Aaliyah Doing Her Things | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Doing Her Things

Reaction Score
I am so glad the Canadians are putting Edwards in her natural role as PF. The few clips I saw in her previous time with the national team they made her a wing player which just isn't her. This is her natural power game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A little this, a little that and a whole lot of hustle.

Those highlights were amazing. They show how much Aaliyah has grown and matured the last 3 years. There is no reason Aaliyah can't play like this in every game. Consistency is the name of the game. Aaliyah IS NOT a magician. She will show up for every game. You know exactly what you're going to get from her every night. I see no reason she can't average a double-double this season, and prove to herself and others that she's ready to move on to the WNBA.

We've been talking about how formidable Jana can be, and how good Paige and Azzi can be. Aaliyah must be included in those thoughts and conversations. Aaliyah is already a nightmare for opponents. Every year, her teammates say how aggressive she is, and how much more aggressive she is than last year. I love her willingness to attack the rim. Hopefully Geno will put her in a position to be successful.
She's still wearing the face mask. No need to discard it now. It's not hindering her play one bit.

This year, she needs to bear down even more, and become a focus for opponents to try and stop or slow down. We have several players on this year's team that are sure to be fun to watch. Aaliyah is definitely one of them. I'm looking forward to seeing her "dominate" the competition.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I dunno... her motor seems a little slow and :D... oh never mind. I can't find a single thing to nitpick about her game... LOL!

Her shot repertoire is incredible - she was really good at the mid-range game last season, and I think she will be even better this season. She should be an AA - and maybe even a darkhorse candidate for NPOY.

Reaction Score
A little this, a little that and a whole lot of hustle.

Did anyone notice who was covering Aaliyah in that USA vs Canada game?
None other than ANGEL REESE! Watch the highlights again. Aaliyah
beat her underneath, Aaliyah shot over her from outside (mid-range)
and Aaliyah got behind Angel on a good hustle play. You can tell that it
was Angel by the sleeve Angel wears on one of her legs = quite a
performance by Aaliyah!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I dunno... her motor seems a little slow and :D... oh never mind. I can't find a single thing to nitpick about her game... LOL!

Her shot repertoire is incredible - she was really good at the mid-range game last season, and I think she will be even better this season. She should be an AA - and maybe even a darkhorse candidate for NPOY.
With all the great things we're hearing and seeing about this team so far this summer, this is proving to be a great time to be a UConn WBB fan. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice who was covering Aaliyah in that USA vs Canada game?
None other than ANGEL REESE! Watch the highlights again. Aaliyah
beat her underneath, Aaliyah shot over her from outside (mid-range)
and Aaliyah got behind Angel on a good hustle play. You can tell that it
was Angel by the sleeve Angel wears on one of her legs = quite a
performance by Aaliyah!
To be fair, Reese had a big offensive game as well, with Aaliyah primarily defending her. There were several plays when Reese received the ball in the low blocks and simply spun by Aaliyah for layups. Should UConn & LSU meet up in the Big Dance, hopefully the championship, it will absolutely be “Must See TV!”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To be fair, Reese had a big offensive game as well, with Aaliyah primarily defending her. There were several plays when Reese received the ball in the low blocks and simply spun by Aaliyah for layups. Should UConn & LSU meet up in the Big Dance, hopefully the championship, it will absolutely be “Must See TV!”
Geez, who wants to be fair! We're fans. We could be penalized for being fair! :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here's hilites from Canada v. USA over a week ago. She makes it work. Seems like more than 14.

Carnac

Reaction Score

This has been posted before. Some of you may have missed it. In football, there's a saying that "any play good enough to run once, is good enough to run twice." So are some videos. :cool:

Is this Canadian the reason UCONN will add to their dynasty?​

Reaction Score
With all the great things we're hearing and seeing about this team so far this summer, this is proving to be a great time to be a UConn WBB fan. ;)
Again I agree with you 100%. With the roster we now have I believe we have the makings of TWO starting fives, 3 seasoned players and 2 freshmen. Aaliyah, Paige and Azzi. with Ashland and Kamora. Second five, Ice Brady ,Nika, Aubrey, and Jana and Caroline. Good height and good 3-point shooters and strong defense from either team. Just a thought. Comments from the more knowledgeable Posters?

Reaction Score
Again I agree with you 100%. With the roster we now have I believe we have the makings of TWO starting fives, 3 seasoned players and 2 freshmen. Aaliyah, Paige and Azzi. with Ashland and Kamora. Second five, Ice Brady ,Nika, Aubrey, and Jana and Caroline. Good height and good 3-point shooters and strong defense from either team. Just a thought. Comments from the more knowledgeable Posters?
You’d have some potentially sporty reserves as well in Q, Ayanna, Amari, and Ines! I believe we will hear from all those players before they leave here. I suppose, for many, Amari is now considered a long shot but I still believe she will step up before she leaves! I’m thinking Ashlynn and Jana should switch places though.

Reaction Score
Those highlights were amazing. They show how much Aaliyah has grown and matured the last 3 years. There is no reason Aaliyah can't play like this in every game. Consistency is the name of the game. Aaliyah IS NOT a magician. She will show up for every game. You know exactly what you're going to get from her every night. I see no reason she can't average a double-double this season, and prove to herself and others that she's ready to move on to the WNBA.

We've been talking about how formidable Jana can be, and how good Paige and Azzi can be. Aaliyah must be included in those thoughts and conversations. Aaliyah is already a nightmare for opponents. Every year, her teammates say how aggressive she is, and how much more aggressive she is than last year. I love her willingness to attack the rim. Hopefully Geno will put her in a position to be successful.
She's still wearing the face mask. No need to discard it now. It's not hindering her play one bit.

This year, she needs to bear down even more, and become a focus for opponents to try and stop or slow down. We have several players on this year's team that are sure to be fun to watch. Aaliyah is definitely one of them. I'm looking forward to seeing her "dominate" the competition.
This right here. Last year, Aaliyah asserted herself as a force in the program. My hope is that she continues that role and that really depends on the coaching staff. With so many options on offense, I am hoping that each player; Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah, and whoever else is on the floor, remember what Lou Lopez did last year, she was in attack mode. She was aggressive. She looked for her shot.

I am hoping that Aaliyah does not defer too much this season. I mean it is going to be a balancing act with so many options and each player trying to either establish themselves or reclaim their glory. But if Aaliyah, the players, with help from the coaching staff, can understand their roles and buy into those roles, great things can happen for everyone.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You can bet there will be some "lively" inter-squad games once practice begins. I can't see the freshmen or any of the reserves holding back or being intimidated by the starting unit. That is what you want from your bench.....to push the starters to the limit and beyond. :cool:
Geno is going to have lots of options when he wants to substitute players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This right here. Last year, Aaliyah asserted herself as a force in the program. My hope is that she continues that role and that really depends on the coaching staff. With so many options on offense, I am hoping that each player; Azzi, Paige, Aaliyah, and whoever else is on the floor, remember what Lou Lopez did last year, she was in attack mode. She was aggressive. She looked for her shot.

I am hoping that Aaliyah does not defer too much this season. I mean it is going to be a balancing act with so many options and each player trying to either establish themselves or reclaim their glory. But if Aaliyah, the players, with help from the coaching staff, can understand their roles and buy into those roles, great things can happen for everyone.
In a recent interview, Aaliyah said that last year, she felt that she was "easy to guard." She didn't like that, and has vowed that won't be the case THIS year. She'll play within the flow of the system and the game, but will look for her shot, and be Uber aggressive. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom