Aaliyah Edwards named big east player of the week | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards named big east player of the week

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is blossoming into the star that many of us knew/thought she could be. It's a beautiful thing to see. When needed more than ever in Dorka's absence, her play against NC State and Iowa was at an AA level.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is blossoming into the star that many of us knew/thought she could be. It's a beautiful thing to see. When needed more than ever in Dorka's absence, her play against NC State and Iowa was at an AA level.
She is so much more than scorer.

Reaction Score
LOL...you have to wonder if Alliyah will remove her face mask when it is safe to play without it. She has excelled wearing the mask & might consider it a good luck charm.
Or maybe it magnifies the basket for her to hit those outside jumpers! ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tina Charles. AE, who is becoming a monster on the boards and hitting that high release outside shot with consistency, all in her junior and senior year, is starting to look a lot like her. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles. AE, who is becoming a monster on the boards and hitting that high release outside shot with consistency, all in her junior and senior year, is starting to look a lot like her. Just sayin'.
I was thinking the same thing! Are we seeing a Tina Charles type transformation in AE's junior year????

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I like this Geno quote:
"So for Aaliyah, getting a double-double, that should be the baseline for her, it should never be lower than that. It’s a lot. But you’re a junior, man. You’re a junior playing at UConn, you’ve got to be like a pro. Our juniors and seniors, they’ve got to play like pros. I mean, nobody gets a medal for showing up at UConn, there’s no praise if we finish fourth."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Congrats, Aaliyah! Loved her “Dream Shake” in the post and kissed it off the glass for two. That was a wow moment for me. I haven’t seen that in the first couple of games or maybe I missed it. Anyways, we need more of that.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I like this Geno quote:
"So for Aaliyah, getting a double-double, that should be the baseline for her, it should never be lower than that. It’s a lot. But you’re a junior, man. You’re a junior playing at UConn, you’ve got to be like a pro. Our juniors and seniors, they’ve got to play like pros. I mean, nobody gets a medal for showing up at UConn, there’s no praise if we finish fourth."
Pretty much the same thing he said about Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
I like this Geno quote:
I remember him saying almost the same thing about Tina Charles....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So far this year, every one of UConn's opponents has presumed that it isn't necessary to guard the foul line jump shot from either Aaliyah or Aubrey because (they think) both of them are going to hit such a low percentage and leave such fat rebounds that the defense might as well let them fire away.

At the Portland tournament, not only Aaliyah but Aubrey showed that is no longer the case. And we know that Dorka, when healthy, has that shot also, with high reliability. Whether the defense is zone or man, if the defense has to seriously contest that shot, it distorts the whole defensive shape -- bigs have to come out of rebounding position, people guarding perimeter shooters have to collapse to the foul line, and usually defensive chaos ensues.

Brittney Griner used to have that shot, and for UConn, Stef Dolson and Asjha Jones did. But there haven't been a lot of bigs in college basketball who could hit that shot and still mix it up in the paint. Now this UConn team may have three players who can do that (although I still don't think Aubrey is really playing as a forward).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom