OT: - ABC's of Music | Page 46 | The Boneyard

OT: ABC's of Music

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll do I and J in one: Janis Ian -- Janey's Blues, the finale on her first album. Amazing how she'd already hit upon the beautiful depressing song by the time she was 15.

Reaction Score
I'll do I and J in one: Janis Ian -- Janey's Blues, the finale on her first album. Amazing how she'd already hit upon the beautiful depressing song by the time she was 15.

I was looking for an opportunity to post one of her songs about a week ago but the letters just didn't work out. I was thinking about her music a couple weeks back and the fact that just about every song she recorded seemed to have this fog of depression surrounding it and wanted to find out whatever happened to her. In truth I was thinking I would find out that she probably offed herself by her thirties.

Instead I found the attached commencement speech that she gave at Berklee Music a couple years ago. Just a great mix of insight and self effacing humor. Worth a listen. So now I think of her music as being wrapped in a fog of self -insightfulness instead of depression. And I'm glad that she is still around.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dang, I just was posting to get to this song. I ain't waiting, even if its a doubleshot. heck, I just deleted 'panama red' nrps cuz someone was fasster on the n.
eve 6 inside out.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was looking for an opportunity to post one of her songs about a week ago but the letters just didn't work out. I was thinking about her music a couple weeks back and the fact that just about every song she recorded seemed to have this fog of depression surrounding it and wanted to find out whatever happened to her. In truth I was thinking I would find out that she probably offed herself by her thirties.

Instead I found the attached commencement speech that she gave at Berklee Music a couple years ago. Just a great mix of insight and self effacing humor. Worth a listen. So now I think of her music as being wrapped in a fog of self -insightfulness instead of depression. And I'm glad that she is still around.

I haven’t seen that (I will watch it), but have a few DVDs of hers, one of which includes a documentary mini bio. She’s a fascinating person, warm and not maudlin at all, at least in her 60’s. It’s hard to believe that when “At Seventeen” came out, she’d been in the limelight for ten years, including being institutionalized, and she was only 25.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
you get what you give new radicals 'this world is gonna pull thru-you got the music in you'

Reaction Score
C - Christine's Tune - the great live version from the Flying Burrito Brothers, Chris Hillman on the lead:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom