About the "I Dare Them To Take A BCS Bid Away From The Service Academies" Nonsense | The Boneyard

About the "I Dare Them To Take A BCS Bid Away From The Service Academies" Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They wouldn't take away a BCS bid from Navy/Army/Air Force?

THEY'VE BEEN KEEPING THEM OUT OF THE BCS FOR 15 YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. WHY WOULD THEY CARE NOW?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The BCS has been keeping them out? Right.

Or it could be none of the teams have been close to qualifying.

Reaction Score
That argument is a canard.

The only reason the BE wants them is because the hoops schools don't want to dilute the bb side. The hoops schools are still driving the bus.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The service academies can book marquee games for television

Navy has the Army/Navy game, Notre Dame, and #10 South Carolina in their cycle. 3 potential national games. Air Force has ND plus their Army Navy matchups.

They can get quality bookings. That gives the BE from 2 to 4 national slots each year \.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They wouldn't take away a BCS bid from Navy/Army/Air Force?

THEY'VE BEEN KEEPING THEM OUT OF THE BCS FOR 15 YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. WHY WOULD THEY CARE NOW?

I initially agreed with the premise of your argument, but given your track record and the fact that you are shouting, now I am not so sure.

Reaction Score
The argument of having the academies in the conference to preserve the AQ status is absurd. It will have no bearing on it and in fact may push it the other way. Yes, an academy wins a game against a traditional "power" every now and again, but it's hardly consistent (seriously the last time the academies were a consistent threat was when Fisher DeBerry was coaching and Dee Dowis was QBing Air Force and I think Navy got into the top 25 sometime in the past decade).

I think that the BCS absolutely shudders of the possibility of an academy somehow winning an AQ conference championship and getting a bid and playing Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. We got hammered in the court of popular opinion last year (rightly or wrongly), imagine what the academy would get and the BCS doesn't want that to happen. They have a vested interest in driving eyeballs to TV sets and creating ad sales opportunities for their media partners, or partner (ESPN), having what is likely a multiple loss service academy (I say multiple loss because there is no recent history of an academy going undefeated) play a no loss or a one loss traditional power is a nightmare scenario (even with the patriotic sentiments that would naturally occur).

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
If they can fight a war and protect us off the field, I don't see a problem some here have with them playing for a right to go to the BCS.

It's a college football game, seriously get over yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
They let Washington State, Indiana, Duke and company in the BCS. Good grief.

Being "BCS" has virtually nothing to do with fielding a good football team and everything to do with being in the right Country Club at the right time and/or being able to get into the right country club.

It's a totally BS fashion show.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If in fact Navy made a BCS game, I think it would be a huge ratings winner. An underdog service academy playing in the BCS? People would be pumped for that come on now.

zls44

Reaction Score
I initially agreed with the premise of your argument, but given your track record and the fact that you are shouting, now I am not so sure.

Given my track record of being right, and yours of being a ranting idiot whom nobody respects in terms of realignment theories, I take that as a compliment.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's right that the academies aren't in the BCS.

I'm saying the BCS just doesn't care.

They want good football teams. That's all they care about. Well, money. But then they care about that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's right that the academies aren't in the BCS.

I'm saying the BCS just doesn't care.

They want good football teams. That's all they care about. Well, money. But then they care about that.

Agreed on all points.

IF Navy did we the Big East and earned a BCS don't you think it would get good ratings? It would be the underdog story of a Boise State except with the patriotism of being a US Service Academy?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Who says the service academies are about the BCS. They're not. The only team considered for the BCS is Boise State and that is no BS. The other schools considered are either the best of the rest or about getting the best potential viewership for the upcoming media contract.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The other schools considered are either the best of the rest or about getting the best potential viewership for the upcoming media contract.

Ignoring the Western Time Zone the best of the rest are UCF, Boise, Southern Miss, and ECU. Temple follows Wyoming and a couple Sun Belt Teams but it's thought a Philly team can draw more eyeballs with BCS competition which is likely true.

When Temple moved to the Linc they drew 24,000 fans average in 2003. When Penn State visits they get 70,000. Golden started getting a respectable (for Temple) draw in the 20s. They get some Sat afternoon TV sets when winning. There' no pretending a non-winning Philly team will be a huge hit

Reaction Score
\.
If they can fight a war and protect us off the field, I don't see a problem some here have with them playing for a right to go to the BCS.

It's a college football game, seriously get over yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually about money cloaked in a college football game, best not to forget that.

If the academies have proven they could draw an audience beyond a traditional game that unfortunately is becoming less and less relevant you'd see them a hell of a lot more on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom