Aaliyah named to Naismith POY list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah named to Naismith POY list

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the majority of these nominations are not always based on merit, but on promotion. For example, Deja Kelly is consistently promoted as one of the top players in the country. In 3 years, she's never shot better than 36% from the field. For comparison, Lou is close to shooting 50% from 3-pt land. Before she was injured, Azzi was shooting 52% from the field and we know how deadly she is from 3-pt range. For further comparison, Caitlin Clark is a volume shooter and takes more long-range shots than anybody and she makes 46% of her attempts. Finally, our sidelined superstar made over 50% of her attempts in each of her first two seasons.

The POY is between Clark and Boston. Boston will probably win, but Clark deserves it more because of her numbers and overall value to her team. I would add Reese, Siegrist and Mackenzie Holmes as part of my top 5 in POY.

I feel Aaliyah should be in the top 10 for All-American. Boston, Clark, Reese and Brink are virtual locks for first-team. Maybe Miles or Haley Jones for the other spot. Aaliyah is the mix for second team, along with Holmes, Diamond Miller, Siegrist, Morrow. Aaliyah's numbers are solid and we all have seen her improvement this season.
No way should Boston win over CC! Unfortunately, you may be right, as the media will do whatever it can to assure just that. As PAHuskeyFan mentioned, these lists are often made up of players who have National names. Their stats are secondary. It often seems like a “delayed” award. If you did well last year and received national recognition, you are even more likely to be rewarded next year, regardless of whether you are actually playing better! It’s difficult for me to see how any player but Clark should win this award.

Reaction Score
I try not to compare players, but Zia Cooke, Deja Kelly or Hailey Van Lith (to name a few) do not deserve to be on that watchlist ahead of Lou Lopez Senechal.

I agree 100%. What bugs me even more is that Lou wasn't one of the 10 finalists for the Hoophall Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard Award. I don't believe there are 30 players who deserve to be on the POY Watchlist ahead of her - but what great basketball minds came up with 10 better shooting guards than Lou? No way!

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. What bugs me even more is that Lou wasn't one of the 10 finalists for the Hoophall Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard Award. I don't believe there are 30 players who deserve to be on the POY Watchlist ahead of her - but what great basketball minds came up with 10 better shooting guards than Lou? No way!

This is a travesty given Lou's shooting stats...

Reaction Score
UConn has 1 player on the list and LSU, North Carolina and Tennessee(!) have 2 players. Amazing how UConn keeps winning without any good players. :rolleyes:
Probably because our best players are on the bench in street clothes. That being said, based on her play to date, Lou also deserves to be on this list. As for those of you who don't think Zia Cooke has qualified to be high on this list you must not have watched Sunday's game.

Reaction Score

The original Hoophall list was established before the season started and no one had any idea how Lou would fair in Div.1 play. If she continues her excellent shooting and overall play perhaps she too will be added. They have made numerous changes throughout the season to date.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Probably because our best players are on the bench in street clothes. That being said, based on her play to date, Lou also deserves to be on this list. As for those of you who don't think Zia Cooke has qualified to be high on this list you must not have watched Sunday's game.
I would guess that many of us have not seen the majority of these players play.....even once this season. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I watched. She was 2/15 (0/4) with 1 rebound and 2 assists in 39 minutes.

She’s not in Lou’s league.

Reaction Score
The POY is between Clark and Boston. Boston will probably win, but Clark deserves it more because of her numbers and overall value to her team. I would add Reese, Siegrist and Mackenzie Holmes as part of my top 5 in POY.

I feel Aaliyah should be in the top 10 for All-American. Boston, Clark, Reese and Brink are virtual locks for first-team. Maybe Miles or Haley Jones for the other spot. Aaliyah is the mix for second team, along with Holmes, Diamond Miller, Siegrist, Morrow. Aaliyah's numbers are solid and we all have seen her improvement this season.
I agree although in my view Boston has earned this recognition

Reaction Score
I watched. She was 2/15 (0/4) with 1 rebound and 2 assists in 39 minutes.

She’s not in Lou’s league.
Yes, her scoring was not good in this game, but her defense on Lou was All-American worthy. Basically shut her down until the 4th quarter and from 3s throughout. You also shouldn't judge a player based on her play in one game. She averages 15 pts per game while playing 25 minutes per.

Reaction Score
I would guess that many of us have not seen the majority of these players play.....even once this season. :rolleyes:
Agreed, but then is it fair to trash a player on that basis?

Reaction Score
Yes, her scoring was not good in this game, but her defense on Lou was All-American worthy. Basically shut her down until the 4th quarter and from 3s throughout. You also shouldn't judge a player based on her play in one game. She averages 15 pts per game while playing 25 minutes per.
Lou was 7/15, a little less than her season average.

Zia’s shooting splits are 39.9/35.7/80.6 against the #18 SOS.
Lou’s shooting splits are 48.4/47.5/89.8 against the #1 SOS.

Zia is not better than Lou and last game proved that.

Reaction Score
Lou was 7/15, a little less than her season average.

Zia’s shooting splits are 39.9/35.7/80.6 against the #18 SOS.
Lou’s shooting splits are 48.4/47.5/89.8 against the #1 SOS.

Zia is not better than Lou and last game proved that.
I’m sure Zia cares more about winning and doing anything for her team than meaningless awards. She played tough defense and made her work for every shot! Sometimes that’s valued more at the next level than someone who can score. If you can’t defend one on one then that’s the biggest red flag not having a bad shooting game.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Zia cares more about winning and doing anything for her team than meaningless awards. She played tough defense and made her work for every shot! Sometimes that’s valued more at the next level than someone who can score. If you can’t defend one on one then that’s the biggest red flag not having a bad shooting game.
I hear what you're saying. Having said that, do you think those who held Cooke to 2 of 15 shooting will be on any NBA draft boards or up for any of these awards because of their defense? Agree that these awards are way past approaching meaningless because it's near impossible to come up with...a short list....for a lot of reasons. And unfortunately...touchdowns and dunks almost always overshadow the interceptions and blocks. It is entertaining to watch folks discuss the issue and these conversations are good for the game.

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying. Having said that, do you think those who held Cooke to 2 of 15 shooting will be on any NBA draft boards or up for any of these awards because of their defense? Agree that these awards are way past approaching meaningless because it's near impossible to come up with...a short list....for a lot of reasons. And unfortunately...touchdowns and dunks almost always overshadow the interceptions and blocks. It is entertaining to watch folks discuss the issue and these conversations are good for the game.
It’s about what you’ve done the whole year not just one game. Zia has plenty more games to continue to prove herself and the prior good games she had still stands. Scouts aren’t just watching players put the ball in the hoop. They’re watching for the intangibles as well. I don’t think a cold shooting performance is a huge detriment to her.

Reaction Score
It’s about what you’ve done the whole year not just one game. Zia has plenty more games to continue to prove herself and the prior good games she had still stands. Scouts aren’t just watching players put the ball in the hoop. They’re watching for the intangibles as well. I don’t think a cold shooting performance is a huge detriment to her.
In general...when teams are ranked there is consideration regarding the opponent. Like LSU is undefeated, but, folks still have their doubts because of who they played against. Of course, scouts watch different skills, but I'm sure none of them go and watch Zia for her defense. TBH...I never paid much attention. I know it's not horrific, but she's not Brea Beal. Nor are most players. And I'm sure these folks voting for these awards aren't looking at defense either...unless the vote is for NDPOY.

Zia has good numbers. The "intangible" for me is that when you delve into the numbers it's clear that she has struggled against all the ranked teams. It's just an observation. I defend Boston against the people who say her numbers are down this year. Yea...they are because SC blew out a lot of teams so she played fewer minutes. Her efficiency is still there.

It's either Boston or Clark who will win. I'm pretty certain about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has 1 player on the list and LSU, North Carolina and Tennessee(!) have 2 players. Amazing how UConn keeps winning without any good players. :rolleyes:
Wait, I only thought they won because they had all the best players?
Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Reaction Score
I watched the game. You can put her on the list if you like, as long as somewhere we’ll below Lou!

Reaction Score
We are talking about very good players on 2 of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. All the players playing significant minutes for these teams deserve praise and even award recognition. But this year Lou simply came out of nowhere to an AA worthy player. To be excluded from these lists is a joke.

Reaction Score
We are talking about very good players on 2 of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. All the players playing significant minutes for these teams deserve praise and even award recognition. But this year Lou simply came out of nowhere to an AA worthy player. To be excluded from these lists is a joke.
You're preaching to the choir here. Trust me. I get that initially most thought she would be a role player, but that ship sailed a while ago with all the injuries. Last year...five minutes into the Fairfield/Texas NCAA tournament game I was asking...WHO is that? Never thought she would end up at UCONN. I think she was also handicapped because of the Fairfield tag. I don't care if she played for the martian national team...she's a baller.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom