ACC and SEC: overrated | The Boneyard

ACC and SEC: overrated

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How many people at the start of the season would've predicted that the Big Ten would humble the ACC 9-5 in the challenge?

Or, even more surprisingly, that the Big 12 would embarrass the SEC by a score of 8-2?

Let's not get fooled by the hype. Those two conferences are not what they're cracked up to be.

And just as I type this, I see that Missouri lost to UMKC.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And then there's what UConn is doing to Notre Dame right now. Domers are gonna be under .500 for the first time since...who knows how long it's been?

Plebe

Reaction Score
And then there's what UConn is doing to Notre Dame right now. Domers are gonna be under .500 for the first time since...who knows how long it's been?
To be fair, Notre Dame has played a difficult schedule, and all those losses are probably to top-50 teams. No Hawai'i or UMKC losses in there.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To be fair, Notre Dame has played a difficult schedule, and all those losses are probably to top-50 teams. No Hawai'i or UMKC losses in there.

Probably overscheduled. Muffet thought she'd have Young back but was still definitely losing 4 starters. Pus the injury bug has bit them again.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Probably overscheduled. Muffet thought she'd have Young back but was still definitely losing 4 starters. Pus the injury bug has bit them again.
I know I keep saying this, but they'll be immensely better right away when Vaughn comes back. And of course they're gonna get coached up a lot. They're just taking a lot of lumps right now. And they've still figured out how to beat Michigan and South Florida, which will probably prove to be somewhat significant wins.

Reaction Score
Missouri lost to UMKC.

source.gif

SEC just was extremely lost this weekend as an entire conference. Hell SC looked awful against Temple, but they did win. LSU sends a fruit basket to the big 12 offices for contributing this weekend.

A&M did their jobs so congrats to them.

Reaction Score
source.gif

SEC just was extremely lost this weekend as an entire conference. Hell SC looked awful against Temple, but they did win. LSU sends a fruit basket to the big 12 offices for contributing this weekend.

A&M did their jobs so congrats to them.
I was disappointed in our lost. But then the football team did their part. But I did feel more iffy about this game than Florida State(lost), Rutger, and Michigan State. Only because OU shoots a lot of 3s. But they seem to do more than just shoot.

Plebe

Reaction Score
For the ACC, NC State and Florida State has done really well.
Congrats to them. That's 2 out of 15 teams. A little over 10 percent!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How many people at the start of the season would've predicted that the Big Ten would humble the ACC 9-5 in the challenge?

Or, even more surprisingly, that the Big 12 would embarrass the SEC by a score of 8-2?

Let's not get fooled by the hype. Those two conferences are not what they're cracked up to be.

And just as I type this, I see that Missouri lost to UMKC.

Pretty dreadful showing by the SEC. I had high hopes for the conference this year (still do) but am not fully surprised by the slow start considering the league was pretty mediocre a year ago. Tennessee/Mississippi State are very young and look drastically different from a year ago. Kentucky is still young, A&M just wasn't that strong a year ago so not surprised they don't appear to be a F4 threat. SC looks good.

Everyone appears to be streaky this season. Lots of parity and the landscape in women's basketball may be shifting a bit. I'd love for the Big 10 to emerge as a dangerous conference since it has been far behind other P5 conferences this decade. Would also enjoy seeing Big 12 look more competitive as it has been the Baylor show this decade (9 straight titles).

Plebe

Reaction Score
December 7, 2003. As announced on the broadcast.

Plebe

Reaction Score
At the risk of contradicting myself, I can't help but shake my head at how unexpected and anomalous a few of these results were:

Texas, after getting blown out by Arizona and losing to Hawaii, wins at Knoxville over a seemingly improved Tennessee team.

West Virginia, after losing to Creighton in Cancun, wins at Starkville.

Oklahoma, after looking completely dysfunctional in losses at Houston, Wichita State and Western Kentucky, blows out an LSU team that had looked fairly tough to beat.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
At the risk of contradicting myself, I can't help but shake my head at how unexpected and anomalous a few of these results were:

Maybe you're in the same position I found myself in last night. It's been really hard to accurately predict results of games this season.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
That's why we should switch to an ACC/SEC showdown instead. To tell just who's more overrated between the 2.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Texas, after getting blown out by Arizona and losing to Hawaii, wins at Knoxville over a seemingly improved Tennessee team.

Oklahoma, after looking completely dysfunctional in losses at Houston, Wichita State and Western Kentucky, blows out an LSU team that had looked fairly tough to beat.

Texas and OU have talent, theyve just underachieved so far, so I'm not shocked by those wins. Tennessee/MSU are both essentially very different teams too so quality of play is going to vary at this point in the year. As a greater example, #1 Stanford barely beat Cal Baptist who appears to be quite awful. No one seems fully immune from up and down play early this season. Guessing itll mellow out by Feb but inconsistency has been the biggest storyline this year IMO.

Reaction Score

Connecticut has shown a little more consistency. They have consistently won every game they’ve played. (No biggie, but it’s somethin’)

Reaction Score
There will be a lot of fugly games in the SEC this year. A lot of wretched teams. South Carolina is the clear favorite, but even they look shaky at times.

Reaction Score

I always said OU had some very very talented players but never played up to their potential or was well coached. They played as a team this past weekend. Issue is this seems to not be the norm for them. Kinda like hanging with UCONN last year but end up being a terrible team overall. I feel its going to be more of the same again, well thats what history says.

I was honestly shocked WVU won after I thought maybe State would take the next step playing a well coached and talented Stanford team. WVU always have very solid and strong teams, but their physicality overwhelmed MSU today on their home court. MSU looks to be a team right now with some talented Youngsters but zero identity or chemistry. What made MSU so good over the years was how stout they were defensively and their ability to rebound, this current crop is too soft right now. They don't rebound and they don't have a clue offensively other than dribbling until someone gets open.

Texas winning isn't all that shocking. There is still talent and potential on that team, but like OU, they never seem to play up to that potential. Tennessee's glaring offensive woes from last season can to fruition again today. Of course, Tennessee has not been challenged outside of playing a very limited and not very good ND team. Tennessee was over rated to begin with.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Looks like Muffet agrees with you:

"I think we can definitely get a lot better. We just have to figure out how we're going to score. We haven't been able to play great defense. We hoped to be good in January; that was our goal. The biggest problem is the schedule. We really overscheduled because we like to play really good teams, and this team wasn't ready for our schedule. And it's not going to get easier."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Muffet agrees with you:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. :rolleyes: (I'm referring to me being right about something, not meant as a dig at Muffet)

Reaction Score
"I think we can definitely get a lot better. We just have to figure out how we're going to score. We haven't been able to play great defense. We hoped to be good in January; that was our goal. The biggest problem is the schedule. We really overscheduled because we like to play really good teams, and this team wasn't ready for our schedule. And it's not going to get easier."

Given the state of the team due to departures and injuries. The schedule does them no favors and they prob did go a bit much on the schedule. Its a bit beyond what they can handle right now. That said, Kudos to MM for doing it. They will not have a good record this year but this should help those young players in the long run. Tough situation for those young players.

I've been extremely impressed with Peoples and Gilbert. Brunelle needs more help but she is very talented. Just don't have the bodies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC isn't overrated this season because it was predicted to be a down and a transition season for the conference.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping that the poor showings by the ACC and SEC will open up more Tournament Slots for non P5 Teams. As conference play starts and teams beat each other up, we'll continue to hear how tough the ACC and SEC are, and teams with 500 or lower conference records still deserve to be in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Now Brunelle is out the whole 2nd half against UConn with some sort of knee injury....

Edit: They're saying she could have played if necessary, but just leaving her out as a precaution since the game is out of hand.
I thought that SAM being out was a 2 fer for MM. Sam wasn't greatly effective and the game was a blow out for Uc. So why risk the high value talent in a very losing game. Sam Brunnel shall show her stuff before the season ends, some talent you just can't keep down--look at Megan/Aubrey!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom