ACC discussing expansion, 3 potential targets | The Boneyard

ACC discussing expansion, 3 potential targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
ACC Sports ‏ @ ACCSports David Glenn's sources say ACC discussing expansion this week, 3 potential targets: Louisville, UConn and Navy

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Cam any opions on how SNY will impact UConn going to the ACC?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam any opions on how SNY will impact UConn going to the ACC?

Back in 2010, the ACC and ESPN agreed to a 12-year deal that gave ESPN exclusive rights to conference football and men's basketball games.

Earlier this year, the ACC and ESPN agreed on a rights deal that extends through the 2026-27 season with additional football, men's and women's basketball and Olympic sports coverage. The new deal added 30 additional regular season ACC men's basketball games, plus two more conference tournament games. ESPN also gained title sponsorship rights to all conference tournament events, including the ACC men's tournament, which has never been sponsored.

The new deal also added 14 more football games, including three Friday night games (one of which, hosted by Boston College or Syracuse, to be played the day after Thanksgiving).

As for women's basketbal, under the new deal, ESPN will televise a number of regular-season ACC women's basketball games, plus the entire conference tournament. It will also broadcast baseball, softball, lacross, men's soccer, and women's soccer.

How does this impact SNY? I think it depends on the sport. If UConn joins the ACC, expect the Huskies' women's basketball team to be prominently featured on ESPN. Games that are not on ESPN will be on SNY (as is the case now, where SNY airs games that ESPN and CBS do not air). Same holds true for the UConn men's basketball team. I do not expect UConn football to be on ESPN that often, though.

Reaction Score
If it was Navy, it would only be for football. It's very unlikely they would leave the Patriot League for other sports.

Right right. It took me a few mins to comprehend.
Basically Navy would fill Notre Dame's FB slot, giving the ACC 14 teams in all sports.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Navy?!?

That will give us some presence in the valuable DC-Baltimore TV market. Guess Navy is preferable to either Bowie State or Towson.

Reaction Score
When asked at the Paradies Jam about the ACC, UCON's AD said he was" monitoring the situation". What he really meant was the Huskies were waiting for an offer. The Big East is now the Big Least. Time to move on.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
IMO, Louisville would be primary target their with all sports, Navy for football, and then UCONN for all sports. Just a gut feeling but Louisville has a stronger FB program and that is the driving force.

Is the Big12 still after Louisville???

Reaction Score
I don't get Navy. The reality is that Louisville is what they really want. They are trying to beat the Big12 and get them first. The fact that it hasn't happened yet tells me Louisville knows this and is playing the Big12 and ACC off each other. To what end, I don't know. After UConn and Louisville, they should probably grab Cinci. They have Virginia. If they lose Virginia, then go after Navy.
One thing that they would get if they got Navy over Louisville is a school which is a great institute of learning instead of a school ranked in the mid 100's scholastically.

Reaction Score
First of all, the idea that Louisville has this superior football program is a myth - UConn is actually 4-3 against the Cardinals since they joined the Big East. Both programs are on the same level (Louisville has the slight edge, as UConn is admittedly going in the wrong direction), and both represent upgrades over Maryland. But neither is a real game-changer to the ACC like a school like Notre Dame would be.

Really, this shouldn't be a hard decision when you factor in UConn's significantly larger market - looking at the look at the B1G's decision to invite Maryland and Rutgers, that appears to be far more important than athletic success. However, a few of the ACC's "football schools" (most likely FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech and Clemson) are strongly against UConn right now.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Please, higher power of some sort that may or may not exist, let this happen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reliable sources now reporting that the ACC presidents will vote tomorrow morning and Louisville will be extended an invitation. That's it for now. ESPN's Andy Katz says that the ACC believes it can invite UConn if another school leaves the ACC because it doesn't believe UConn has other options.

Many thought UConn had the advantage because of location (Northeast vs kentucky) and far superior academics. I guess not.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
IMO, Louisville would be primary target their with all sports, Navy for football, and then UCONN for all sports. Just a gut feeling but Louisville has a stronger FB program and that is the driving force.

If Louisville has such a srong football program, why did they lose last Saturday to those imposters with a big "C" on their blue helmets last Saturday? At home on Senior Day yet!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Suffering fools? No, I suck at it.
No doubt, I'm sure you suck at a lot of things.(but that's just an opinion, not a fact :rolleyes:)

I guess we'll just have to go with your definition of "facts" and well the actual definition of "facts" really are not the same.
I'll give you though, you are not alone. There are a lot of stupid people out there that confuse opinion and facts.

Reaction Score
It is a difficult day. Might be a good idea to take a break from the site for a day or two to let raw emotions cool. I know I'm not up for reading much of the post-mortem right now.

Reaction Score
It is a difficult day. Might be a good idea to take a break from the site for a day or two to let raw emotions cool. I know I'm not up for reading much of the post-mortem right now.
Amen to that! I have sworn off the Conference Realignment board for now. I feel like the plain-jane with a great personality that keeps anxiously waiting for an invitation to the prom only to have my heart broken time and again. While I want UConn to end up somewhere, right now I am so p1ssed at the ACC for alleging that academics would come first only to pick the jock over the nerd I want to see them crash and burn and lose all their big FB programs to other conferences. Yeah, I would still want to end up in the ACC, because in reality by the time this is all done it will be essentially the old Big East only with a new name. Wouldn't be any worse than the old BE before this nonesense all began. But I want to see the ACC plundered and have their bones picked clean by the SEC and BiG12 buzzards.

Venting done...for now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
But I want to see the ACC plundered and have their bones picked clean by the SEC and BiG12 buzzards.

Venting done...for now.

sad-cat.jpg

Reaction Score
Aw, what a cute, sad little kitty. Nothing personal triad, and I have no qualms with the traditional basketball schools. It is the football schools that annoy me. Specifically FSU, Clemson and Miami.

My sense is that the basketball schools voted in Louisville in a misguided effort to keep FSU, Clemson and Miami happy. But if anyone really thinks that if the SEC, Big 12 or BiG come calling that any of those schools, or VT, GT or UVA wouldn't jump even if it means ponying up $50M, they are fools.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Aw, what a cute, sad little kitty. Nothing personal triad, and I have no qualms with the traditional basketball schools. It is the football schools that annoy me. Specifically FSU, Clemson and Miami.

My sense is that the basketball schools voted in Louisville in a misguided effort to keep FSU, Clemson and Miami happy. But if anyone really thinks that if the SEC, Big 12 or BiG come calling that any of those schools, or VT, GT or UVA wouldn't jump even if it means ponying up $50M, they are fools.

I know how you feel kinda.. My old college was part of the old SWC and was abandoned by Texas, TAMU, Baylor, and Texas Tech back in the mid 1990s. The other 3 schools left behind TCU, SMU, and Houston have eventually moved on to bigger conferences while Rice continues to toil in anonymity in Conference USA. Even Tulane eventually got an invite to a big conference... :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BTW, I asked the question earlier about UConn's record vs Louisville and whether Louisville was in fact the "better" football school. Since 2007 UConn is 4-2 head to head against Louisville. A fact the ACC may have over looked. given UConn's relative newness to Div 1 football that is pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
You know the old saying, perception is reality. I truly think it boils down to ACC basketball powers caving into implied threats from fsu, clempson, and miami that if they don't take LV they were gone. They wanted LV because they perceive them to be better. I think they are gone anyway, just a matter of getting the golden ticket to the candy factory.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Louisville is replacing Maryland. Let us review:

- In the past four seasons, Louisville football is 27-22, compared to 17-32 by Maryland. Under Charlie Strong, UL is 23-14 in the past three years, including 9-2 this season. The Cardinals can win the Big East title by defeating Rutgers on Thursday.

- Louisville also has managed to maintain one of the nation's top athletic budgets despite receiving only $3.2 million annually from the Big East's current media-rights deal. The Cardinals' current budget ranks higher than that of any current ACC member. Per the Office of Postsecondary Education's Equity in Athletics, in 2011-2012, Louisville had a budget of $84.4 million. The ACC's highest budget was Florida State ($81.4 million), while Maryland's budget was only $57.5 million.

- In men's basketball, since the 2004-05 school year, Louisville has reached two Final Fours and two Elite Eights. Louisville is also among four current and future ACC schools (Duke, Syracuse and Pittsburgh) that have won 20 or more games in each of the past 10 seasons. Only nine schools in Division I have accomplished this.

- Last year, Louisville basketball averaged 21,503 fans, the nation's third-highest number behind only Syracuse and Kentucky. The city of Louisville also has had the nation's highest-rated college basketball television market in each of the past 10 years.

- Over the past six years, Louisville is the nation's only school that has reached both the men's and women's basketball Final Four, a BCS bowl game, the College World Series and the men's soccer College Cup.

The only issue is academics, as Louisville is ranked relatively low compared to other schools in the ACC and compared with UConn, another candidate the ACC was considering. Athletically, it is a great fit. But it is an academic hit:

US NEWS & WORLD REPORT rankings:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

#8 - Duke
#17 - ND
#21 - Georgetown (but no real football)
#24 - UVA
#27 - WFU
#30 - UNC
#31 - BC
#36 - GT
#44 - Miami
#46 - Penn State
#58 - Syracuse
#58 - Maryland
#58 - Pitt
#63 - UConn
#68 - Clemson
#72 - VTech
#97 - FSU
#106 – NCSU
#139 – Cincinnati
#147 - St. Johns
#160 - U of L
#165 - WVU
Not Ranked - Memphis

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Academically for the ACC, relative to UConn, Louisville is not a hit, it's freaking' Pearl Harbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom