Aaron Torres on the UConn HC Opening | The Boneyard

Aaron Torres on the UConn HC Opening

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Liked the notion that UConn is a premium job. Also liked the love for Coach Calhoun coming back.

Honestly Calhoun and baker Dunleavy as coach In waiting might be my favorite idea.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wish Calhoun could be associate head coach, but he’d just overshadow whoever the head coach is. Keep him in your corner, go to him when you need help/have questions, but keep him off the staff unless he can head coach for 6+ more years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm partial to Hurley with Calhoun going full George Blaney.

I wish Calhoun could be associate head coach, but he’d just overshadow whoever the head coach is. Keep him in your corner, go to him when you need help/have questions, but keep him off the staff unless he can head coach for 6+ more years.

Agreed. That is a serious challenege for me. I'm not sure how well that can work. Hurley has a good enough relationship with Calhoun that he probably doens't need this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Having a full compliment of assistants that answer to you is the best option. JC's special position at the school means he's an available resource whenever you need him. That's like having an extra assistant who also happens to be a guru.

Nice little workaround on the 3 assistants + DOB rule.

Reaction Score
Bringing back JC as head coach is the absolute dumbest possible move. You end up back at square 1 all over again when he retires again.

Reaction Score
O
Having a full compliment of assistants that answer to you is the best option. JC's special position at the school means he's an available resource whenever you need him. That's like having an extra assistant who also happens to be a guru.

Nice little workaround on the 3 assistants + DOB rule.
Only if you actually use him and allow him some sort of involvement. I think the public needs to see him being used as a mentor or additional tool to the staff/program. It would be a great optic and overwhelming recruiting tool.
Waiting for chief like and confirmed.

Reaction Score
Why do people want Calhoun back? That would be terrible for the program. Shows desperation

I wasn’t at all in favor of it initially, but I recognize some intrigue to the idea if you look at it more as incubation, rather than a long term solution.

If Benedict does not believe any currently available candidate is a long term, championship-caliber, solution, then he can roll the dice and bring in Calhoun for a couple of years. That buys Benedict time to continue the search for who he believes is the best long term solution, while he employs a coach that could not only sell tickets based on sheer excitement and nostalgia but also (presumably) make the most of the current roster. Calhoun could, conceivably, ride the core group of Vital-Gilbert-Wilson-Carlton for a couple of years (supplemented by Jalen Adams in one year and maybe a one-and-done guard in the other).

Obviously, recruiting multi-year players would become extremely complicated and the program would have to become extremely creative to bring those kids in. It also puts the program back in rebuilding mode as soon as Calhoun retires again.

The negatives (including intangibles like possible damage to Calhoun’s coaching reputation) are plenty. On balance, it likely isn’t the best choice. But I do see how Calhoun can be brought in just to bring us afloat once again, after which we once again search for a hot shot championship-caliber coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we please stop with the bring Calhoun back nonsense? He’s not the only coach that can win at UConn any more than Larry Brown was at Kansas (or Roy), or Dean Smith at UNC. We are bigger than that. For UConn to move forward we have to be bigger than Jim Calhoun.

Meanwhile, he’s a 75 year old cancer survivor. He’s hardly a symbol of stability, which we very much need. We need to hire someone who can be here 20 years. Recruits need to know who the coach is through all four years they might be here.

Hurley asked him to speak to and, I presume, inspire his URI team. I suspect he would be perfectly willing to do that as the UConn coach. It’s a good role for JC.

Last edited:

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
As a reminder, my " In-house" , "In the family" choice is Karl Hobbs w/ Scott Burrell and retain Chillious.

Reaction Score
We need JC at the games and around the facilities. I hope Hurley encourages him to be more visible. Having a legend like Calhoun around with lots of famous NBA alum friends would definitely be a positive for the team.

Reaction Score
As a reminder, my " In-house" , "In the family" choice is Karl Hobbs w/ Scott Burrell and retain Chillious.

Absolutely don’t mind this. Hobbs lost traction at GW due to lack of school support. He’s a good coach. Love Burrell and Chill recruits with credibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why do people want Calhoun back? That would be terrible for the program. Shows desperation
To have one of the greatest coaches of all time back?

If he comes in as associate head coach:

1) Calhoun gets to "be back in the gym" without the demands of being the head coach;

2) the transition to Hurley is easier because the fans and players don't have to worry about him being over his head;

3) players get to be coached by a HOFer

4) recruiting gets instantly easier; and

5) we signal to our alumni players that everything is alright.

Kind of a no lose scenario, not that I think it is happening.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Negative recruiting due to his age and health history?
Probably not effective when the head coach is young.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom