Academic Qualifications | The Boneyard

Academic Qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A thread had said that we need to work on our academic qualifications to get in the big. What is it we're lacking? I had read also that we are not a AAU school , curious what that stands for as I know its not the amateur athletic union. And what can we do to achieve that standing and how long would it take and why we are not AAU already.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
A thread had said that we need to work on our academic qualifications to get in the big. What is it we're lacking? I had read also that we are not a AAU school , curious what that stands for as I know its not the amateur athletic union. And what can we do to achieve that standing and how long would it take and why we are not AAU already.

I think it's time the Boneyard had an entrance exam.

Reaction Score
On a similar note, a colleague who I ran into wanted to know why UConn wasn't already in the ACC & what would it take to get the University in a.s.a.p.:(

Reaction Score
On a similar note, a colleague who I ran into wanted to know why UConn wasn't already in the ACC & what would it take to get the University in a.s.a.p.:(

I hope you told him we're destined for B1Gger things.

Reaction Score
I hope you told him we're destined for B1Gger things.
Exactly right. We had a lengthy conversation over lunch. I understood where he was coming from, as he's a hoops fanatic & dazzled by the tobacco road tradition. I countered with the Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, Michigan blueblood history in hoops. I mentioned how UConn is trying to get AAU status & that the B1G is predominantly large public state flagship schools like UConn, so it's a better fit.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
What is it we're lacking?
Fake classes

Seriously though I believe AAU is more about research and thus graduate-level education, which obviously has next to zero influence on/by incoming athletes. UConn already has very high academic standards for student-students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like to add that UConn would already be in the middle of the pack for most AAU statistics, so it is just a matter of time.

Reaction Score
Screw you west Hartford husky. Entrance Exam my ass.Trying to learn somthing that's all. Thanks for your help to a fellow husky balloon knot. Mightier than thou are you. Jerk.

Reaction Score
Thanks uconn dan. For some reason could not come up with that. By the way noeynox your not to smart yourself.One thing for sure I would make a hell of a better asst coach than you .I played college football. Did you? NO.

Reaction Score
lighten up dude. Just having fun. The response was alluding to Donyell Marshall not getting the assistant coaching job that went to Ricky Moore. Everyone gets their stones busted on this board. No exceptionS!

Reaction Score
Got ya noey. My curiosity as to why mich. , ohio st and so on are aau (I know what it means now) and we are not. We've been around as long as those guys . Legit ? In my mind. We must be working to get the academic thing right. How far away are we. The big require's this for inclusion? How about the ACC. Pitt and the cuse can't be ahead of us . How about rutty. If those schools have the AAU creditation I'm stumped as we don't. Where the heck have we been then?

pj

Reaction Score
Got ya noey. My curiosity as to why mich. , ohio st and so on are aau (I know what it means now) and we are not. We've been around as long as those guys . Legit ? In my mind. We must be working to get the academic thing right. How far away are we. The big require's this for inclusion? How about the ACC. Pitt and the cuse can't be ahead of us . How about rutty. If those schools have the AAU creditation I'm stumped as we don't. Where the heck have we been then?

In New England, private universities (eg Ivy League) did most of the research. In the rest of the country, state schools did most of it. Because so many local kids went to private schools, New England states made minimal investments in state universities compared to other parts of the country. UConn started investing in the school and in research, as well as athletics, about 25 years ago. That's too short a period to match schools that have been investing for 150 years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Lack of AAU status is just another example of failed past Administrations at UCONN. Aside from Lew Perkins, nobody prior to Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst sought to expand and grow UCONN. Had the recently passed $1.5B bill to expand research occurred 20-30 years ago, we are probably in the AAU today. Herbst is playing catch-up for failed past Presidents. Another source of concern with CR: endowment. Ours is embarrassingly low for a flagship public ivy (less than $400M). When you factor that most AAU (maybe all?) have close to or over $1B, we have to play catch up there too (hence President Herbst recently hiring Emory University's fundraiser). Herbst is doing remarkable work to expand and grow UCONN in her short tenure. Sadly, past Presidents dropped the ball and failed to recognize the tremendous potential in UCONN.

I think it's all part of a 3-5 year plan. AAU status, improve national academic ranking, Endowment closer to $1B, regain competitive football product, expand football stadium, complete basketball facility, look into on-campus Gampel expansion/renovation, XL Center renovation, and Jackson Lab/research expansion. I'd also LOVE to see the state approve funding for transportation to/from campus (ex - bus lane?, rail system, expand lanes on 44 and 195) to allow for a greater flow of traffic (perhaps for a future on-campus football stadium??).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn has been playing hardball to improve the academic standing of the university for a while now - Herbst is doing great work, but she's building (nicely) on the momentum that was already here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For some reason the WV forum lit up yesterday on B1G possibilities, with strong sentiment for UConn if the ACC GOR proves solid. See about halfway down page: posts from Buffalo Lion, Buckianeer, PlainsandLakes, Gopher1968. It's all just words, but I kinda got warm fuzzies reading it.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=12603985&p=1

Anyway, in the opinion of the PSU/OSU posters there, research dollars trump AAU (and in their opinion, AAU may be a foregone conclusion in near term anyway).

Reaction Score
Thanks guys, great info. I also like Herbst and for what I know think she's doing a good job and is trying to move as fast as she can. How is WM doing? I really liked the Disco hiring. Hope he does great things for us.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thanks guys, great info. I also like Herbst and for what I know think she's doing a good job and is trying to move as fast as she can. How is WM doing? I really liked the Disco hiring. Hope he does great things for us.

I think Warde is doing a good job. His Bob Diaco hire immediately gave positive national buzz to a program that just finished 3-9 and hasn't been to a bowl since the Fiesta. He extended Ollie and Geno, raised funding to complete the basketball facility, and re-established relations with UCONN's biggest donors. Warde gets a lot of flak for "monitoring" and, in my opinion, it is unwarranted. There is a night and day difference between Jeff Hathaway (perhaps UCONN's worst AD of all-time) and Warde Manuel.

Reaction Score
For some reason the WV forum lit up yesterday on B1G possibilities, with strong sentiment for UConn if the ACC GOR proves solid. See about halfway down page: posts from Buffalo Lion, Buckianeer, PlainsandLakes, Gopher1968. It's all just words, but I kinda got warm fuzzies reading it.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=12603985&p=1

Anyway, in the opinion of the PSU/OSU posters there, research dollars trump AAU (and in their opinion, AAU may be a foregone conclusion in near term anyway).
Thanks for posting. The fantasy threads still make me feel good even if i know they don't mean jack. Guess it's good to still be mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom