AAC True P6? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC True P6?

Reaction Score
Because UConn is a flagship state U, and has done amazing things in one of the two sports that matter, we stand apart in the AAC and the G5 really. Had Nevada done great things, so would they. Or Wyoming. Or New Mexico. You can pretend it doesn't matter, that this is a meritocracy of some kind, but it is not. UCF puts out loads of alumni, who all root for Florida or Florida State. That's how this works. By the way, when it stops working, when people stop following what is effectively AAA baseball level football and basketball because it is played by the beloved local flagship state U or reverd private U, college sports will be over. Do you see a lot of minor league baseball or hockey on TV? The Providence Bruins would destroy any college team and nobody cares. The attachment to a few major universities, irrationaly really, drives all of this. College sports being what it is doesn't even make logical sense. So don't expect much to change.

But ... you are saying this will BE this way forever.

In my life, that just isn't the case. Change. UConn winning in 1999 was mindblowing for some. In Football, I do not think the status quo - as defined by ESPN (and people in colored Bowl Blazers) necessarily will remain that way. Why? Simple. Cord cutting is revolutionary. Other things. This technology changes are like when Talkies came in with RKO in 1928. We simply do not know what is coming.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
But ... you are saying this will BE this way forever.

In my life, that just isn't the case. Change. UConn winning in 1999 was mindblowing for some. In Football, I do not think the status quo - as defined by ESPN (and people in colored Bowl Blazers) necessarily will remain that way. Why? Simple. Cord cutting is revolutionary. Other things. This technology changes are like when Talkies came in with RKO in 1928. We simply do not know what is coming.
Oh sweet child, I wish I was as naive as you. The status quo in football especially is one thing you can be sure will be maintained. As for cord cutting and tech change, that only strengthens an established P5 conferences position while simultaneously weakening a G5s. Cord cutting still requires avenues for revenue, and ESPN and public perception currently really only believes the "P5" to be a product worthy of big time college sports money and subsequent cost for their services.

No internet provider will be ponying up big dollars to stream AAC rights to games, because no significant consumer demographic will pay for it.

ESPN has every casual fan convinced that P5 = real college sports, because it solidifies their bottom line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I have to agree that cord cutting and alternative television options only favor the schools already at the top. More likely they start dumping the Wakes and BCs than anyone joins them.

Reaction Score
1. No.
2. Moot.

Reality realigns to perception far easier than the other way around. Right now the AAC is inferior by virtue of being classified as a G5 conference and there really is no way around that. The five big brothers and Notre Dame formed a club and the books are closed on membership because 92% of the more prestigious programs in the country are in the club.

The Networks are going to use it as a negotiation ploy with the little bothers and that's where the money is. Even if the AAC performed better than a P5 conference or two, the networks are going to chalk it up to an outlier season.

I think the AAC will probably get a little more money, but it won't approach P5 level unless and until there is a major realignment shakeup.
You had me in total agreement up to the point where you thought the AAC would get more money. Never going to happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aresco is just doing his job and trying to get a better TV deal. I suspect it will be a little better, because it can't be any worse.
I never thought I would accuse you of being unduly optimistic about the American's finances, and yet here I am.

It can get worse mostly because there is no competition for our product.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I guess for me anything related to UConn athletics is do we have a path to a national championship? All the intervening stuff is great, but with out that ultimate prize hanging out there then its just a demonstration sport.

Reaction Score
Aresco has to to a better job getting bowl affiliations. That is what would make this conference a P6. I know he was dealt a bad hand but.....

Reaction Score
I think the conference is gonna be fine for the most part, it's just the lack of rivalries and meaningful games - not so much in terms of standings, but rather in terms of traditional rivalries you can build around. The thing that made the Big East such an easy sell in it's hay day was geographic proximity and easy to televise and promote those local rivalries. I mean there isn't a single game in this conference I really 'get up' for anymore, even when they share some sort of significance to the team's future.

To encapsulate that - I got more excited to watch UConn-Syracuse in a year where both teams are *waaaaaay* below standards and all that is on the line is avoiding abject free fall - than say, the UConn-SMU game towards the end of last year.

SO I think the enthusiasm thing is going to be a big deal. Again, part of the selling point with the Big East was not just those rivalries, but the colorful coaching personalities, etc. Those just aren't in this conference. And the draw play to get there is going to be even more difficult.

That being said, it's the best play for the meantime until the school figures out what it wants it's athletic future to be, ultimately. I think if they draw back on football, they likely won't waste much time moving to the Big East. I think if football is the double down, then waiting around's the best thing to do. I do wonder if the wild card in the conference realignment game will be - rather than a grab for more teams - be the shedding of a few and strategic additions. Like I don't understand how much or what Boston College is really bringing to the ACC at this point - and UConn - for as bad as we've been in football, are a lateral move there with a significant upgrade in literally *everything* else. The pending Big XII blow up will be interesting to watch and how that shakes out.

The third wild card is going to be that Big XII break up and what the American can do in that reshuffle. While you know Texas and Oklahoma find P5 homes; there's going to be some really wild left overs out there. I dunno if Kansas is a slam dunk for a P5 (err P4). Iowa State will be interesting to watch. Oklahoma State PROBABLY gets an invite, but then again... Baylor is kind of nuclear right now and while TCU is spending gallons everywhere, are they appealing enough so long as you get OU and Texas out of the deal? West Virginia is the other one who I think might get the benefit of the doubt... Kansas State gets left out. Texas Tech probably gets left out. So then... I mean there's a lot of ways to make things interesting, there.

So who knows. When I think there isn't any more time left to make up a decision I look up and go - 'man, doing anything now minus accepting a random invite would be nuts". So I dunno. Stay the course. At least with hoops. Keep Syracuse and Georgetown on your schedule. Try like crazy to snag Villanova and beef up the lower part of the schedule. I know people will roll their eyes, but is it really that lame to kick a Wagner/Northeastern/BU and add a UMass? Or Seton Hall? Just do something to bring your bottom up. Heck - maybe Xavier wants to roll. I feel like there's legit options. Maybe even a west coast home and home with say... a UCLA or Oregon. Spitballing, but there's ways around it. Keep what you've got on the schedule, slap one more big time match up on there, and bring up two match ups to a mid major status and I think you keep things interesting enough.

Reaction Score
I think the conference is gonna be fine for the most part, it's just the lack of rivalries and meaningful games - not so much in terms of standings, but rather in terms of traditional rivalries you can build around. The thing that made the Big East such an easy sell in it's hay day was geographic proximity and easy to televise and promote those local rivalries. I mean there isn't a single game in this conference I really 'get up' for anymore, even when they share some sort of significance to the team's future.

To encapsulate that - I got more excited to watch UConn-Syracuse in a year where both teams are *waaaaaay* below standards and all that is on the line is avoiding abject free fall - than say, the UConn-SMU game towards the end of last year.

SO I think the enthusiasm thing is going to be a big deal. Again, part of the selling point with the Big East was not just those rivalries, but the colorful coaching personalities, etc. Those just aren't in this conference. And the draw play to get there is going to be even more difficult.

That being said, it's the best play for the meantime until the school figures out what it wants it's athletic future to be, ultimately. I think if they draw back on football, they likely won't waste much time moving to the Big East. I think if football is the double down, then waiting around's the best thing to do. I do wonder if the wild card in the conference realignment game will be - rather than a grab for more teams - be the shedding of a few and strategic additions. Like I don't understand how much or what Boston College is really bringing to the ACC at this point - and UConn - for as bad as we've been in football, are a lateral move there with a significant upgrade in literally *everything* else. The pending Big XII blow up will be interesting to watch and how that shakes out.

The third wild card is going to be that Big XII break up and what the American can do in that reshuffle. While you know Texas and Oklahoma find P5 homes; there's going to be some really wild left overs out there. I dunno if Kansas is a slam dunk for a P5 (err P4). Iowa State will be interesting to watch. Oklahoma State PROBABLY gets an invite, but then again... Baylor is kind of nuclear right now and while TCU is spending gallons everywhere, are they appealing enough so long as you get OU and Texas out of the deal? West Virginia is the other one who I think might get the benefit of the doubt... Kansas State gets left out. Texas Tech probably gets left out. So then... I mean there's a lot of ways to make things interesting, there.

So who knows. When I think there isn't any more time left to make up a decision I look up and go - 'man, doing anything now minus accepting a random invite would be nuts". So I dunno. Stay the course. At least with hoops. Keep Syracuse and Georgetown on your schedule. Try like crazy to snag Villanova and beef up the lower part of the schedule. I know people will roll their eyes, but is it really that lame to kick a Wagner/Northeastern/BU and add a UMass? Or Seton Hall? Just do something to bring your bottom up. Heck - maybe Xavier wants to roll. I feel like there's legit options. Maybe even a west coast home and home with say... a UCLA or Oregon. Spitballing, but there's ways around it. Keep what you've got on the schedule, slap one more big time match up on there, and bring up two match ups to a mid major status and I think you keep things interesting enough.

Fact is ... we are so new to FBS football, that all of our most desired games ARE NOT rivalries yet. There is no reason a yearly game against Navy should not rank ... in a UConn fan's eyes ... equal to Syracuse or Pitt eventually. We just tie on names. We did lose something by Syracuse, BC and Pitt going into the ACC; they lost a lot too actually.

As for Hoop? You really think Seton Hall brings anything? Huh. I watched them from 1979 to 2011 and I thought there were 2-3 years that they made me look forward to a game. That is not our equivalent to Wagner or BU or Northeastern (the latter 2 are New England schools we have played since the 1930s). We do have cross country games - regularly. Florida series ended a few years ago; Texas last year; Ohio State this year; and we will have others. The real drag on Hoop is that ALL the American members are trying to climb up and they aren't very good (RPI or eyeball test) yet. Aresco could improve the viability of the hoop side with a Wichita or VCU (regular to 30 clubs that could actually get better with a better conference); and hope Johnny Dawkings or Mike Dunleavy or Tubby Smith actually produce something good.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This conversation really doesn't matter that much anymore. I had to listen to the local Philly radio station talk about how Baylor was a football power today.. when they covered them hiring Rhule away from Temple. A program with a 0.512 all time winning percentage! Baylor! For most of my life Baylor has been a laughing stock, along with Temple and Rutgers. Institutional memory is actually pretty short. We need to win. That's the single biggest issue with UConn. You win and people start calling you a power. Does UConn based on the overall strength of the athletic department deserve to be in a P5? ABSOLUTELY. Does Rutgers or Boston College? Not on your life. But that's not the world we live in.

We need to fire Diaco. Hire someone who can coach an offenses... and hang on to them. It's pretty much the only way we're going to get a seat at the big boy table. If we win 9,10 games three years in a row... you want to bet some people will start to re-evaluate our position in the world? Short of that... we might get included in what's left if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12... maybe.

Reaction Score
Boston College was Final AP Ranked...1984, 1985, 1986, 1992. 1993, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

At one time, they played decent football with runs in the rankings in three different decades.

They have faded ...bad coaching, mediocre recruiting and lack of institutional interest all contributed.

While UConn doesn't have that ranking history, the football program had some success. Coaching, recruiting and interest will determine where the program goes next.

Reaction Score
Boston College was Final AP Ranked...1984, 1985, 1986, 1992. 1993, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

At one time, they played decent football with runs in the rankings in three different decades.

They have faded ...bad coaching, mediocre recruiting and lack of institutional interest all contributed.

While UConn doesn't have that ranking history, the football program had some success. Coaching, recruiting and interest will determine where the program goes next.
Right next to bad coaching..maybe at the top of the list is horrible facilities. They pretty much have the same facilities they had when ranked in the dates you provided. Their plans for new facilities are only on paper and aren't even a blip on the radar screen.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
In some ways, I feel that we are positioned well for the future:

1. P4 is coming, probably with the demise of the Big12. That means a reshuffling for seats in the 4 power lifeboats. We will be competing against current P5 members for one of those seats, so we have to look better than them.

2. It will be easier for us to look strong in football in the AAC than a P5 conference. In anticipation of the P4 scenario, I would rather develop and grow in the AAC than be like BC or Rutgers as the laughing stocks and perennial doormats of their conferences. We have years to make this happen since the TV contracts run the schedule. With time and space to grow, we can become dominant in the AAC in football.

3. If we become the big fish in our football pond and maintain our strengths (hoops, soccer, field hockey, baseball, academic reputation, and state flag-ship status) we will be stronger in the P4 conversation than Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, K State, Texas Tech, etc.

Reaction Score
Did the Big 12 really play just 9 qualifying games? I am no mathematician, but that seems to be less than 1 per team. That can be true.

Related Note: Do NOT type theBig12.com into a browser at your job.

Texas v Cal
Texas v Notre Dame
Oklahoma v Ohio St
Okla St v Pitt
Texas Tech v Arizona St
TCU v Arkansas
Kansas State v Stanford
WVU v Mizzou
Iowa St v Iowa

3 from the Pac 12, 2 from B1G, 2 from SEC, 1 from ACC, plus Notre Dame.

Baylor and Kansas played no P5 opponents, but each played one team from the AAC. WVU played BYU and Oklahoma played Houston, in terms of top tier G5 opponents.

Reaction Score
Texas v Cal
Texas v Notre Dame
Oklahoma v Ohio St
Okla St v Pitt
Texas Tech v Arizona St
TCU v Arkansas
Kansas State v Stanford
WVU v Mizzou
Iowa St v Iowa

3 from the Pac 12, 2 from B1G, 2 from SEC, 1 from ACC, plus Notre Dame.

Baylor and Kansas played no P5 opponents, but each played one team from the AAC. WVU played BYU and Oklahoma played Houston, in terms of top tier G5 opponents.

Damn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom