AAU adds six universities | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAU adds six universities

Reaction Score
Doesn’t stop Yale which got $1B+ in R&D funding. It’s much more systemic.
Yale is a private university and does not have to charge the overhead rates that have been pushed on UConn from the state.

Reaction Score
Why can't the state make an administrative change so UConn proper gets credit for UConn Med School research?
Iirc issue is the distance between main campus and med school. Nothing the state can do there.

Reaction Score
Why can't the state make an administrative change so UConn proper gets credit for UConn Med School research?
I believe it is included.
Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 11.26.41 AM.png

Reaction Score
Iirc issue is the distance between main campus and med school. Nothing the state can do there.
Distance may not make a difference. For example, Texas A&M College Station has a campus in Galveston, Fort Worth (law school) and a maritime academy that sails around the world. These are NOT “satellite” campuses, but part of the College Station campus. Also, my understanding is that when Nebraska was about to lose its AAU status, it was suggested to have their med school be part of the Lincoln campus (but stay in Omaha), but they chose not to and still choose not to.

Reaction Score
Distance may not make a difference. For example, Texas A&M College Station has a campus in Galveston, Fort Worth (law school) and a maritime academy that sails around the world. These are NOT “satellite” campuses, but part of the College Station campus. Also, my understanding is that when Nebraska was about to lose its AAU status, it was suggested to have their med school be part of the Lincoln campus (but stay in Omaha), but they chose not to and still choose not to.
The whole thing seems rather arbitrary.

Reaction Score

Yeah. The issue is governance.

My novice understanding that University of Nebraska Medical Center has it's own (completely separate) oversight structure. UNL would probably still be in the AAU if they governed the medical school.

Penn State's medical school is in Hershey but counts because it reports directly to State College.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe it is included. View attachment 88662
In measuring our overall research it is included. As far as AAU measurements, this is one of the areas where they play some games. They claim that if the research is done in a separate location, it is not viewed within their criteria but they are arbitrary with which schools they'll include separate locations and which schools they will not.

Our goal should be to increase overall research by a considerable amount (35%, 40%, 45%) over a short term time frame and let everything else fail where it may.

Reaction Score
I saw someone's list of AAU candidates ranked by their readiness. It was a list of 15 schools and we were not on said list. So, seemingly, lots of work still to do.

Reaction Score
I saw someone's list of AAU candidates ranked by their readiness. It was a list of 15 schools and we were not on said list. So, seemingly, lots of work still to do.
Here’s a reality. UConn is a top 25 public university pumping out kids going to all kinds of first tier grad programs. We should be proud and I say -AAU. The mission is excellence not entry into an arbitrary private country club.

Reaction Score
there is a rumor asu got the aau offer in exchange for staying in pac12 for now. not sure if true, could nd had some other kind of arrangement

Reaction Score
Here’s a reality. UConn is a top 25 public university pumping out kids going to all kinds of first tier grad programs. We should be proud and I say -AAU. The mission is excellence not entry into an arbitrary private country club.
Relax - I'm not dissing UConn academics. Just relaying one source's list of potential AAU candidates.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
USF has been working on attaining AAU status for at least 15 years. There are many metrics involved. Definitely NOT a Country Club situation,
It's invite only. Also their standards don't list hard numbers for what thresholds or levels constitute "meeting the requirements." It's all just marketecture hand wavy "we look at such and such number, but won't actually tell you what the number you must have is" stuff. They do that so they can pick and choose who gets in and who doesn't. It's no different than conference realignment where one minute it's media market size, the next it's size of your football stadium, then the time after that it's the number of striped shirts the student body wears on Tuesdays. These organizations and associations do this so they can make it so the schools they want "meet the requirements," and tell the schools they don't want that sorry they don't meet the requirements that they made up. It's all arbitrary, a popularity contest, and an old boys club and they decide who gets to eat in the fancy dining room and who is stuck looking in through the windows.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do your own homework. They met the metrics.
Exactly which metrics did they meet?

This is where it gets hazy as some members have considerably lower published research numbers (after removing ag research and non-competitive bid research) than a quite a few schools that aren't considered for AAU membership.

Reaction Score
this is awful news for UConn. We really need to get into the AAU. It's not just for sports but to confirm that we are a research university committed to excellence. Four of the recent additions will be competitive now to get into the Big 10.
Can someone explain why we are not able to accomplish AAU status??

Reaction Score
It's a club. Notre Dame got in because the members wanted them in. Not because they met the requirements. There are no real requirements. It's whoever they want to vote in.

Reaction Score
It's a club. Notre Dame got in because the members wanted them in. Not because they met the requirements. There are no real requirements. It's whoever they want to vote in.
Kind of amazing that a religious school gets into a research consortium before us. Some of the conversations that must go on...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom