ACC coming for MSG now too | The Boneyard

ACC coming for MSG now too

Reaction Score
Thread from a while back on B1G wanting to play in MSG, and now it appears ACC wants a piece of MSG too:

Big East Tournament gets more competition for MSG venue
The Big East has more than the Big Ten to worry about. The ACC is also interested in bringing its postseason tournament to the Garden, and conference commissioner John Swofford has been speaking to executives there, sources told The Post.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany created headlines at his league’s media day a few weeks ago when he told reporters the conference had presented the Garden with a plan he believes would “elevate” the arena regarding the college basketball postseason.

The Big East has a contract with the Garden to hold its tournament through the 2026 season, though there is an opt-out following 2022, sources said.

Reaction Score
Who will save the Big East...

Link
1540566403178.png

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Of course the ACC is coming after Madison Square Garden. They would be tremendously foolish not to - MSG is up for the taking. And I will hate to disappoint folks who think UConn could magically save the Big East - we can't. ACC is far too powerful and has far too much money to not win this battle.

A better play here would be for the ACC to bring UConn on-board somehow. A lineup of UConn & Cuse (the two traditional MSG heavyweights) with UNC, Duke (strong NJ presence), Notre Dame, Pitt, etc would be waaaaaay too strong for the Big East to fend off.

Make no mistake, the P5 will come after basketball money soon enough. All non-P5 conferences are on very thin ice.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is just my opinion. I don't see the Big East staying at MSG for much longer. The Garden would rather have UNC, Duke, Syracuse then Villanova, Providence, Xavier.

1000% correct. The Big East is going to eventually lose this one regardless of whether or not UConn is in the conference.

Reaction Score
This is just my opinion. I don't see the Big East staying at MSG for much longer. The Garden would rather have UNC, Duke, Syracuse then Villanova, Providence, Xavier.

Maybe. Having grown up in the heart of ACC country, it feels strange to associate the ACC with MSG. There's no question that folks from some of the schools travel well...but I still feel like it's a miss. Having it in Greensboro was always fun - the proximity to so many schools. Atlanta makes sense. But NY? I suppose it would be good for Syracuse fans - but it almost feels like the conference would need to add another local institution of higher learning for it to make sense. The MSG and NBE still makes sense to me - it's their hood.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
If they all want it bad enough it can work
  1. Big 10, Big East, and ACC all rotate through MSG every three years.
  2. Whatever conference has MSG for the post season tournament agrees to add UConn as a BBall member for that season.
  3. UConn owns the rights to all their home games, ACC/Big10/BigEast pay us to air those conference match ups on their networks during the season they adopt us.
  4. The craziest conference realignment scheme you've read since 2012? or the craziest like a fox?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Big East isn’t keeping MSG. It’s that simple.

It would be nice if the B1G and ACC fought over UConn in their fight for MSG, but that’s a pipe dream.

We might be better off with the BE laying eggs in the garden. I dont really want to see either the B1G or ACC having a good time there.

The BE should look at the Pru Center in Newark.

Reaction Score
That guy is claiming he knows for a fact that FS1 wants UConn in the Big East.

Makes sense for them, but not for us. Doesn't seem like there's much substance to this other than letting us daydream.

Reaction Score
I'm just guessing, but I would think rotating would maximize the revenue to MSG and New York from hosting.

It would be great if somehow this helped us. But, as we've learned, most likely it just kicks us again somehow.

Reaction Score
That guy is claiming he knows for a fact that FS1 wants UConn in the Big East.

Makes sense for them, but not for us. Doesn't seem like there's much substance to this other than letting us daydream.

I don't think there is any doubt that Fox would want us in the Big East. Whether the Catholics do -- knowing that we want out for football from the moment we walk in -- is another thing entirely. Much less whether we would be choosing a temporary solution that in the long term is a guaranteed death sentence.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How many schools from the big 10 and ACC would have their fan bases travel? Maybe 4 in each, if that. And for the Big East, maybe 6 teams due to proximity if they can get their crap together. UConn added to either conference is nothing but a benefit

Reaction Score
It's the Big East. Not the Catholics. You use it as a pejorative.

No, I don't use it as a pejorative. I use it to distinguish the fact that I have never taken for granted that a group of urban Catholic institutions see enough in common with a state flagship to think that bringing it in to the conference is in their interests. Plus, notwithstanding their purchase price, I try not to use the name "Big East" to describe the conference now being televised by Fox because, to me, that is simply not the Big East.

But feel free to instead decide that I'm an anti-Catholic bigot. I would only ask that you not tell my wife and her side of the family that, as it may hinder Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, I don't use it as a pejorative. I use it to distinguish the fact that I have never taken for granted that a group of urban Catholic institutions see enough in common with a state flagship to think that a bringing it in to the conference is in their interests. Plus, notwithstanding their purchase price, I try not to use the name "Big East" to describe the conference now being televised by Fox because, to me, that is simply not the Big East.

But feel free to instead decide that I'm an anti-Catholic bigot. I would only ask that you not tell my wife and her side of the family that, as it may hinder Thanksgiving.
I deleted my post. It was unnecessary and I'm sorry to you for a wrong sentiment. I enjoy your contributions here.

That term for the conference just annoys me.

Reaction Score
I agree that the Big East is unlikely to hold MSG in perpetuity ... but when that day comes, all else equal, I cannot see MSG choosing the ACC over the B1G.

The B1G as a conference has proven to be more marketable, the schools have larger alumni base, bigger brands, maybe even greater geographic claim. I just don't see the ACC being more appealing to MSG or TV sponsors.

For all of those who will argue the Duke / NC being a greater TV draw than whoever the top 2 of the B1G would be ... that is true. What the B1G does have is a "meaty middle" of UM, Mich State, OSU, Maryland, Indiana, Wisky ... these are all immensely marketable programs with huge local alumni bases. Ironically though, the most local team (Rutgers) would likely be the least attractive to MSG / TV / sponsors.

Not to mention that Duke / Syracuse / Louisville all have some clouds on the horizon (either due to potential sanctions, or HOF coaching changes, or both). What is the likelihood that each of these schools have even brighter days ahead than their most recent success?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="UConnStats, post: 2890871, member: 5842"]That guy is claiming he knows for a fact that FS1 wants UConn in the Big East.

Makes sense for them, but not for us. Doesn't seem like there's much substance to this other than letting us daydream.[/QUOTE]

Groundbreaking stuff right there

Reaction Score
I won't reply to my own post but out of curiosity I dug in a bit on the "greater geographical claim" question.

The closest school from both conferences is Rutgers, obviously.

Then Maryland.

The next closest after Maryland is BC.

Then Penn State.

Then Syracuse.

So I don't think there is any question that the B1G has a stronger geographic claim to NYC than the ACC does.

Reaction Score
I won't reply to my own post but out of curiosity I dug in a bit on the "greater geographical claim" question.

The closest school from both conferences is Rutgers, obviously.

Then Maryland.

The next closest after Maryland is BC.

Then Penn State.

Then Syracuse.

So I don't think there is any question that the B1G has a stronger geographic claim to NYC than the ACC does.

True with the geographics but NJ is really Dook country. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Dook fans in NJ than Rutgers fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom