Aaliyah's Play in Canada-USA Game: An Assessment | The Boneyard

Aaliyah's Play in Canada-USA Game: An Assessment

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
After Aaliyah Edwards's commitment yesterday, I took a suggestion on this board and went back to watch the game between Team USA and Team Canada that occurred recently in Puerto Rico. This was not an age-limited game; it featured mostly WNBA players on the US side, including Olympians such as Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles.

Aaliyah was by far the youngest player in the game at 17, only half as old as Fowles, against whom she had to contend for rebounds. She was the first player off the bench for Canada, and seemed to be their most effective rebounder and inside presence. She got a few offensive rebounds against Tina, Sylvia, and Stef by hustling to the basket as soon as her teammate's shot went up. She certainly did not look out of place playing against those players.

Here are some more specific observations:

1. She seems to be comfortable on the perimeter as well as in the paint. She grabbed defensive rebounds and brought the ball up just like Napheesa, and she even hit a banked-in 3-point shot. (OK, that involved some luck.)

2. If you want to compare her to past UConn players, I would offer Morgan Tuck as a comparison, but Edwards is bigger (see my other thread about height measurements) and faster, and just as strong. We will have to see if she has the same "basketball IQ".

3. Another comparison might be to Kiah Stokes in terms of strength and presence in the paint, but Aaliyah obviously has a turbocharged engine that was never in evidence with Kiah.

4. Actually, I think the closest comparison would be to Tina Charles, but that would be the junior/senior version of Tina, rather than the freshman/sophomore version that preferred to be a spectator much of the time.

5. On defense, she often defended Napheesa Collier. and Napheesa had trouble getting an open shot when they were 1-on-1 with each other.

I don't have the box score of this game (maybe someone else can post it or link it), but I think Aaliyah had 8 or 9 points and double-digit rebounds. She appeared to play as many minutes in the game as any of Canada's starters (although Kia Nurse was not on the Canadian roster for this game).

Somewhat related: Olivia Nelson-Ododa also played in this game as the last US post player off the bench (but she was, of course, the only US player who was still in college). I did not think that ONO looked like as much of a peer to the older post players as Aaliyah did. She seemed to have a particular problem with opponents dislodging the ball from her hands. There was one play near the end of the first half where ONO had the ball in her hands for (I believe) four consecutive times without being able to move an inch. She would grab the ball with two hands, someone would knock it loose, she would pick it back up (much to her credit), and then she would lose it again in the same way. On the fourth iteration of this pattern, the Canadians were able to steal the ball and move it up the court. Although she did get a few rebounds, it appears that she still has some strength work to do, and she needs to break the habit of holding the ball below the tree line where opposing guards can dislodge it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Box score is here. Aaliyah is not nearly as strong as Morgan Tuck or Kiah Stokes. Her upper body is long and extremely lean closer to Freshman Stewie or Napheesa Collier.

Reaction Score
After Aaliyah Edwards's commitment yesterday, I took a suggestion on this board and went back to watch the game between Team USA and Team Canada that occurred recently in Puerto Rico. This was not an age-limited game; it featured mostly WNBA players on the US side, including Olympians such as Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles.

Aaliyah was by far the youngest player in the game at 17, only half as old as Fowles, against whom she had to contend for rebounds. She was the first player off the bench for Canada, and seemed to be their most effective rebounder and inside presence. She got a few offensive rebounds against Tina, Sylvia, and Stef by hustling to the basket as soon as her teammate's shot went up. She certainly did not look out of place playing against those players.

Here are some more specific observations:

1. She seems to be comfortable on the perimeter as well as in the paint. She grabbed defensive rebounds and brought the ball up just like Napheesa, and she even hit a banked-in 3-point shot. (OK, that involved some luck.)

2. If you want to compare her to past UConn players, I would offer Morgan Tuck as a comparison, but Edwards is bigger (see my other thread about height measurements) and faster, and just as strong. We will have to see if she has the same "basketball IQ".

3. Another comparison might be to Kiah Stokes in terms of strength and presence in the paint, but Aaliyah obviously has a turbocharged engine that was never in evidence with Kiah.

4. Actually, I think the closest comparison would be to Tina Charles, but that would be the junior/senior version of Tina, rather than the freshman/sophomore version that preferred to be a spectator much of the time.

5. On defense, she often defended Napheesa Collier. and Napheesa had trouble getting an open shot when they were 1-on-1 with each other.

I don't have the box score of this game (maybe someone else can post it or link it), but I think Aaliyah had 8 or 9 points and double-digit rebounds. She appeared to play as many minutes in the game as any of Canada's starters (although Kia Nurse was not on the Canadian roster for this game).

Somewhat related: Olivia Nelson-Ododa also played in this game as the last US post player off the bench (but she was, of course, the only US player who was still in college). I did not think that ONO looked like as much of a peer to the older post players as Aaliyah did. She seemed to have a particular problem with opponents dislodging the ball from her hands. There was one play near the end of the first half where ONO had the ball in her hands for (I believe) four consecutive times without being able to move an inch. She would grab the ball with two hands, someone would knock it loose, she would pick it back up (much to her credit), and then she would lose it again in the same way. On the fourth iteration of this pattern, the Canadians were able to steal the ball and move it up the court. Although she did get a few rebounds, it appears that she still has some strength work to do, and she needs to break the habit of holding the ball below the tree line where opposing guards can dislodge it.
Good assessment regarding ONO. A few seconds go by every time she gets ball, particularly under basket. Thinking too much? Too mechanical? Bad habit? Is this coachable?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good assessment regarding ONO. A few seconds go by every time she gets ball, particularly under basket. Thinking too much? Too mechanical? Bad habit? Is this coachable?
Entirely coachable. Tina Charles had similar bad habits as Freshman and Sophomore

Reaction Score
This is probably a dumb question, but...

Where do you all think Edwards will rank among 2020 HS forwards after this season? Have the raters completely blown this?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Where do you all think Edwards will rank among 2020 HS forwards after this season? Have the raters completely blown this?
Hard to say because she doesn't have any games against elite Americans who are already rated. But I was talking to a few BY'ers and we believe that Edwards is legit top 5 in the class - she was really solid against elite college players and pros when Team USA faced off against Canada.

@MilfordHusky believes Muhl is better than Andrews or Van Lith, so a legit top 10. PN has Gabriel rated as 41, and she's really blown up this past summer so her ranking is definitely higher than the "unranked" rating that HG has her at the moment. Mclean - one of the best athletes in the class (along with Edwards, and Griffin from the class ahead of her), so 15-20 seems about right for her.

Bueckers - #1 by a mile
Edwards - 4-7 range
Muhl - 7-10 range
Mclean - 20'ish
Gabriel - 40-60 range

Frankly I don't care what the rating services have Oregon's class (or anyone else for that matter). First, they are our recruits, so all that matters is how well they will do at UCONN. 2nd, IMHO that class is easily the best in the nation and it's not even close to who has #2.

Last point - it's not just about one class. Oregon has a lot of recruits in 2021. Stanford, Baylor and Maryland all have or will have top 10 kids. ND has a solid class and likely will land top 10 Clark. Baylor could land Andrews and Van Lith.

But then look at 2019. SC had a monster class with 4 in the top 10. STanford and Maryland also did well. Then go to 2018. Baylor and STanford but SC and Maryland also got a top 10 kid. And Stanford also has #4 out of 2021 already. 2017 - it was UCONN, Texas, Tennessee and Stanford who really cleaned up. Yeah Holly could recruit the hell out of top kids.

If you look at who's getting top kids class by class, there are only a few elite programs. ND to a lesser extent (I believe Brunelle is not a legit top 10 kid), Stanford, Maryland and Baylor. And if you add up who will be on the rosters, NO ONE has recruited as well as UCONN. Brenda (as I throw up a little in my mouth saying this) has proven she can coach the hell out of top talent. So has Kim (in spite of her unfortunate fashion choices), and we know Tara is one of the best.

So... IMHO the next 3 years (after this season) it will be UCONN, Stanford, Baylor and Maryland in that order as the top 4 programs. Just based on recruiting and how well the coaches get the kids to perform. Next tier, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas (based on talent - not coaching - I really don't think they are a top 10 team). Next tier, ND, Oregon, Oregon State, and maybe Louisville.

I have no doubt I'm missing a team or 2, but the main point of my post is that while teams may have individually a great year, NO ONE has the top talent UCONN has and will have for the next 4-5 years. If we make the final 4 this year, and we should since I believe we are one of the top 3-4 teams in the nation WITHOUT Westbrook, we will definitely be NC favorites the next 2-3 years after that and then some.

Reaction Score
Hard to say because she doesn't have any games against elite Americans who are already rated. But I was talking to a few BY'ers and we believe that Edwards is legit top 5 in the class - she was really solid against elite college players and pros when Team USA faced off against Canada.

@MilfordHusky believes Muhl is better than Andrews or Van Lith, so a legit top 10. PN has Gabriel rated as 41, and she's really blown up this past summer so her ranking is definitely higher than the "unranked" rating that HG has her at the moment. Mclean - one of the best athletes in the class (along with Edwards, and Griffin from the class ahead of her), so 15-20 seems about right for her.

Bueckers - #1 by a mile
Edwards - 4-7 range
Muhl - 7-10 range
Mclean - 20'ish
Gabriel - 40-60 range

Frankly I don't care what the rating services have Oregon's class (or anyone else for that matter). First, they are our recruits, so all that matters is how well they will do at UCONN. 2nd, IMHO that class is easily the best in the nation and it's not even close to who has #2.

Last point - it's not just about one class. Oregon has a lot of recruits in 2021. Stanford, Baylor and Maryland all have or will have top 10 kids. ND has a solid class and likely will land top 10 Clark. Baylor could land Andrews and Van Lith.

But then look at 2019. SC had a monster class with 4 in the top 10. STanford and Maryland also did well. Then go to 2018. Baylor and STanford but SC and Maryland also got a top 10 kid. And Stanford also has #4 out of 2021 already. 2017 - it was UCONN, Texas, Tennessee and Stanford who really cleaned up. Yeah Holly could recruit the hell out of top kids.

If you look at who's getting top kids class by class, there are only a few elite programs. ND to a lesser extent (I believe Brunelle is not a legit top 10 kid), Stanford, Maryland and Baylor. And if you add up who will be on the rosters, NO ONE has recruited as well as UCONN. Brenda (as I throw up a little in my mouth saying this) has proven she can coach the hell out of top talent. So has Kim (in spite of her unfortunate fashion choices), and we know Tara is one of the best.

So... IMHO the next 3 years (after this season) it will be UCONN, Stanford, Baylor and Maryland in that order as the top 4 programs. Just based on recruiting and how well the coaches get the kids to perform. Next tier, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas (based on talent - not coaching - I really don't think they are a top 10 team). Next tier, ND, Oregon, Oregon State, and maybe Louisville.

I have no doubt I'm missing a team or 2, but the main point of my post is that while teams may have individually a great year, NO ONE has the top talent UCONN has and will have for the next 4-5 years. If we make the final 4 this year, and we should since I believe we are one of the top 3-4 teams in the nation WITHOUT Westbrook, we will definitely be NC favorites the next 2-3 years after that and then some.
Nika is a nice player, but in watching her 2019 FIBA U19 games, she has a long way to go. She is an unbelievable passer, but she was kinda careless with the ball which resulted in high turnovers. Doesn't shoot it great either, but that can be improved. When comparing to Van Lith, she has more of a finesse game, whereas Van Lith is more physical. Both are turnover prone. With that said, I personally would choose Nika.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

That is really two questions.
Q: Where do you all think Edwards will rank among 2020 HS forwards after this season?
A: It will not matter. At the end of this season Aaliyah has put herself in a great position to be the best forward in the class being coached by the proven best staff in the history of WCBB.
Q: Have the raters completely blown this?
A: It will not matter-see the answer to the prior question. UCONN has had players ranked higher that Aaliyah (eg., Sadie Edwards) that have not done well at UCONN and players that were ranked lower (eg., Kia Nurse ) who was a 4 year starter and NDPOY. What matters most besides the coaching & BB skill set is the work ethic. Aaliyah Edwards is of Jamaican heritage-she will not be outworked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It really doesn't matter. The raters are doing nothing more than comparing HS kids to HS kids. I pay no attention to them and I doubt that many college coaches do either. The coaches know that the best players will be at certain summer tournaments and they do their own evaluations based on the type of player they're looking for. I've never understood why fans use these HS rankings to project college performance and college team strength. Even the coaches screw up the future projections, some top ranked players become great, and many go nowhere. The HS raters are just creating talking points for fans, nothing more. Just a guessing game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom