About That Other Nurse ... | The Boneyard

About That Other Nurse ...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was watching hockey on the NBC Sports Channel just now. Between periods in the game they were showing, they had a highlight that showed Darnell Nurse engaging in extended fisticuffs with one of those wine-and-Brie members of the Montreal Canadiens. Darnell had a look of triumph on his face as he sat down in the penalty box to contemplate his iniquity for five minutes.

The announcers commented that he was related to Donovan McNabb, but they didn't mention that other connection in his family.

I wonder if he was ever in a fight before he started playing professional hockey. I would be a bit surprised if he were. But apparently he is pretty good at it.

Reaction Score
Darnell is, in my opinion at least, an asset to the Oilers organization. He's a fighter, but he plays solid defense and he brings something special to an already loaded team. Just came back from injury too - busted his ankle in... I want to say it was December, but I could be wrong. Alas, he's good! He's a good kid.

I'm surprised they don't mention Kia a little more often these days. I've heard it occasionally and I see it more on Twitter, but with the streak being such a big sports story this year, I'm surprised we haven't heard announcers bring up Kia more frequently.

Reaction Score
I was watching hockey on the NBC Sports Channel just now. Between periods in the game they were showing, they had a highlight that showed Darnell Nurse engaging in extended fisticuffs with one of those wine-and-Brie members of the Montreal Canadiens. Darnell had a look of triumph on his face as he sat down in the penalty box to contemplate his iniquity for five minutes.

The announcers commented that he was related to Donovan McNabb, but they didn't mention that other connection in his family.

I wonder if he was ever in a fight before he started playing professional hockey. I would be a bit surprised if he were. But apparently he is pretty good at it.
Unless Kia beat him up a time or two.

Reaction Score
There was a video a while back showing Darnell pounding the crap out of an opposing player, a bit more than necessary IMO - it was brutal, while his mom & dad cheered him on from the stands. Dad was REALLY getting into it. Didn't look like Darnell's first fight by any means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a video a while back showing Darnell pounding the crap out of an opposing player, a bit more than necessary IMO - it was brutal, while his mom & dad cheered him on from the stands. Dad was REALLY getting into it. Didn't look like Darnell's first fight by any means.
UGLY!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't forget about Sarah Nurse, Kia's cousin, who is a star hockey player for #1 ranked Wisconsin. The Badgers just qualified for the Women's Frozen 4 with a 7-0 win over Robert Morris.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty ironic that a family of "nurses" is keeping alot of other nurses employed. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

A lot of the Canadien junior hockey leagues allow fighting so I am sure he got into a scrap or two on the ice before he was a pro.

Reaction Score

Actually they should stop mentioning the Donovan McNabb thing because they are only related by marriage, not by blood.

Reaction Score
Actually they should stop mentioning the Donovan McNabb thing because they are only related by marriage, not by blood.

Certainly not a part of the genetics involved, but I saw an interview Darnell and Kia did together where Darnell talked about going to live with Donovan in the U.S. for months at a time to strength train with Donovan and other NFL players. So it appears that he had some involvement.

Reaction Score
A lot of the Canadien junior hockey leagues allow fighting so I am sure he got into a scrap or two on the ice before he was a pro.
If I remember correctly, he did get into a scrap or two while with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in the OHL. This was, of course, before the OHL actually cracked down a considerable bit on fighting and penalizing those that racked up too many fighting majors.

Not unusual. It does sound bad to say it, but fighting is very much a part of his job. He's not a stereotypical enforcer by any means - nor would I ever really label him as an enforcer - but he's a guy that keeps the other team honest.

Reaction Score
Certainly not a part of the genetics involved, but I saw an interview Darnell and Kia did together where Darnell talked about going to live with Donovan in the U.S. for months at a time to strength train with Donovan and other NFL players. So it appears that he had some involvement.

What planet are you from?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
For anyone really interested in Darnell's pugilistic history, there is a website that keeps track of such things:

Hockey Fights – Darnell Nurse

I want to reemphasize what Steph's been saying up above, though; there's a lot more to Darnell's game than dropping the gloves. He was the 7th overall pick in the NHL draft, and while I'm no expert in this area, I believe he's generally considered a promising young player on an Edmonton team that's on the rise. A lot of his fights have happened in the aftermath of an opponent's taking a questionable shot at one of his teammates. Like it or not, as Steph said, that's a big part of his job description. My guess is that his teammates love him for it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't really like the "enforcer" bit in Hockey.
Bob Probert, Derek Broogaard and others have had short miserable lives after their retirements.
Too fine a family to have that happen to their kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom