing this year. Hopefully, somewhere down the line, the Big 10 and the Big 12 put something together. It would be nice to have USC/Texas matchups. Or an Ohio State/Baylor matchup. Michigan/Iowa State....

Reaction Score
Nothing yet and probably nothing this year. Hopefully, somewhere down the line, the Big 10 and the Big 12 put something together. It would be nice to have USC/Texas matchups. Or an Ohio State/Baylor matchup. Michigan/Iowa State....
I wouldn't hold out much hope for a while. The BIG12 is still tied to ESPN for a few more years. ESPN walked away from BIG10 tv deal negotiations, which was their right, however it also killed any potential for a conference challenge between these two in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom