ACC options | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
North Carolina having 4 power conference programs is not feasible in any contraction scenario. UNC is first, Wake is last, and the fight is whether one or both of Duke and State can get a life raft.
Wake isn’t 2nd ahead of Duke. UNC/Duke then it doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
Can someone clarify again if 8 ACC schools left and vote to dissolve the ACC, will there still be a GOR since the ACC is the entity holding the GOR rights?

The reason for this is FSU board member was on record stating that lawyers examined the GOR over and over, and he stated there are options for FSU. He also stated FSU will make decisions not being held back by the GOR.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Consolidation is going to happen and when it does, Miami, FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and ND aren't going to all be left out. They're going to jump from the ACC to the B1G and SEC. So is the rest of the ACC stronger than the XII? The stronger of those two groups is going to consume the other. XII is clearly stronger in my eyes and they'll address their east coast shortfalls once the ACC is scalped of the 6 schools above. Hard to imagine that adding UConn will somehow push the ACC beyond the XII.

View attachment 90454
Not sure…. The markets in East are more desirable. Really depends on who is left after SEC and Big have their picks, and how many picks do they get.

What’s the eventual number? 22 or 24 teams.
Wake is last I said.
yep. Read that wrong.
We’re aligned

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I believe the best solution for the ACC is to do nothing for now. They can build a partnership with another league at some point in the future to aggregate content for a DTC streaming platform. That long term ESPN contract is going to turn from a negative to a positive when all the other linear contracts expire and all the media partners demand subscription based, incentive contracts.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC could salvage itself, but it needs to be proactive. And things have to bounce their way. Neither of which will likely happen.

Assuming it loses 5 schools and ND goes as well, you’ve still got stellar hoops and several fb schools. The goal isn’t to beat SEC or Big, you just have to beat Big 12 or be close to keep P4 status.

Ultimately, comes down to when the P2 stop grabbing schools. Is that 20, 22, or 24.

20 helps Acc since they have more value and would likely be the next target.

In that case you still have Nc state, Pitt, VA tech, and Louisville as core fb. Wake is wake. If ACC could woo Kansas, WVU and Cincy plus UConn, that is a nice win. Maybe add USF and Memphis and it’s a decent fb league maybe enough to keep P4. Basketball would be strong.

Syracuse and BC need to step up on both fb and bb.

Reaction Score
I am curious if people know more about FSU's discussion with private equity about a college media network. This is an obvious threat to the media companies like ESPN and FOX.

How can UConn get involved with this? Our brand is worth much more than we are being paid right now.

Also, how can we leverage streaming platforms like Apple to get more revenue for football?

We have to think of UConn like we think of running a business going forward.

The partnership with JP Morgan might lead to a new conference. I heard that Louisville is the 8th team.

People have speculated that the private equity partners could solicit foreign interest much like what Saudi partners did with the golf league.

Sports is big money. The formation of a new conference could lead to even bigger per team payout than the SEC or B1G. It's all very interesting and I think there will end up being more than 8 teams that will agree to this if they do indeed obtain enough private funding.

We are in a new Era.

Reaction Score
Hopefully it's at least 22. In that case something like this happens (schools can be swapped between the conferences and it doesn't change the point)

B1G (18): UNC, UVA, ND, Miami
SEC (16): FSU, Clemson, NCST, GT, VT, Louisville

That leaves... ACC: BC, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, WF

If the XII can hold onto P3 and they also go to 22 then they need 6 more members. UConn has to hold off Memphis, SMU, SDSU, Tulane, USF, etc to be that number 6. I would hope we are currently ahead of all of these G5 teams and at least BC, Cuse, and WF at this point from the ACC leftovers.

If the number is 20, things get a lot tougher for UConn. We're probably currently the "last team in" in that scenario.

Reaction Score
The partnership with JP Morgan might lead to a new conference. I heard that Louisville is the 8th team.

People have speculated that the private equity partners could solicit foreign interest much like what Saudi partners did with the golf league.

Sports is big money. The formation of a new conference could lead to even bigger per team payout than the SEC or B1G. It's all very interesting and I think there will end up being more than 8 teams that will agree to this if they do indeed obtain enough private funding.

We are in a new Era.
I think it will ultimately be a collection of big brand schools while getting rid of all the tag alongs like Wake, Vandy etc that don't really offer much value. In the current environment, there is no way in hell a school like Alabama will take the same payment as Vandy forever.

FSU's equity idea might indeed open up an entirely new chapter for college sports.

For UConn, we just need to keep building the brand for the media.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
According to second article, ACC doesn’t exist
Good luck with that. The ACC is in a better position than the Big XII is. Too many people overreacting to FSU's noise, when FSU has no realistic options. If it wants to pay $400m to leave, fine. The rest of them aren't passing up that free money. Meanwhile, where is it going?
SEC doesn't want them. B1G doesn't want them and the Big XII pays less than the ACC.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that. The ACC is in a better position than the Big XII is. Too many people overreacting to FSU's noise, when FSU has no realistic options. If it wants to pay $400m to leave, fine. The rest of them aren't passing up that free money. Meanwhile, where is it going?
SEC doesn't want them. B1G doesn't want them and the Big XII pays less than the ACC.
We’ll see. I don’t think Big and Sec are going to wait 13 years

Reaction Score
I think it will ultimately be a collection of big brand schools while getting rid of all the tag alongs like Wake, Vandy etc that don't really offer much value. In the current environment, there is no way in hell a school like Alabama will take the same payment as Vandy forever.

FSU's equity idea might indeed open up an entirely new chapter for college sports.

For UConn, we just need to keep building the brand for the media.

Yormark was correct about trying to upgrade the basketball brand of the 12.

If these ACC teams break off and create a new conference, maybe they'll see UConn as a potential addition to Duke, UNC and Virginia.

Who really knows, but you're correct about continuing to build the brand.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Can someone clarify again if 8 ACC schools left and vote to dissolve the ACC, will there still be a GOR since the ACC is the entity holding the GOR rights?

The reason for this is FSU board member was on record stating that lawyers examined the GOR over and over, and he stated there are options for FSU. He also stated FSU will make decisions not being held back by the GOR.
I have not seen the "8 schools can dissolve the ACC" linked to an actual document, just referenced by message board and twitter posters. Not looking very hard for it though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We are in a new Era.

I don’t think this new era will work out the way some of the mega programs think it will.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yormark was correct about trying to upgrade the basketball brand of the 12.

If these ACC teams break off and create a new conference, maybe they'll see UConn as a potential addition to Duke, UNC and Virginia.

Who really knows, but you're correct about continuing to build the brand.
I like that his basketball upgrade consists of Arizona and 3 warm bodies.

Reaction Score
What if FSU and a bunch of schools just get together and form a media company along with a steaming platform with private equity funding? Each college could just be a partner in this new entity. Streaming platforms like Apple, Amazon, etc. can be partners as well? They go out and make money, and everyone get paid based on their shares?

The fund raised from private equity will be used for marketing and promotion of this platform.

I can see UConn be part of this.
Not a chance the big time schools willingly put their games exclusively on streaming.

Reaction Score
How much does Uconn need from outside sources to be a self sustaining Athletic Department?
Basketball is clearly in a good spot- but what number provides for everything else?

Reaction Score
Hopefully it's at least 22. In that case something like this happens (schools can be swapped between the conferences and it doesn't change the point)

B1G (18): UNC, UVA, ND, Miami
SEC (16): FSU, Clemson, NCST, GT, VT, Louisville

That leaves... ACC: BC, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, WF

If the XII can hold onto P3 and they also go to 22 then they need 6 more members. UConn has to hold off Memphis, SMU, SDSU, Tulane, USF, etc to be that number 6. I would hope we are currently ahead of all of these G5 teams and at least BC, Cuse, and WF at this point from the ACC leftovers.

If the number is 20, things get a lot tougher for UConn. We're probably currently the "last team in" in that scenario.
A scenario is UVA and UNC to B1G; Clemson and FSU to SEC. The rest don’t move as they are dilutive.

Reaction Score

We are in a new Era.

If they sell their programs to the Saudis or private equity then the fans should riot.

Reaction Score
A scenario is UVA and UNC to B1G; Clemson and FSU to SEC. The rest don’t move as they are dilutive.
Only way UNC ends up in the B1G is if the SEC is willing to NCSU as a replacement, assuming they won't take both

Reaction Score
Only way UNC ends up in the B1G is if that's the only way NCSU lands a P2 conference
And UNC leadership wants to go to the B10. UNC won't let NC State take a spot it wants.

Reaction Score
I like that his basketball upgrade consists of Arizona and 3 warm bodies.

I totally agree with you. ASU had no business being in that equation. Yormark crapped his pants under the presidents pressure

Reaction Score
Yormark pulled at the strings of the Pac and y'all think it was coincidental he ended up with 4 Pac schools?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom