ACC propses every D1 team makes tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC propses every D1 team makes tournament

Reaction Score
At least 5 states only have one team: Maine, Vermont, Minnesota, Wyoming, and Hawaii.

I never noticed that before. How in the world can a state as large as Minnesota not have any other school that wanted to play D-1 basketball?

Reaction Score
I never noticed that before. How in the world can a state as large as Minnesota not have any other school that wanted to play D-1 basketball?

Especially when N and S Dakota both have 2. But I think Minnesota will be adding St. Thomas, didn't they get approval to go from D3 to D1?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
At least 5 states only have one team: Maine, Vermont, Minnesota, Wyoming, and Hawaii.

Imagine how safe their state playoff bubble would be. The state champion playoff would be the best way to go for those concerned with safety.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Excited to see my alma mater, Fairfield, in the tournament for the first time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because of Covid, travel should be reduced. Therefore the plan that makes the most sense is to have each state hold a playoff and the state winners are sent to a bubble for the national championship tournament.
Awesome - all the regional games will be in Durham NC and National Championship in Greensboro
Great scheming K

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Myron Medcalf ESPN Staff Writer

No so fast my friend ~ Lee Corso
"No plans to expand men's basketball tournament in 2021 after ACC's all-in proposal, NCAA says

The ACC's proposal for an all-inclusive NCAA men's basketball tournament that would feature every Division I team does not currently have the backing of the event's leadership.

On Thursday, NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt said the organization is not considering a "contingency plan" to expand the tournament, a day after ACC men's basketball coaches, in a movement led by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, proposed a field that would include every Division I team in the 2021 NCAA tournament after a Wednesday vote."

Reaction Score
Special circumstances demand special solutions. Baseball and the NBA are following different protocols this year. It is very likely that major conferences will play in bubbles but lower leagues can’t so will play fewer games, are more likely to play fewer if any majors and are more likely to have their seasons interrupted. It makes a lot of sense to have an open tournament given the situation, assuming games are still being played come March. As for league tournaments, personally I hate them. Nothing more than a money grab by big leagues where they are totally irrelevant. For the Faux Big East or ACC maybe 1 more or 1 less earns a bid Occasionally but really, a sub .500 team that finished 8th is not exactly the most deserving of a bid anyway.And playing to make the semis is hardly the measure of a program. For 1 bid leagues they are little more than a chance to ruin the season of a team that won over 18 or 20 games and cost them the chance to send their best representative to the tournament.
So eliminate all the foolishness for 1 year and just let ‘em all play. You never know, it might bring about some fun results. Can you imagine the joy if the 315 seed upset Duke?

Reaction Score
I couldn't think of a more ridiculous idea. Conference tournaments are essentially the first few rounds of an all inclusive tournament. I dont think you can create a better bubble with a bigger NCAA tornament than with conferrnce tournaments. The only difference is that this way every ACC coach can put on their resume that they made the NCAA tournament.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Awesome - all the regional games will be in Durham NC and National Championship in Greensboro
Great scheming K
LOL. Not everything on the BY is cynicism. Some of the so called elite programs do have a wee bit "Me first" in their approach to things.

Reaction Score
Given what is happening at many universities, it may be that a bubble is the only way to go. Even if the B1G wanted to start the season in a month, it seems that schools in Illinois and Michigan may need to sit out. In the ACC, we have the Virginia schools that are unable to play football. One wonders if we're going to start having rolling quarantines.

Reaction Score
I couldn't think of a more ridiculous idea. Conference tournaments are essentially the first few rounds of an all inclusive tournament. I dont think you can create a better bubble with a bigger NCAA tornament than with conferrnce tournaments. The only difference is that this way every ACC coach can put on their resume that they made the NCAA tournament.
That is obviously nonsense. If every league got 1 you’d be right but conference tournaments are and have always been about money first, money second and money 3rd. Back in the day they might have been the first round but as soon as you took an at-large team from a league (back in the day there were Indy basketball teams who got the at-large bids) they ceased being meaningful for major conferences. The Big East might as well be the pre-season NIT for all the importance it brings to the league as far as bids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom