Absolutely Beautiful Music - Round 2 | The Boneyard

Absolutely Beautiful Music - Round 2

Reaction Score
I really liked the thread we had a few months ago on music that we felt was gorgeous. So I figured why not a round 2 to help fill the gap before the ladies resume their play.

Here's one from Boz Scaggs that I feel falls nicely into this bucket:

Reaction Score
Regardless of one's spiritual beliefs, beautiful music is beautiful music. I'm a rock & roller at heart, but I caught the song below as I was channel-surfing on Christmas eve and it nearly left me in tears. I wish I could always be seven on Christmas eve.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It sometimes seems this masters natural dream state was a beautiful melody. Unfortunately for so many who play his melodies, because of his incredibly large hands, few can actually play it as written. Most have to roll many of the chords. Some such as Rubinstein merely tossed those notes from the score. This is just one example, from one of his last compositions. I've always seen it as a concerto, although in one movement. This is merely one of its beautiful variations.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here's one from "Papa". A melody that has run through my head for years. Originally a chorale it's arranged wonderfully here for orchestra.

Reaction Score
Sofie was 13 when she sang this song.
She wound up as the overall winner that year. Edith Piaf reincarnated.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a childhood friend just a short while ago so when I saw this music thread this song came to mind right away.
I know there are others here who appreciate Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention.
This video includes some of their story.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Heard this song played on Billions a couple nights ago. A bit unnerving.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wish I remember what I did in the other thread, but I don't. I'll try not to repeat myself. Just introduced my dad to Kate Rusby and he was quite taken with her voice, so she has at least 2 fans here in Washington.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Hovhaness was an interesting guy. When he was about 30, he burned most of his manuscripts, comprising hundreds of pieces. Even with all that, he was probably the most prolific composer of the 20th century and I'm sure the most prolific American composer. You hit upon my favorite piece of his, and, I think, the only album of his I own. He was almost ambient before Eno created ambient music.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one is from one of the first LPs, "Masterpieces by Ellington." The 78 limited a piece to about 3-4 minutes, so all of Ellington's early recordings were abridged versions. The advent of the LP allowed him to record concert versions of his pieces. I first heard this when I was about 12; I found the CD around 25 years ago and just about wore it out. It's still one of my absolute favorites.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In keeping with Bigboote's Ellington theme, here is one I love.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom