Aaliyah preparing for all hurdles. | The Boneyard

Aaliyah preparing for all hurdles.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Relentlessness of women's basketball schedule only amplified in Olympic year | CBC Sports

All in all, there's plenty of experience for Aaliyah Edwards, fresh off her rookie season with UConn, from which to draw.

"There's some stories I'm like, 'Oh, I don't know if I'm ready for that right now.' But it's really about independence and just kind of holding your own down there. It does seem exciting [and] at the same time the schedule does seem demanding. So I think I'll be ready for it," Edwards said.

Meditation, reading help players stay balanced
Edwards said preparing for professional life was a point of emphasis with the Huskies.

"I always tell people it's not only physically demanding, but also mentally, being in a program like it is with the expectations, the pressure. That really transitions over to the women's national team as well, because you're not only playing for yourself but you're playing for your teammates and your coaches and everyone who has sacrificed for you."

To that end, the 18-year-old says she uses meditation and reading to help keep a level head. Edwards, who wears purple-and-gold braids to honour Kobe Bryant, says she's read Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable by former Bryant and Michael Jordan trainer Tim Grover multiple times.

Reaction Score
Playing with the National team is bound to challenge her abilities since they all are basically pro players. They have a lot of size on her team which will force her to develop her mid-range and outside shooting as well as her inside scoring abilities. She should come back much more advanced then last year. :):):)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aaliyah had a really good freshman year at UConn. But you get the feeling that she has barely scratched the surface of how good she can be. I think all UConn fans can’t wait to see that day arrive.

Reaction Score
The other thing is the level of maturity and ability to handle all of this unpredictability.

With border rules in place, Canadian NCAA players didn't get to go home as frequently as to would during a regular season. Some of these players hadn't been home for a year. Now she's back on the road, getting ready for summer school (I'm assuming she'll have to attend online), and training. Once she's done with Team Canada (in August I hope), right back to UCONN.

How many 18 year olds can manage this with the composure she has? It's a special trait that I really admire in her.

Reaction Score
You know you have a great team when Edwards and Fudd are your first two off the bench. I'm expecting a big sophomore season for Edwards - hopefully one like Napheesa's.
The concept is accurate. If you have a future WNBA level player coming off the bench as Uconn has had a number of times, you are a very good team.

Who the first two off the bench are is just as controversial as who starts or who doesn't make the rotation. I think Aaliyah has at least an 80% chance of starting and I would put Azzi at close to 50%, so in my opinion there is a less than 50% chance those two are the first two off the bench, although that is certainly one of the possibilities.

Reaction Score
The concept is accurate. If you have a future WNBA level player coming off the bench as Uconn has had a number of times, you are a very good team.

Who the first two off the bench are is just as controversial as who starts or who doesn't make the rotation. I think Aaliyah has at least an 80% chance of starting and I would put Azzi at close to 50%, so in my opinion there is a less than 50% chance those two are the first two off the bench, although that is certainly one of the possibilities.
Geno's not demoting any of his seniors. Wouldn't expect him to break with that tradition after 36 seasons, and he's not benching Paige nor his starting point guard given how much Geno values guard play and defense. Could see him have a quicker hook though if someone is struggling given the options on the bench this year. There just aren't any starting spots up for grabs this year. Next year there will be three, two of which I expect to go to Aaliyah and Azzi. What I think we'll see this season for guards most often is Paige on the floor with two others from a guard rotation of Evina, CW, Nika, and Azzi to go along with an interior player rotation of ONO, Edwards, Aubrey, DJ, and DeBerry. Where Mir, Caroline Ducharme, and Saylor find real minutes I have no idea, but that's a problem for the coaches to solve.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno's not demoting any of his seniors. Wouldn't expect him to break with that tradition after 36 seasons, and he's not benching Paige nor his starting point guard given how much Geno values guard play and defense. Could see him have a quicker hook though if someone is struggling given the options on the bench this year. There just aren't any starting spots up for grabs this year. Next year there will be three, two of which I expect to go to Aaliyah and Azzi. What I think we'll see this season for guards most often is Paige on the floor with two others from a guard rotation of Evina, CW, Nika, and Azzi to go along with an interior player rotation of ONO, Edwards, Aubrey, DJ, and DeBerry. Where Mir, Caroline Ducharme, and Saylor find real minutes I have no idea, but that's a problem for the coaches to solve.
I agree with your analysis although I believe that Nika will need to fight for her starting spot, which basically defines her competitive personality in the first place.

Reaction Score
An embarrassment of riches

Reaction Score
The other thing is the level of maturity and ability to handle all of this unpredictability.

With border rules in place, Canadian NCAA players didn't get to go home as frequently as to would during a regular season. Some of these players hadn't been home for a year. Now she's back on the road, getting ready for summer school (I'm assuming she'll have to attend online), and training. Once she's done with Team Canada (in August I hope), right back to UCONN.

How many 18 year olds can manage this with the composure she has? It's a special trait that I really admire in her.
She really is a special kid

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aaliyah had a really good freshman year at UConn. But you get the feeling that she has barely scratched the surface of how good she can be. I think all UConn fans can’t wait to see that day arrive.
Aaliyah is a "no non-sense" person/player. Morgan Tuck and Megan Walker were also cut from the same cloth. She's about the business of getting better with each passing day in an effort to become the best player she can be. This also includes getting it done in the classroom as well. We talk about freshmen making that sophomore leap all the time. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I think we'll see a significant improvement in Aaliyah's game this year. How can playing with the Canadian National team this summer with grown women (most playing professionally) not help her?

It's too early to think about the starting 5, but looking at the roster, IMHO Aaliyah is one of the 5 best players on the team. With Anna Makurat leaving, that opens up a spot in the starting line up. Who gets it, Azzi, Dorka or Aaliyah? That's a win-win choice for Geno. Either one will undoubtedly give him the desired results. Geno is going to have so much talent on the bench, it's hard to fathom UConn losing.

I know other teams have improved their lot as well, and some of them will be a tough out. UConn has "elite" talent up and down its roster. I can see Geno going 8 deep with little or no drop off. I don't like to look ahead, but next year's class has some very talented players coming in too. It's going to be hard to keep Patterson on the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope she will enjoy her lifestyle.

I can understand the arguments for at least 8 different players to start. Hopefully the chemistry will mesh!
...and stay meshed through the NC game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom