AAC vs Big East records | The Boneyard

AAC vs Big East records

Reaction Score
We have had some debate on here about the historical records of the Big East.

The Big East is celebrating the 40th anniversary this year. Markus Howard is noted for passing Moten this year for a Big East record of in-conference points. The Big East obviously recognizes the continuity of its conference.

In the Temple - Nova broadcast Sunday the ESPN crew noted the Quinton Rose had just set the career STEALS record for the AAC. 200 and something. It struck me as the AAC must not recognize old Big East records / legacy as part of the conference. ESPN is the conference broadcast partner, so I'm guessing this is the official practice of the conference.

It seems like this should be obvious. The Big East going forward looks more like the Big East of 1985. More original than the ACC. The Big 12 wasn't even formed until the mid 1990s. The Big East is The Big East.

The remaining ties The AAC has to the Big East is Cincy and USF.

9 of the 10 remaining full (hoops+football) AAC members are former CUSA. Temple is the other, former A10. The AAC is CUSA 2.0.

Is this AAC clutching the Big East history just a BY phenomenon, or is the clutching more widespread to the other AAC members?

Reaction Score
All this denigrating of the AAC is just so overdone now. Move on. No one cares anymore, UConn is out of the AAC. Let's not pretend the Big East is anything near what it was when Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincy, etc were also part of it. UConn is going to be just fine, and so is the AAC as the 7th best conference (some years maybe 5th or 6th.)

Reaction Score
We have had some debate on here about the historical records of the Big East.

The Big East is celebrating the 40th anniversary this year. Markus Howard is noted for passing Moten this year for a Big East record of in-conference points. The Big East obviously recognizes the continuity of its conference.

In the Temple - Nova broadcast Sunday the ESPN crew noted the Quinton Rose had just set the career STEALS record for the AAC. 200 and something. It struck me as the AAC must not recognize old Big East records / legacy as part of the conference. ESPN is the conference broadcast partner, so I'm guessing this is the official practice of the conference.

It seems like this should be obvious. The Big East going forward looks more like the Big East of 1985. More original than the ACC. The Big 12 wasn't even formed until the mid 1990s. The Big East is The Big East.

The remaining ties The AAC has to the Big East is Cincy and USF.

9 of the 10 remaining full (hoops+football) AAC members are former CUSA. Temple is the other, former A10. The AAC is CUSA 2.0.

Is this AAC clutching the Big East history just a BY phenomenon, or is the clutching more widespread to the other AAC members?
There has been so much conference movement in the past 20 years it’s hard to truly disseminate the “true” conferences. Cincinnati was in the Big East technically only 8 years (2005-2013) out of their over 100 years of existience and USF has a short history but spent more time in Conference USA than the Big East as well. It pains me anytime they’re in the discussions of the original Big East as much as if pains me the reality that UConn has spent the last 7 years in basically Conference USA

Reaction Score
All this denigrating of the AAC is just so overdone now. Move on. No one cares anymore, UConn is out of the AAC. Let's not pretend the Big East is anything near what it was when Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincy, etc were also part of it. UConn is going to be just fine, and so is the AAC as the 7th best conference (some years maybe 5th or 6th.)
It’s not denigrating the AAC. Like I said, there is a lot of discussion here about the Big East’s history. I would not have thought of it if not for the BY, but because of the BY I assumed there was some larger following that claimed the oBE history as the AAC.

It seems that even the AAC considers its historical records starting when it became the AAC in the split.

As for the teams you mentioned, only Cuse would bring anything to the Conference. Ville, Pitt, and WVU are misfits.

Reaction Score
It’s not denigrating the AAC. Like I said, there is a lot of discussion here about the Big East’s history. I would not have thought of it if not for the BY, but because of the BY I assumed there was some larger following that claimed the oBE history as the AAC.

It seems that even the AAC considers its historical records starting when it became the AAC in the split.

As for the teams you mentioned, only Cuse would bring anything to the Conference. Ville, Pitt, and WVU are misfits.

Yeah I guess I don't get the whole 'it'll never be like it was' argument because, well - nothing is, really.

Taking things from a squarely UConn-centric point of view, we only lose one or two rivals from the original conference (Pitt and Syracuse) and one or both of those could potentially be scheduled out of conference anyway in the future.

And that aside, Seton Hall has emerged as a national power again and Georgetown is right around our general vicinity in terms of getting their mojo back as well. To have a strong Villanova, UConn, Georgetown and Seton Hall... that's pretty exciting on its own. That's not getting into some of the additions in recent years. Xavier feels like that'll turn into a fun rivalry game and Creighton, Butler and Marquette don't suck.

It'll be similar but different and i'm fine with that. It's still a huge step up from this miserable pile of a conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom