ACC coming for MSG now too | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC coming for MSG now too

Reaction Score
I don't see the ACC or the Big 10 committing to MSG as a permanent conference tournament site. They view MSG as a rotational site, maybe once every 4 or 5 years. Thus, MSG would have a tough decision, become a rotational site or the permanent site of the Big East. I could see the Big East letting the Big 10 have one year out of 5 and the Big East could play that one year in Chicago as the conference has a large group of Midwest schools. (Both conferences are aligned with Fox which could help as well.)

I think Swofford wants to prevent the Big 10 from getting a foothold in NY, but he blew that when he selected Pitt over UConn.

Reaction Score
That guy is claiming he knows for a fact that FS1 wants UConn in the Big East.

Makes sense for them, but not for us. Doesn't seem like there's much substance to this other than letting us daydream.

Non-key tweetland, but at least he's an AP journalist.

Reaction Score
I don't see the ACC or the Big 10 committing to MSG as a permanent conference tournament site. They view MSG as a rotational site, maybe once every 4 or 5 years. Thus, MSG would have a tough decision, become a rotational site or the permanent site of the Big East. I could see the Big East letting the Big 10 have one year out of 5 and the Big East could play that one year in Chicago as the conference has a large group of Midwest schools. (Both conferences are aligned with Fox which could help as well.)

I think Swofford wants to prevent the Big 10 from getting a foothold in NY, but he blew that when he selected Pitt over UConn.

Maybe I'm reading into this comment wrong, but it's not up to the Big East to "let" the B1G have one year out of 5. If MSG can come to terms with the ACC and B1G to alternate years, they can tell the Big East they'll have to work around those dates, or find a new home. The Big East, IMO, has the least bargaining power here.

Reaction Score

Talk about a silly tweet, by the way. Saying an arena sold out is meaningless without the other half of the equation -- what prices could it charge and still sell out.

What UConn fans, with help to be sure from UVA and MSU, did to the aftermarket for Sweet 16 tickets in '14 was astounding. And not something those who care about the money part of college sports will forget any time soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm reading into this comment wrong, but it's not up to the Big East to "let" the B1G have one year out of 5. If MSG can come to terms with the ACC and B1G to alternate years, they can tell the Big East they'll have to work around those dates, or find a new home. The Big East, IMO, has the least bargaining power here.

The Big East is offering to play every year in MSG. The ACC and Big 10 are probably offering 1 year out of 4 or 5. From a business standpoint, you would take the every year offer over the rotational offer, so I think the BE has negotiating leverage. I understand your conversion with “let”. I tried to imply that the BE would work with the Big 10 on an arrangement as it does make sense for the BE to play in Chicago once out of 5 years.

Reaction Score
Without UConn in the Big East, I see this as MSG's future:

Big East
ACC
Big East
Big Ten
Big East
ACC
Big East
Big Ten
*Repeat*

Big East heads to the Midwest in off-MSG years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My guess is that Delaney will reach out ( to the conference that bought the name) the Big East and tell them it's in both their interests to make a combined bid for both MSG and Chicago and keep the ACC out of MSG. It's the smart play and Delaney is always a move ahead.

Reaction Score
To think that Tobacco Road is considering playing their tournament in New York...

Grant and Sherman must be spinning in their graves

Smh

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Speaking of which , on topic too. The Spicy Chicken sandwich you can get outside of Section 119 at MSG is righteous.

halftime BY meetup spot during Cuse game?

Reaction Score
Speaking of which , on topic too. The Spicy Chicken sandwich you can get outside of Section 119 at MSG is righteous.

halftime BY meetup spot during Cuse game?

I’ll be there ~in spirit~

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hypothetical and highly tongue-in-cheek recap of UConn's move to this version of the so-called "Big East" conference. I dare anyone to say all of this wouldn't happen...

April 2019: UConn pays $10M to drop football and hoops to leave AAC in 27 months. Mid-2021...OR...
April 2019: UConn pays ~$12M to drop football and hoops to leave AAC in 12 months. Begin-2020. Let's assume they take this route for ease of realistic (tongue-in-cheek), but incredibly hypothetical, timeline.
July 2019: AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco announces new TV/Media Stream deal for AAC that will pay members $7M/per school, per year, across multiple platforms and also allowing schools to retain their own Tier 3 stream/media rights.

*Beginning of 2020: $12M exit fee - $5M/per school from Big East payment; UConn in red $7M - all other things remaining equal. UConn plays Big East Conf tourney at MSG. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans are happy. Everyone else wishes we had more money to fend off the rumors of dozens of P5 schools from poaching Dan Hurley. New AAC member UMass is also rumored to be enamored with Hurley and can afford to outbid UConn with their newly acquired influx of cash.
*End of 2020: Madison Square Garden announces they will opt out of Big East tourney agreement following the 2022 season. High stakes bidding between B1G10 & ACC ensues. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans are livid.
**Also end of 2020: Following a Sweet 16 tournament run at UConn, Dan Hurley announces that he is resigning as head coach to be "closer with his family".
**2 weeks later: Rutgers University is excited to announce the hiring of Dan Hurley as its new men's basketball head coach. "We are excited to bring Coach Hurley and his family back home to New Jersey," Rutgers AD 'The Situation' said. "This move not only pays me more money than what UConn could afford, but I also get to coach against Seton Hall at a place that would actually be excited to see us schedule Seton Hall," new Rutgers Coach Dan Hurley said.
**1 month later: After an exhaustive and expensive search firm panel recommendation, new UConn AD Warde Manuel 2.0 makes the following announcement: "We would first like to thank our state's elected officials for bonding us the required $1,000,000 to hire Mike Tranghese Associates to conduct our coach search. After a thorough and extensive process, we are excited to introduce Dave Leitao as our new men's basketball head coach. Coach Leitao's ties to UConn, his resume at Big East powerhouse DePaul, and the fact that he'd accept a salary of less than $50,000/year were essential to this hire. We listened to our fanbase and wanted to ensure stability with this hire, so we are also excited to announce that we have included a $10M buyout clause of Coach Leitao's contract. Ironically, we have already been contacted by Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College, UMass, Pitt, and Virginia about the buyout. Apparently, all of those schools have more money than they know what to do with. Must be nice."

*Beginning 2021: ACC announces deal with MSG to begin conference tourney games beginning in 2023.
UConn in red $2M - all other things remaining equal. UConn plays in its 2nd conference tournament at MSG. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans want to leave the Big East, bring back football, and go to the ACC before it's too late.

2022: FS1 airs a tearful 3 minute lead-in to its final telecast of the Big East conference tournament at MSG. Celine Dion and Bette Middler are asked to sing a Big East sendoff but both decline. Strapped for cash, the Big East settles on Drake to sing. UConn finally in green $3M - all other things remaining equal.
End of 2022: Big East commissioner Jeff Hathaway announces that the Big East has come to an agreement to play its conference tournament games at the beautiful newly redesigned Villanova Pavilion. "It was always important to us to reward our most loyal schools for their unwavering continued support of Big East basketball", Hathaway said. "Plus, we had nowhere else to go after the unfortunate XL Center roof collapse."

May 2023: The Power 6 conferences announce a new gazillion, bazillion dollar deal to break away from the rest of college athletics to form their own football/basketball hybrid crossover challenge. All football and all basketball games will be aired across all channels on all cable and stream platforms. Run in a similar manner as the old Capital One Cup, the winner of each year's challenge will get to personally hand select a non-P6 school to blow up, pave over, and construct a parking garage.
June 2023: UMass and Boston College announce a joint acquisition of Gilette Stadium and surrounding properties from the Kraft Family Estate, valued at an estimated gazillion trazillion dollars. "It has always been a matter of turf", BC's Father Aiden Leahy said. "And we are humbled to share that turf with the only other New England school that we have ever felt threatened by. Plus we both have more money than we know what to do with."
July 2023: Villanova announces that they will play football and have accepted an invitation to join Power 6 conference AAC for the 2024 season. "While we are saddened to have lost our most beloved member," Big East Commissioner Hathaway said. "We are also excited that nobody cares about our conference any more and likely won't notice that Villanova left." UConn officials also announce that they have re-hired Mike Tranghese Associates to conduct a 10 year study on the feasibility of re-adding football.
August 2023: Big East Commissioner Jeff Hathaway announces that original Big East 3.0 conference members - DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, St John's, Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Providence, and Georgetown have all added football and have accepted invitations to join Power 6 conference AAC once the FOX/FS1 Big East contract expires. "It's probably 10 years too early for us to comment on adding football back," UConn AD Warde Manuel 2.0 said. "But I promise you this: we will spend alot of unnecessary money that we don't have so that I can continue making these vague statements in the future."
September 2023: Warde Manuel 2.0 steps down from his role as UConn AD to pursue his dream job of emptying the spittoon at Michigan football practices. Acting UConn President Mark Emmert Jr. announces that Jeff Hathaway will resume his role as acting UConn AD. "There is no conflict of interest here because there is no interest left in UConn or the Big East," Hathaway said. "I don't even know who is paying me. Is it UConn or the Big East or Emmert Jr's side hustle or the Power 6 Capital One Cup Selection Committee? I don't know, but it doesn't matter. We're folding all sports at UConn and going back to agricultural only course offerings."

2033: Mike Tranghese Associates recommends that UConn upgrades football again. "Have you seen how much money UMass has made in the AAC after they replaced UConn?," Tranghese Associates' spokesperson Tom Jurich said. "They have bought out the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, and Boston College in the past 10 years alone. Also, can you believe that my 2011 Louisville pact with the devil has kept me alive for this long?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hypothetical and highly tongue-in-cheek recap of UConn's move to this version of the so-called "Big East" conference. I dare anyone to say all of this wouldn't happen...

April 2019: UConn pays $10M to drop football and hoops to leave AAC in 27 months. Mid-2021...OR...
April 2019: UConn pays ~$12M to drop football and hoops to leave AAC in 12 months. Begin-2020. Let's assume they take this route for ease of realistic (tongue-in-cheek), but incredibly hypothetical, timeline.
July 2019: AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco announces new TV/Media Stream deal for AAC that will pay members $7M/per school, per year, across multiple platforms and also allowing schools to retain their own Tier 3 stream/media rights.

*Beginning of 2020: $12M exit fee - $5M/per school from Big East payment; UConn in red $7M - all other things remaining equal. UConn plays Big East Conf tourney at MSG. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans are happy. Everyone else wishes we had more money to fend off the rumors of dozens of P5 schools from poaching Dan Hurley. New AAC member UMass is also rumored to be enamored with Hurley and can afford to outbid UConn with their newly acquired influx of cash.
*End of 2020: Madison Square Garden announces they will opt out of Big East tourney agreement following the 2022 season. High stakes bidding between B1G10 & ACC ensues. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans are livid.
**Also end of 2020: Following a Sweet 16 tournament run at UConn, Dan Hurley announces that he is resigning as head coach to be "closer with his family".
**2 weeks later: Rutgers University is excited to announce the hiring of Dan Hurley as its new men's basketball head coach. "We are excited to bring Coach Hurley and his family back home to New Jersey," Rutgers AD 'The Situation' said. "This move not only pays me more money than what UConn could afford, but I also get to coach against Seton Hall at a place that would actually be excited to see us schedule Seton Hall," new Rutgers Coach Dan Hurley said.
**1 month later: After an exhaustive and expensive search firm panel recommendation, new UConn AD Warde Manuel 2.0 makes the following announcement: "We would first like to thank our state's elected officials for bonding us the required $1,000,000 to hire Mike Tranghese Associates to conduct our coach search. After a thorough and extensive process, we are excited to introduce Dave Leitao as our new men's basketball head coach. Coach Leitao's ties to UConn, his resume at Big East powerhouse DePaul, and the fact that he'd accept a salary of less than $50,000/year were essential to this hire. We listened to our fanbase and wanted to ensure stability with this hire, so we are also excited to announce that we have included a $10M buyout clause of Coach Leitao's contract. Ironically, we have already been contacted by Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College, UMass, Pitt, and Virginia about the buyout. Apparently, all of those schools have more money than they know what to do with. Must be nice."

*Beginning 2021: ACC announces deal with MSG to begin conference tourney games beginning in 2023.
UConn in red $2M - all other things remaining equal. UConn plays in its 2nd conference tournament at MSG. Nostalgic UConn Big East fans want to leave the Big East, bring back football, and go to the ACC before it's too late.

2022: FS1 airs a tearful 3 minute lead-in to its final telecast of the Big East conference tournament at MSG. Celine Dion and Bette Middler are asked to sing a Big East sendoff but both decline. Strapped for cash, the Big East settles on Drake to sing. UConn finally in green $3M - all other things remaining equal.
End of 2022: Big East commissioner Jeff Hathaway announces that the Big East has come to an agreement to play its conference tournament games at the beautiful newly redesigned Villanova Pavilion. "It was always important to us to reward our most loyal schools for their unwavering continued support of Big East basketball", Hathaway said. "Plus, we had nowhere else to go after the unfortunate XL Center roof collapse."

May 2023: The Power 6 conferences announce a new gazillion, bazillion dollar deal to break away from the rest of college athletics to form their own football/basketball hybrid crossover challenge. All football and all basketball games will be aired across all channels on all cable and stream platforms. Run in a similar manner as the old Capital One Cup, the winner of each year's challenge will get to personally hand select a non-P6 school to blow up, pave over, and construct a parking garage.
June 2023: UMass and Boston College announce a joint acquisition of Gilette Stadium and surrounding properties from the Kraft Family Estate, valued at an estimated gazillion trazillion dollars. "It has always been a matter of turf", BC's Father Aiden Leahy said. "And we are humbled to share that turf by the only other New England school that we have ever felt threatened by. Plus we both have more money than we know what to do with."
July 2023: Villanova announces that they will play football and have accepted an invitation to join Power 6 conference AAC for the 2024 season. "While we are saddened to have lost our most beloved member," Big East Commissioner Hathaway said. "We are also excited that nobody cares about our conference any more and likely won't notice that Villanova left." UConn officials also announce that they have re-hired Mike Tranghese Associates to conduct a 10 year study on the feasibility of re-adding football.
August 2023: Big East Commissioner Jeff Hathaway announces that original Big East 3.0 conference members - DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, St John's, Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Providence, and Georgetown have all added football and have accepted invitations to join Power 6 conference AAC once the FOX/FS1 Big East contract expires. "It's probably 10 years too early for us to comment on adding football back," UConn AD Warde Manuel 2.0 said. "But I promise you this: we will spend alot of unnecessary money that we don't have so that I can continue making these vague statements in the future."
September 2023: Warde Manuel 2.0 steps down from his role as UConn AD to pursue his dream job of emptying the spittoon at Michigan football practices. Acting UConn President Mark Emmert Jr. announces that Jeff Hathaway will resume his role as acting UConn AD. "There is no conflict of interest here because there is no interest left in UConn or the Big East," Hathaway said. "I don't even know who is paying me. Is it UConn or the Big East or Emmert Jr's side hustle or the Power 6 Capital One Cup Selection Committee? I don't know, but it doesn't matter. We're folding all sports at UConn and going back to agricultural only course offerings."

2033: Mike Tranghese Associates recommends that UConn upgrades football again. "Have you seen how much money UMass has made in the AAC after they replaced UConn?," Tranghese Associates' spokesperson Tom Jurich said. "They have bought out the Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, and Boston College in the past 10 years alone. Also, can you believe that my 2011 Louisville pact with the devil has kept me alive for this long?"

Lol luv u @Dooley but I sense a whole lot of pent up “passive” aggressiveness at the “UConn belongs in the NBE” crowd coming out here.

If FS1 wants us that bad, they can help us arrange an indy football schedule full of Big 10 and Big 12 schools and pay us to broadcast the bowl we host every year at Fenway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I won't reply to my own post but out of curiosity I dug in a bit on the "greater geographical claim" question.

The closest school from both conferences is Rutgers, obviously.

Then Maryland.

The next closest after Maryland is BC.

Then Penn State.

Then Syracuse.

So I don't think there is any question that the B1G has a stronger geographic claim to NYC than the ACC does.

It's not just the alums from the nearby schools that matter either. I remember how large the Georgetown contingent was at the Big East Tournament in the 80's and 90's because they had so many grads working in the City. Same for schools like Michigan and others in the B1G with great academic reputations.
Sure, Duke and some in the AXX may have a good number of alums living in the City, but the B1G probably has more.
As to what UConn brings, just remember the Final Eight game with Michigan State in 2014.

Reaction Score
Lol luv u @Dooley but I sense a whole lot of pent up “passive” aggressiveness at the “UConn belongs in the NBE

If FS1 wants us that bad, they can help us arrange an indy football schedule full of Big 10 and Big 12 schools and pay us to broadcast the bowl we host every year at Fenway.

Kohler would probably jump at the chance to be the Title Sponsor for the bowl game too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom