Aaliyah has 14& 11 in Canada loss to U.S. | The Boneyard

Aaliyah has 14& 11 in Canada loss to U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And she got some experience in playing against a team with Angel Reese (10 & 13). Could come in handy some day

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the fact that Aaliyah is a key player on the Canadian team, earning significant PT against top competition will serve her well heading into the season. This is in marked contrast to her experience on the Canadian Olympic team two years ago, when she was the 12th player on the roster, with little opportunity to play.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is there a replay of this game available anywhere?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is there a replay of this game available anywhere?
Found some highlights. Lots of one on one stuff, not much team ball. Prospre is going to ND

Reaction Score
Prosper and Aaliyah looked really good. Aaliyah played almost 39 mins and Canada took the lead with 2:00 to go.

I think Aaliyah is a good matchup for Angel. She’s not quite as quick, but she’s quite a bit stronger. Should be interesting to watch if we end up playing them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Prosper and Aaliyah looked really good. Aaliyah played almost 39 mins and Canada took the lead with 2:00 to go.

I think Aaliyah is a good matchup for Angel. She’s not quite as quick, but she’s quite a bit stronger. Should be interesting to watch if we end up playing them.
Aaliyah is also a tough matchup for Morrow. Unfortunately, Aaliyah can only guard one player at a time. A lot has to fall into place yet, but if UConn ultimately faces LSU I envision Aaliyah on Morrow and Aubrey on Reese.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is also a tough matchup for Morrow. Unfortunately, Aaliyah can only guard one player at a time. A lot has to fall into place yet, but if UConn ultimately faces LSU I envision Aaliyah on Morrow and Aubrey on Reese.
If Aubrey is guarding Reese UConn will be in trouble. Love Aubrey but she would be no match for Reese under the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Aubrey is guarding Reese UConn will be in trouble. Love Aubrey but she would be no match for Reese under the basket.
I have watched Aubrey reject shots from both Tamari Key of TN and Laeticia Amihere of SC, playing solid defense against both players. Reese is incredibly talented in the paint, but Aubrey’s strength, length & athleticism allow her to hold her own against bigger players in the paint. Either way, UConn has to match up with both Reese and Morrow, and as I said, Aaliyah can’t guard both at the same time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have watched Aubrey reject shots from both Tamari Key of TN and Laeticia Amihere of SC, playing solid defense against both players. Reese is incredibly talented in the paint, but Aubrey’s strength, length & athleticism allow her to hold her own against bigger players in the paint. Either way, UConn has to match up with both Reese and Morrow, and as I said, Aaliyah can’t guard both at the same time.
Key and Amihere are not even close to Reese when it comes to rebounding/scoring under the basket. Aubrey blocked Key as a help defender. Reese is taller and longer than Aubrey. Reese is no threat away from the basket but her ability to grab offensive boards and get put-backs is what makes her tough to stop. You need size and strength against her. Aaliyah, Ice and Jana will have to handle defense in the lane.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not to hijack this thread, but................talk about a player's stock rising.......Angel Reese WAS NOT a household name before the final four this past April. She is now. She has become very recognizable and has cashed in on some very lucrative NIL opportunities because of her newfound celebrity. Congrats to the US on winning that game. Canada proved to be a very tough out. I look for 6'7" Lauren Betts to be a nightmare matchup for UCLA's opponents the next 3 years.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aaliyah took 2 shots in the 4th quarter and both shots were during the same possession (she rebounded her miss and made the put-back).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Key and Amihere are not even close to Reese when it comes to rebounding/scoring under the basket. Aubrey blocked Key as a help defender. Reese is taller and longer than Aubrey. Reese is no threat away from the basket but her ability to grab offensive boards and get put-backs is what makes her tough to stop. You need size and strength against her. Aaliyah, Ice and Jana will have to handle defense in the lane.
Ice & Jana still need to find their sea legs before they are matched up with Reese, who ate up 5th year senior Monika Czinano in the national championship game. Ayanna might also be an option, if she steps up this season. Hopefully, all of the above are ready to play prime time minutes this coming season. We shall see.

Don’t sell Aubrey short however. She is UConn’s most versatile defender, capable of defending 1-5. The most important factor in defending Reese is footwork, as she loves to use her spin move in the paint to either side and she continuously works for position on the offensive boards..

Aubrey has excellent defensive footwork. She is very capable of shutting off Reese’s spin moves in the paint and boxing her out on the boards. It’s certainly not an easy task, but with Aaliyah presumably covering Morrow, UConn’s next best defensive option on Reese would be Aubrey, at this point in time.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ice & Jana still need to find their sea legs before they are matched up with Reese, who ate up 5th year senior Monika Czinano in the national championship game. Ayanna might also be an option, if she steps up this season. Hopefully, all of the above are ready to play prime time minutes this coming season. We shall see.

Don’t sell Aubrey short however. She is UConn’s most versatile defender, capable of defending 1-5. The most important factor in defending Reese is footwork, as she loves to use her spin move in the paint to either side and she continuously works for position on the offensive boards..

Aubrey has excellent defensive footwork. She is very capable of shutting off Reese’s spin moves in the paint and boxing her out on the boards. It’s certainly not an easy task, but with Aaliyah presumably covering Morrow, UConn’s next best defensive option on Reese would be Aubrey, at this point in time.
I'm not going back and forth with you. I disagree with your position.

Reaction Score
Watched only the last few minutes of the game and was disappointed by the game calling of the Canada coach....basically the Canada guards were just hoisting bad shots time and again instead of playing to the strength of the team (which are the bigs - Alexander, AE and Prosper))

Reaction Score

It’s going to have to be a committee effort: Aaliyah Aubrey Caroline Ice Ayanna Jana and Amari. The consolation I take from this, besides the 35 fouls we have to throw at the problem posed by Angel Aneesah Samiyah and Aliyah, is that a frontcourt is only as good as the backcourt that sets it up. I think that our backcourt will set up Aaliyah and Co to great advantage.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Prospre is already at ND. Played the second half of the year
Pleased with Cass Prosper's performance this game. She just turned 18 in June, so Cass is getting great experience at top levels, just as Aaliyah is. Will only help ND and UConn this upcoming year.

Reaction Score

The only elite team LSU beat last season was ???? The only elite team they played was SCar and they got smashed.
If signing elite free-agents was the path to titles the Yankees would be winning most every year. NDame did it with one signing, Shepard but the only coach that did it with two free agents was Summit when two of her Olympic teammates transfered to Knoxville after talking to Pat at the FF. Their arrival gave Pat her 1st title.

Reaction Score

Could the opposite work? Aubrey on Morrow while Aaliyah defends Reese?

Reaction Score
Could the opposite work? Aubrey on Morrow while Aaliyah defends Reese?
I don’t think Aubrey is strong enough to consistently defend Morrow in the low post. Speed and leaping are Aubrey’s super powers. I wouldn’t want to exhaust her with an assignment like that.

When Angel and Aneesah are on the floor together, it has to be Ice or Ayanna next to Aaliyah. If Aliyah del Rosario subs for one of them, then it’s time for Jana or Amari.

I think the more interesting possibility is putting Caroline on Angel with Aaliyah Ice or Ayanna on Morrow. Caroline gives up some length and quickness to Angel, but she’s very crafty in the paint. This might be a matchup that could work for a few minutes, as needed.

Maybe the best way to put it is that we should switch liberally on D. Help defense will be the team’s super power.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Aubrey is strong enough to consistently defend Morrow in the low post. Speed and leaping are Aubrey’s super powers. I wouldn’t want to exhaust her with an assignment like that.

When Angel and Aneesah are on the floor together, it has to be Ice or Ayanna next to Aaliyah. If Aliyah del Rosario subs for one of them, then it’s time for Jana or Amari.

I think the more interesting possibility is putting Caroline on Angel with Aaliyah Ice or Ayanna on Morrow. Caroline gives up some length and quickness to Angel, but she’s very crafty in the paint. This might be a matchup that could work for a few minutes, as needed.

Maybe the best way to put it is that we should switch liberally on D. Help defense will be the team’s super power.

See, I'm thinking of Aubrey's speed in this situation. Beat Morrow to the spot, draw a charge, etc. Plus Morrow likes to shoot from the 3 point line. Aubrey is sneaky in how she closes out sometimes

Reaction Score
See, I'm thinking of Aubrey's speed in this situation. Beat Morrow to the spot, draw a charge, etc. Plus Morrow likes to shoot from the 3 point line. Aubrey is sneaky in how she closes out sometimes
I hear you and there’s something to be said for that, especially on the perimeter. I just wouldn’t want to stick her with that assignment in the low post if it meant we lost her for the transition game.

Reaction Score
I’m with you on Jana. I think she’ll be awesome. And you’re right about Ayanna too. She’s only 6’2” but she can defend much taller players. She’s got that rare combination of strength and leaping ability.

Reaction Score
I hear you and there’s something to be said for that, especially on the perimeter. I just wouldn’t want to stick her with that assignment in the low post if it meant we lost her for the transition game.

For an entire game? I couldn't see that happening, but definitely sprinkle it in to frustrate Morrow and make her think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom