ACC Network? Ah, no. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC Network? Ah, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BTN contracts with the individual cable providers.

If you think cable doesn't use DMAs, you are incorrect.

Your second sentence is meaningless in the context of this discussion.

BTN could contract with someone in New Rochelle and be totally shut down in Greenwich. Same DMA, entirely different contract.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Right. I meant they use them- for ratings, ad rates, etc.

Reaction Score
Unless you are on the Syracuse board, where it's happening any minute!!!
What a joke. Nobody thinks the network is imminent the freaking SEC network took 3 years for ESPN to buy back all tier 3 rights from the companies the original 12 SEC schools sold them too. I feel bad for UConn sometimes, but your schtick makes me not feel bad sometimes. The ACC is going to pay its members 18-20 million dollars from ESPN media rights deals, the conference also has sponsorship money from Dr. Pepper for the Championship game as well as other companies, the conference will be receiving a lot of future NCAA credits with Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse leading the basketball league. Yet because the ACC network won't be up and running real soon means everyone on the Syracuse board expects it done today. I am sorry you are hurt that UConn is stuck in the AAC, but guess what the ACC will negotiate with Raycom/Fox Sports South and purchase back those 17 football games and 25 basketball games that ESPN sub-licensed to Raycom/Fox Sports South. Rome wasn't built in one day and guess what while the ACC network won't happen overnight with the ACC solidarity in the GOR the conference can wait a couple of years and let the seeds they have planted for a network grow into something. Instead you want to take 1 or 2 posters and make it seem like its everyone.

Reaction Score
Right. I meant they use them- for ratings, ad rates, etc.
Instead of worrying about an ACC network I would work on your commissioner getting your conference some freaking bowl games.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...onference-bowl-lineups/index.html?eref=sircrc

The American Athletic Conference, a.k.a. the former Big East, is largely in a holding pattern until the power-five leagues fill out their cards. Its current Nos. 2-4 bowls -- Russell Athletic, Belk and Pinstripe -- are all likely parting ways, but the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla., remains a viable option. Elsewhere, the GoDaddy Bowl (note, it's no longer GoDaddy.com) has announced it will continue its MAC-Sun Belt relationship. Other mid-major bowl partnerships will start trickling out once the major conferences finalize their respective lineups.

Reaction Score
but guess what the ACC will negotiate with Raycom/Fox Sports South and purchase back those 17 football games and 25 basketball games that ESPN sub-licensed to Raycom/Fox Sports South.

The ACC source in the article argues the exact opposite of what you stated here.

Reaction Score
Instead of worrying about an ACC network I would work on your commissioner getting your conference some freaking bowl games.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...onference-bowl-lineups/index.html?eref=sircrc

The American Athletic Conference, a.k.a. the former Big East, is largely in a holding pattern until the power-five leagues fill out their cards. Its current Nos. 2-4 bowls -- Russell Athletic, Belk and Pinstripe -- are all likely parting ways, but the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla., remains a viable option. Elsewhere, the GoDaddy Bowl (note, it's no longer GoDaddy.com) has announced it will continue its MAC-Sun Belt relationship. Other mid-major bowl partnerships will start trickling out once the major conferences finalize their respective lineups.

You've lost your mind. ZLS is not discussing the ACC network. We're talking about something else entirely. Try to follow along, and chill. Your anger is spilling over.

Besides, the NIT used to be a big deal. They even had consolation games that were televised. Now it's an afterthought. No one cares. As football moves to a playoff, same thing is going to happen to these idiotic bowls. When football goes to 8 team playoff or even 16, the bowls are all done. It's not that the people putting on the bowls will lose interest. The fans will. And the budget of all the schools.

Reaction Score
Hey everybody, alsacs says that instead of worrying about the ACC network (which zls and I weren't even discussing) we should call up Aresco and press him to secure some bowls. That's the kind of advice that's prominent in nowheresville.

Reaction Score
Hey everybody, alsacs says that instead of worrying about the ACC network (which zls and I weren't even discussing) we should call up Aresco and press him to secure some bowls. That's the kind of advice that's prominent in nowheresville.
I think I am fair guy. I used his last message to make my second point which was related to my first point. Go ahead and disagree with me because I don't care. Instead your sarcasm meter has to blow a load and try to drag more people into this. My points were directed to 1 person.

Reaction Score
I think I am fair guy. I used his last message to make my second point which was related to my first point. Go ahead and disagree with me because I don't care. Instead your sarcasm meter has to blow a load and try to drag more people into this. My points were directed to 1 person.

One person who was discussing cable rights in the NYC DMA for BTN. Had nothing to do with what you're blathering about.

Reaction Score
One person who was discussing cable rights in the NYC DMA for BTN. Had nothing to do with what you're blathering about.
Again I said I picked HIS LAST MESSAGE to respond to because I didn't want to go back 2 pages and respond to the first one again. Secondly, where does the ACC source the conference won't negotiate with FOX Sports to purchase back the sub-licensed rights?

Reaction Score
Again I said I picked HIS LAST MESSAGE to respond to because I didn't want to go back 2 pages and respond to the first one again. Secondly, where does the ACC source the conference won't negotiate with FOX Sports to purchase back the sub-licensed rights?

Pac12 media consultant. Not ACC.

and boy, the poster who mentioned Cuse fans is right. You guys are deluded.

Reaction Score
Pac12 media consultant. Not ACC.

and boy, the poster who mentioned Cuse fans is right. You guys are deluded.
First, off thank you correcting yourself. Second, I am not going to defend Cuse fans or any fans of other teams. Every team fanbase is delusional towards its own program. We all love our team more than others, but I am fair for the most part and tell it the way I see it. I don't expect UConn fans on this site NOT to be deluded towards UConn because you are all fans and alums of UConn. I am done agruing with you as I didn't even bring you into this, but go back to your take any ESPN taxbreaks rants. I am done arguing and unless your willingly to have a legitimate conservation I don't care to bark back and forth.

Reaction Score
You're jumping to conclusions. UConn wouldn't ask for special allowances. It would be fine with $25 million up front. What I am saying is that women's bball is one of the big reasons why SNY charges $2.50 in the state per household. And yes, that's $30 million a year not including advertising revenue. I'm assuming that ESPN would take the same number of games.

If Uconn woman's BB was worth $2.50 or $30 mil/year it would have twice the clout of ND in realignment. SNY carriers a lot more than Uconn. I think a poll of 8 million people in NYC would show that the Mets and Jets are the reason SNY can charge $2.50. With all due respect, I would find it hard to believe that women's BB influences the price of SNY more than live Mets games, Mets analysis and talk shows, Jets analysis and talk shows, Uconn football, Uconn men's BB, and other Big East football and BB including Rutgers. We all understand the Uconn women are very good and popular in CT, but they are not worth anywhere close to $30 million dollars a year. No women's BB program is going to influence realignment, including Uconn.

Reaction Score
If Uconn woman's BB was worth $2.50 or $30 mil/year it would have twice the clout of ND in realignment. SNY carriers a lot more than Uconn. I think a poll of 8 million people in NYC would show that the Mets and Jets are the reason SNY can charge $2.50. With all due respect, I would find it hard to believe that women's BB influences the price of SNY more than live Mets games, Mets analysis and talk shows, Jets analysis and talk shows, Uconn football, Uconn men's BB, and other Big East football and BB including Rutgers. We all understand the Uconn women are very good and popular in CT, but they are not worth anywhere close to $30 million dollars a year. No women's BB program is going to influence realignment, including Uconn.

1. I never said the women on their own are worth $30m a year.
2. We are talking Conn. Not NYC. SNY charges that much in Conn. I multiplied monthly subscription x cable households in the state.
3. Women's bball received higher ratings than ALL television shows including network a couple times this year.
4. Women's bball knocked a Syracuse bball game off the air across all of SNY this year.
5. $30m is the revenue. You're forgetting production costs. Remember, Fox's take per team on BTN dwarfs the per team payout. They have to pay production. The BTN payout is a fraction of what Fox takes in for running the channel.
6. Yes, I do expect that UConn women's bball is more popular in Ct. than the Mets.

Check this out: http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130111&content_id=40929348&vkey=2

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of SEC football. You and I both know that UConn football only looked like SEC for a few games when Zach Frazer caught fire. Otherwise, not even close.

I had a really long, detailed response to this written out, because people that might read this, and don't know too much about UCONN football, are going to be dumber, for having read it, but then I looked at the name "hoophound", right before clicking "post reply" and I thought to myself....."oh yeah....that old problem."

Hoops fan.

Then I deleted the response, and will simply write this: The words "Zach Frazer"and "caught fire", are absolutley meaningless, unless you know something about an episode where he actually lit himself on fire away from the field at some point. (and I do think Zach Frazer was a great QB, for the teams he palyed on against the competition we played)

....and that we have destroyed SEC opponents two of the last 3 times we matched up, AND we are a coaching and walk on QB combination blunder in a high pressure situation call, in his first road start, late in a game....from being 3-0 vs. SEC programs. And I will go ahead and say that I gaurantee I know a lot more about college football, than you do, and that winning, is a lot more important, than the aesthetics of how you go about winning, when it comes to building and engaging the interest of a fan base.

Now - back to the Big 10 discussion........

Reaction Score
OK. If adding Rutgers to the Big 10 meant the BTN would get NJ, NYC, and Fairfield County to subscribe to the BTN at $0.90 per sub, this was the greatest move that Delaney ever could have made. Of course, it doesn't work that way as people have questioned if adding Rutgers would bring NYC. As I wrote above, the FCC requires that cable companies and cable nets negotiate prices and tiers. The cable companies are not required to put channels on a certain tier. And, politicians can influence this.

Not-for-nuttin, but my gut and forty-plus years living in Greenwich or Stamford tell me that the availability of Michigan, Wisconsin and even Northwestern would have greater impact on FF County that Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Good fan bases don't abandon their team after two tough seasons. UConn can barely get 30k homes in Hartford to watch a game against a Top 20 opponent. Yet, people want to throw around the term no-brainer when it comes to conference realignment.

whaler, "fanatics" don't abandon their teams and it's the fanatics that continue to show-up at the Rent regardless of the opponent, weather or day/night of the week. Sports teams are not competing for their fanatics. By necessity, they target the more casual fan; a fan that tends to be more discerning and demanding. To those people, only a good, exciting,well-promoted product will produce interest and affection.

Carl is 100% correct on the importance of winning. Hoophound is correct about the need for an exciting brand of play. And Upstater is right in noting that the SEC plays "defense-based" FB, for the most part. What many seem to miss is that the SEC product includes marketing/promotion that constantly reinforces it's greatness to the world beyond Dog Patch. It's always 1) Product, 2) Excitement, 3) Promotion = Winning Casual Fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whaler, "fanatics" don't abandon their teams and it's the fanatics that continue to show-up at the Rent regardless of the opponent, weather or day/night of the week. Sports teams are not competing for their fanatics. By necessity, they target the more casual fan; a fan that tends to be more discerning and demanding. To those people, only a good, exciting,well-promoted product will produce interest and affection.

Carl is 100% correct on the importance of winning. Hoophound is correct about the need for an exciting brand of play. And Upstater is right in noting that the SEC plays "defense-based" FB, for the most part. What many seem to miss is that the SEC product includes marketing/promotion that constantly reinforces it's greatness to the world beyond Dog Patch. It's always 1) Product, 2) Excitement, 3) Promotion = Winning Casual Fans.

Then we don't have enough fanatics. Define the terms any way you like. When a flagship State U that has been playing in a BCS conference has 30k homes watch a road game against a top 25 team that they win in triple OT you don't get to complain that realignment left you behind.

Either enough people get on board through thick and thin or we drift into irrelevance. It's a chicken and egg situation in a sense, but the people of Connecticut have the ability to chose to support the program to the point where it can't be ignored.

Too many people want to play the victim and blame Boston College or ESPN or Notre Dame or Swofford. That route is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Either enough people care deeply about UConn being at the highest level or it is the AAC. The choice is actually ours - no matter how many people don't believe that.

Reaction Score
marketing/promotion that constantly reinforces it's greatness to the world beyond Dog Patch. It's always 1) Product, 2) Excitement, 3) Promotion = Winning Casual Fans.

Folks in places like Columbus are immersed in significant amounts of promotion. There is simply a dearth of promotion about UConn football. In places where football matters, where I often go on business, all the TV stations (not just the station carrying the game) are filled with promos. News reports are filled with stories about the big game and weather leads with the game forecast.
Our historical lack of media support presents a challenge to building the necessary demand for our football product. If we can't rely on our local media oulets for promotion, our UConn AD staff needs to start banging those drums, loudly. A great example is NECN, New England Cable News. Their sports reports hardly ever mention UConn. Aren't we in New England? When our five players were drafted I watched their sports report to hear about the feat. But there was nothing mentioned about it on NECN. So I sent this tweet:

4/29/13, 9:14 AM
@kevinwalshtvSaw your NECN segment on NFL draft. Why no mention of 5 UConn players drafted? How often does that happen? Isn't NECN a New England network?

His response? Good point, but we had a feature on Blidi.

@kevinwalshtv Thanks Kevin but even a simple "kudos to UConn with 5 players drafted!" would have worked. We got nat'l att'n yet zero from our "home" TV.

Why do I complain? Because a simple mention of our draft success on their broadcast (which gets repeated throughout the day) gets both clueless viewers and casual fans all over New England thinking "Wow, that's impressive--UConn football is a lot better than I thought". It puts us in their consciousness--whether they were paying close attention to the broadcast or not.
Frankly, we need to hold outlets like NECN to a higher standard of reportage. They had time to mention Geno Smith but not enough for a shout out to one of their constituent schools after a tremendous achievement? If we can't control what these media oulets say, (which is the constant response I get from Storrs) then our UConn athletic brass should at least let them hear about it when they miss the mark. And folks like me shouldn't have to do it. There should be interns monitoring this stuff.

Reaction Score
NECN doesn't really talk about college athletics at all - their sportscasts tend to be on the very short side, so they're not going to dedicate 30 seconds of a 5 minute segment to the amount of UConn players drafted.

UConn (including the women's team) is fairly well-covered on NESN, getting at least as much airtime as BC. The simple reality is that Boston is predominantly a pro town - I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Reaction Score
1. I never said the women on their own are worth $30m a year.
2. We are talking Conn. Not NYC. SNY charges that much in Conn. I multiplied monthly subscription x cable households in the state.
3. Women's bball received higher ratings than ALL television shows including network a couple times this year.
4. Women's bball knocked a Syracuse bball game off the air across all of SNY this year.
5. $30m is the revenue. You're forgetting production costs. Remember, Fox's take per team on BTN dwarfs the per team payout. They have to pay production. The BTN payout is a fraction of what Fox takes in for running the channel.
6. Yes, I do expect that UConn women's bball is more popular in Ct. than the Mets.

Check this out: http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130111&content_id=40929348&vkey=2
everytime that you think you have convinced yourself that womens basketball matters in some way, you should remind yourself that WOMENS BASKETBALL DOESNT MATTER

Reaction Score
Folks in places like Columbus are immersed in significant amounts of promotion. There is simply a dearth of promotion about UConn football. In places where football matters, where I often go on business, all the TV stations (not just the station carrying the game) are filled with promos. News reports are filled with stories about the big game and weather leads with the game forecast.
Our historical lack of media support presents a challenge to building the necessary demand for our football product. If we can't rely on our local media oulets for promotion, our UConn AD staff needs to start banging those drums, loudly. A great example is NECN, New England Cable News. Their sports reports hardly ever mention UConn. Aren't we in New England? When our five players were drafted I watched their sports report to hear about the feat. But there was nothing mentioned about it on NECN. So I sent this tweet:

4/29/13, 9:14 AM
@kevinwalshtvSaw your NECN segment on NFL draft. Why no mention of 5 UConn players drafted? How often does that happen? Isn't NECN a New England network?

His response? Good point, but we had a feature on Blidi.

@kevinwalshtv Thanks Kevin but even a simple "kudos to UConn with 5 players drafted!" would have worked. We got nat'l att'n yet zero from our "home" TV.

Why do I complain? Because a simple mention of our draft success on their broadcast (which gets repeated throughout the day) gets both clueless viewers and casual fans all over New England thinking "Wow, that's impressive--UConn football is a lot better than I thought". It puts us in their consciousness--whether they were paying close attention to the broadcast or not.
Frankly, we need to hold outlets like NECN to a higher standard of reportage. They had time to mention Geno Smith but not enough for a shout out to one of their constituent schools after a tremendous achievement? If we can't control what these media oulets say, (which is the constant response I get from Storrs) then our UConn athletic brass should at least let them hear about it when they miss the mark. And folks like me shouldn't have to do it. There should be interns monitoring this stuff.

Years ago, I was basically laughed off the board when I suggested UConn should have a billboard on the interstate as you entered the state from NY in Stamford, and when you entered from Mass via 91/84, trumpeting that BCS football was "up ahead". I feel the reason UConn football was under promoted was cause the school itself didn't promote the teams accordingly. Looking back, it was Hathaway just sort of maintaining the status quo and not pushing to get to another level. It didn't help that Edsall had a bunker mentality about everything regarding program, when it was a neophyte program that should have been promoted at any and all costs. I will always feel that our early years in the Big East were a wasted opportunity to pimp the shiz out of the teams that were coming to play our team and the fact that we "were BCS football". Wasted opportunity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Promotion sure. Billboards are so worthless it's painful. May as well commission a daguerrotype of Pasqualoni (oh wait those already exist).

Reaction Score
Promotion sure. Billboards are so worthless it's painful. May as well commission a daguerrotype of Pasqualoni (oh wait those already exist).
I've heard others say this and you guys may be right (Frankly I don't know enough about marketing), but the fact is the school did very little to try and leverage the superior hand they were dealt by upgrading from FCS to BCS. I was a casual fan of UConn football, that followed the boxscores and articles in the paper. I went to a handful of games at memorial stadium. I was a slam dunk fan when they upgraded. The guys in my group I got them to get tickets and they got hooked. There are tons of people waiting to get hooked, some way some how, the school has to bring has to tap into those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom