OT: - Above Ground Pools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Above Ground Pools

Reaction Score
I've always been intrigued by modpools where you have a sloped yard. They are recycled storage containers. Can be above ground, below ground, or in between. You can do glass sides which could be cool... or gross. You can do more than one container.

As I mentioned above, we took the cheaper, easier path with the hot tub, but I'm looking forward to it arriving.

1623094906807.png

Reaction Score
For simple inground, do a fiberglass pool. In the future if you do not want it anymore, you can have it removed and possibly resell it. Very easy to keep clean, no liner or cracking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds similar. Last time it sold I should have just moved across the street.

View attachment 67880
You definitely should have gotten this place. The BY summer party potential is epic. Just make sure no one brings a golf cart.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No ladders? Isn’t that code?

It has steps, and used to have a ladder. May have been out for the picture. The landscaping around the water slide is overgrown in this picture too. New owners have fixed that.

Reaction Score
Coincidentally enough, this article with comparison pictures of Pocono and Catskill resorts in their prime vs. now appeared in my feed today.
Sad and tragic to see the decay.

My parents first met at Grossinger's in 1947 at a singles dance. Yes, they had those then. Today, it's a lot of online meeting, I guess.

In an eerie way, people travel to see these places firsthand , almost like viewing a bomb crater that is all that is left from what was once magnificent and teeming with people.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have a pool. The kids enjoy it for about 60 days a year. The other days it sucks. Frankly, it sucks on those 60 days too, but at least someone enjoys it.
Then you are doing it wrong.

My pool is used from late May to mid September and daily maintenance takes roughly 3 minutes. 10 when I need to vacuum.

The main issues with getting a pool this year are cost of materials and Pool builder schedule. Also the fire at Bio-Labs has caused the price of stabilized chlorine (tablets, pucks, granular) to increase by a factor of 4, and liquid by at least 50%.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I considered having a nice below ground pool put in. But I live on ledge and discussions with a neighbor who had it done suggested that the cost could spiral out of control. So we redid the kitchen.

This current heatwave has me considering an above ground pool. We have a neighbor with one, and have enjoyed floating in it while listening to music and drinking beers. As I look at these I’m torn between (a) nah, these are hideous and destroy your yard (b) maybe the inflatable kind, I can put in the shed during fall to spring but the Max walls are 48” and (c) putting up a framed one, which will be there all year.

Does anybody have experience with these that can either confirm my three views or provide more detail? I like to be outside as much as possible in the summer. I don’t like these temps over 90 with high humidity. As far as eyesores go, just this spring we removed our old swing set and trampoline, both donated to those who can use them. So the yard has room and is fenced so we comply with town code.

View attachment 67868
It can get crazy expensive to install an in ground pool that why we let the former owners of our houses put them in.

Reaction Score
Then you are doing it wrong.

My pool is used from late May to mid September and daily maintenance takes roughly 3 minutes. 10 when I need to vacuum.

The main issues with getting a pool this year are cost of materials and Pool builder schedule. Also the fire at Bio-Labs has caused the price of stabilized chlorine (tablets, pucks, granular) to increase by a factor of 4, and liquid by at least 50%.
Hard to understand why there is only 1 manufacturer in the country. I get the chemicals are nasty, but there is certainly business available for enterprising folks.

Reaction Score
Years ago, my mother bought a house from a pool company owner.

Though, I would point out that she was not young when she bought it and she had to climb down the stairs that come with pools. And, this was not easy for her. My sister who lived nearby had to assist her in, and assist her out.

For anyone building one and wanting older family members to use the pool, I would recommend at least one easy access ramp on the shallow end. Also, if there is a deep end (meaning the pool is not uniformly 5 feet end to end), I would recommend it not dominate the pool area unless you or your kids like to dive.

Not everybody is a great swimmer, and for an older family member that strays into the deep end, it could be a danger if they panic or have a medical emergency.

I am not about to install one, but if I were, I would have a small deep end for treading water and similar aqua exercises, and the remainder for water walking and swimming.

To each their own. I would be concerned about kids with minimal swimming skills and older ones, in having one installed.

But, others may not see these as considerations.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Years ago, my mother bought a house from a pool company owner.

Though, I would point out that she was not young when she bought it and she had to climb down the stairs that come with pools. And, this was not easy for her. My sister who lived nearby had to assist her in, and assist her out.

For anyone building one and wanting older family members to use the pool, I would recommend at least one easy access ramp on the shallow end. Also, if there is a deep end (meaning the pool is not uniformly 5 feet end to end), I would recommend it not dominate the pool area unless you or your kids like to dive.

Not everybody is a great swimmer, and for an older family member that strays into the deep end, it could be a danger if they panic or have a medical emergency.

I am not about to install one, but if I were, I would have a small deep end for treading water and similar aqua exercises, and the remainder for water walking and swimming.

To each their own. I would be concerned about kids with minimal swimming skills and older ones, in having one installed.

But, others may not see these as considerations.
So you recommend common sense in pool safety for weaker swimmers and the elderly.

Good tip. :rolleyes:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
My pool temp was 86, yesterday.

I might have to turn the chiller on, soon.

Reaction Score
My pool temp was 86, yesterday.

I might have to turn the chiller on, soon.
Yep.... I opened my pool here in CT on May 18th. The water was 62. With no solar cover or heater, even with the cool nights, it got to 80 within 10 days. Then the Memorial day weekend cold front came and it dropped to 60. Now the heat wave and its at 86 and probably will go a few degrees higher today. But for me 78-82 is perfect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom