ACC Preseason Poll & Honors | The Boneyard

ACC Preseason Poll & Honors

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
More discussion fodder as we eagerly await actual games.
1540308978100.png

Reaction Score
I find is very interesting that Louisville got any votes. Kentucky newspaper perhaps....or are they taking Louisville's two wins against ND last year into consideration?

Reaction Score
The Ogunbawale selection is a "what have you done for me lately." I know pre-season means nothing, but one would think all the ND players would cancel each other out. Durr was last years winner and will have to shoulder a big load this year. Plus, I think she is just slightly a better basketball player than Arike.

Reaction Score
Orangutan...I've always valued and respected your opinion so don't take this as a troll. Are you worried Arike, someone known to be a volume shooter, will be able to swallow her pride in games she isn't hitting against good teams and defer to other talented players on the team?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orangutan...I've always valued and respected your opinion so don't take this as a troll. Are you worried Arike, someone known to be a volume shooter, will be able to swallow her pride in games she isn't hitting against good teams and defer to other talented players on the team?

That's pretty much always been the concern with Arike. She has gotten a lot better over time at harnessing her aggression and becoming a more efficient player.

I think between Marina and Muffet (and the kinder, gentler approach of Niele), they'll keep her in check. I think Marina and Arike's friendship really helps. Marina is never afraid to express an opinion and there's a level of trust and respect there as best friends so I think Arike responds to feedback from her.

Muffet has the added option of benching her if she gets out of control this year, which she couldn't really do last year. Though I think it actually freed Arike up to not fear the hook every time she did something stupid. But part of that was also knowing that she was doing something stupid and self-correcting. I think that's a skill she has now that will serve her well.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The Ogunbawale selection is a "what have you done for me lately." I know pre-season means nothing, but one would think all the ND players would cancel each other out. Durr was last years winner and will have to shoulder a big load this year. Plus, I think she is just slightly a better basketball player than Arike.

Whereas last year, Louisville had ND's number so Walz and Durr picked up the awards in "what have you done for me lately" fashion. I think it's really very close between Durr and Ogunbowale. Durr's a better defender. Ogunbowale gets more rebounds and assists. Pretty much a pick'em.

But yeah, I expect Ogunbowale's scoring number to drop and Durr's might even rise without Hines-Allen, so from a handicapping perspective, I would make Durr the favorite to ultimately claim the award.

Reaction Score
All of NDs pre-season All-ACC players are proven, and I know it would look bad if they put Young up there for 5 ND players. But I expect Young to have an All-ACC first team type of season. Muffett, Mabrey, and Turner all said in their ACC interview that the she is the one to watch this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When was the last time FSU was picked preseason #7 or #8?

The ACC has been stronger.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All of NDs pre-season All-ACC players are proven, and I know it would look bad if they put Young up there for 5 ND players. But I expect Young to have an All-ACC first team type of season. Muffett, Mabrey, and Turner all said in their ACC interview that the she is the one to watch this season.

One of ND's coaches has joked that Jackie Young defers to her elders too much and too some degree, that's true for a young adult that is the leading scorer in Indiana High School history. There's a lot of scorers in that starting ND lineup and ND has a way of moving the ball around to get everyone involved. I suspect Young will play within that context. The year you'll see her soar individually is in 2019-20, when all four of those first-teams have graduated.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Few observations/thoughts:

- Absolutely no difference between the "Blue Ribbon Panel" and the "Head Coaches" lists. Usually there's one or two different players on one or the other, but not this time.

- Besides the Irish, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Tiana Mangakahia does second time around, with more international players and frosh Emily Engstler to work with this season. Should be interesting.

- Frosh Engstler (St. Francis) and ND's Jordan Nixon and soph. Danielle Paterson (The Mary Louis Academy) played in the same league in Queens. Will be interesting to see them at the next level.

- Beatrice Mompremier has completed her transfer year and is ready to go for her hometown Miami Hurricanes. Will be interested to see if she's paired in a "twin tower" approach with Emese Hof, the Dutch center who is amazingly now a senior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Few observations/thoughts:

- Absolutely no difference between the "Blue Ribbon Panel" and the "Head Coaches" lists. Usually there's one or two different players on one or the other, but not this time.

- Besides the Irish, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Tiana Mangakahia does second time around, with more international players and frosh Emily Engstler to work with this season. Should be interesting.

- Frosh Engstler (St. Francis) and ND's Jordan Nixon and soph. Danielle Paterson (The Mary Louis Academy) played in the same league in Queens. Will be interesting to see them at the next level.

- Beatrice Mompremier has completed her transfer year and is ready to go for her hometown Miami Hurricanes. Will be interested to see if she's paired in a "twin tower" approach with Emese Hof, the Dutch center who is amazingly now a senior.
I watched Tiana M. A couple of times last year. A real volume shooter. Couldn’t quite tell how good she really was. Agree it’ll be interesting to see how she progresses this year.

I was a bit surprised at UVAs relatively low ranking. They have almost everybody back from last year and will add the French PG who was out with an ACL tear last year. She’s expected to start. Think her name is Toi.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And UGGGGGHHHHHH.

Dear ACCWBB,

You're welcome.

Sincerely,
The Real Big East

I know, right? Completely outclassing Tobacco Road. Well, except for Pitt and BC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom