Aaliyah Edwards selected to U23 Team Canada | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards selected to U23 Team Canada

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards has been selected as one of 15 players to participate in Canada Basketball's U23 Women’s National Team training camp in Toronto, UConn announces.
The camp is being held from June 22-July 4 ahead of the inaugural GLOBAL JAM tournament, which tips off July 5.

I have mixed feelings about this. It didn't help last year. We don't need another set back.

1655143260762.png

Reaction Score
Here we go again….too much basketball at times gets you stale….you need a break….hopefully this time she will be fresh for the start of the season…is an honor to be selected but risky….

Reaction Score
We need to remember this is the U23 Canadian National Team, not the Olympic team with all ages, and quite a few former or current WNBA players. Last year she was probably the last player off the bench for "the" national team and they didn't have much practice time. I presume she will be far more involved with the U23 team from a playing time standpoint. I also hope they don't try to make her a 3, like the Olympic did.

Reaction Score
Posted this in the Global Jam thread when someone else expressed the set back concern.

"Understand the concern, however this may not be too bad overall. Her participating in this event has her back in CT before the end of July and she would continue her off-season training. A much shorter commitment in comparison to Worlds which would have her away from the team for a month in September."

It's a matter of perspective.

Reaction Score
Edwards improved her play last year after a change in her diet and conditioning. There is no direct correlation between her Canadian team experience and her subsequent UConn play in 20-21. Her trainer provided the path to improved play with a diet and conditioning program.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah Edwards has been selected as one of 15 players to participate in Canada Basketball's U23 Women’s National Team training camp in Toronto, UConn announces.
The camp is being held from June 22-July 4 ahead of the inaugural GLOBAL JAM tournament, which tips off July 5.

I have mixed feelings about this. It didn't help last year. We don't need another set back.

View attachment 76898
If last year is a harbinger of this year, Her game will be in the toilet until March. I really did not want to hear this. But maybe she will step it up a notch.

Reaction Score

View attachment 76898

So, hopefully, she won't start off slowly, as she did last year.

Reaction Score
It's an honor to play for your country. OK, I get it. But what does Canada know about WBB? Aside from a few excellent imports, they are all about hockey. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that there are more WBB players, sometimes from smaller countries, than Canada.

Jose at USF does have a Canadian and he knows his imports...

Reaction Score
It's an honor to play for your country. OK, I get it. But what does Canada know about WBB? Aside from a few excellent imports, they are all about hockey. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that there are more WBB players, sometimes from smaller countries, than Canada.

Jose at USF does have a Canadian and he knows his imports...

Really?????? First off a Canadian came up with the concept of the game. It's based off of a game with Scottish heritage. Duck on a rock - Wikipedia

I get that our history with international play isn't the same level as the US, but come on. We're more than hockey here. Heck, didn't our women's soccer team not beat the US on the way to gold in Tokyo?

I'll be the first to acknowledge that the investment in developing talent lagged BIG TIME, but looking at what's coming from Canada for men's and women's is definitely competitive. I don't understand why Aaliyah's desire to rep her country is getting shot down while some of her team mates are doing the same.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Do the naysayers really think Edwards didn‘t discuss this with Geno and get the green light from him? Don’t forget Nika had the opportunity to try out for the Croatian team last summer and Geno recommended against it. He, who knows more than any of us, thought the risks were greater than the rewards in that case, not so in Edwards’s case with Canada.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really?????? First off a Canadian came up with the concept of the game. It's based off of a game with Scottish heritage. Duck on a rock - Wikipedia

I get that our history with international play isn't the same level as the US, but come on. We're more than hockey here. Heck, didn't our women's soccer team not beat the US on the way to gold in Tokyo?

I'll be the first to acknowledge that the investment in developing talent lagged BIG TIME, but looking at what's coming from Canada for men's and women's is definitely competitive. I don't understand why Aaliyah's desire to rep her country is getting shot down while some of her team mates are doing the same.
This was meant as a tweak to our friends to the north. Thanks for responding. BTW, despite every grade school and high school having a women's soccer team, only the US national women's soccer team gets any significant coverage (because they usually put an excellent team on the field).

OK, I just gave a big target for coming missiles. Fire away you soccer fans :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
would rather not risk injury playing in these tournaments.
The negativity began with the title of this thread, try not to be so easily misled. This is not a tournament Aaliyah has been invited to a training camp. Regardless, can you please point to us to any tournament, training camp, or practice where the risk of injury does not exists.

Reaction Score
The negativity began with the title of this thread, try not to be so easily misled. This is not a tournament Aaliyah has been invited to a training camp. Regardless, can you please point to us to any tournament, training camp, or practice where the risk of injury does not exists.
sorry but just what happened with her last season in the Olympics seems that ruined her season at Uconn. Does she want a repeat of that? I don't think I'm the only person that has posted the same. She got no playing time in the Olympics, so basically was riding the bench for 2 weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom